Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
weso12

Default Should Overweight, Fat, Very Fat be 0-point features?

After reading the rules for them it looks like from a balance stand-point there isn't much penalty considering the benefits, especially when comparing them unnatural features. (which appears to be the only lisited penalties, since the health cap is a taboo trait, and weight is a 0 point feature if I understand the rules correctly.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Should Overweight, Fat, Very Fat be 0-point features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
After reading the rules for them it looks like from a balance stand-point there isn't much penalty considering the benefits, especially when comparing them unnatural features. (which appears to be the only lisited penalties, since the health cap is a taboo trait, and weight is a 0 point feature if I understand the rules correctly.
Theres a CAP for HT at fat and very fat, seems disadvantageous to me
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
weso12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
Theres a CAP for HT at fat and very fat, seems disadvantageous to me
It's functionally a taboo trait. Taboo traits are 0 points.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
What do you mean by taboo trait
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
weso12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
What do you mean by taboo trait
B261 "Features and Taboo Trait
Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Lia Valenth

Quote:
I disagree, a Taboo Trait is a trait your race has 0 in because they do not need/use it and cannot be used against them. For example, Machines have Taboo Trait (Fixed FP) [0] and Reduced FP -10 [-30], but they cannot be damaged by Fatigue attacks.

You, with the Fat or Very Fat disadvantage, are unlike the rest of your race in that you cannot have an HT above a certain point.

EDIT: on the other hand, I do see the argument of this being (almost) free points. If you wouldn't have HT above 15 anyway, Fat does not really give notable disadvantages (IMO)...
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
weso12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
I disagree, a Taboo Trait is a trait your race has 0 in because they do not need/use it and cannot be used against them. For example, Machines have Taboo Trait (Fixed FP) [0] and Reduced FP -10 [-30], but they cannot be damaged by Fatigue attacks.

You, with the Fat or Very Fat disadvantage, are unlike the rest of your race in that you cannot have an HT above a certain point.
Okay whats the hindrance to a 10 HT very fat person that his HT is capped at 13 none.

Also Taboo traits can be capped at numbers other than 0, for examples animals have Taboo Trait (fixed IQ) but the number their IQ is depends on the species.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #8
Mailanka

They apply a penalty to shadowing and disguise, which makes them very similar to Unnatural Feature, which is (appropriately IMO) worth -1 point. The idea, I suppose, is that fat people aren't average and thus more likely to stand out. On the other hand, they do give a slight bonus too, which makes them sound more feature-y.

In ye olde days, they used to also give you additional weight that counted against your encumbrance, which I rather liked (a really fat guy would have a hard time running and dodging, while a ridiculously fat guy in this version has no problem taking HT 13 and Very Fit and out running you, if he wants)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Yeah the writeup forgot to mention one detail. Clothes. No normal set of armour will fit Volstagg the Voluminous
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:31 AM   #10
cdru

You can't use clothing for average,skinny or overweight build when fat or very fat and clothing for your build costs more.For example,you can't take clothes from most people.Being more noticeable is also worth points

Last edited by cdru; 01-24-2016 at 03:37 AM.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote