Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Making metal transparent

Woulnd't the rust count as a component of the metal and therefore magically stay transparent as well?
I suppose that would be one way to dial back the power of the enchantment.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
mlangsdorf

Since metal control (Cosmetic) explicitly includes the ability to polish metal and remove grime, and the smith-priest who is making this armor is only making it for senior leaders of the army (the PCs), it's not a big deal if she has to spend ten minutes/day performing a minor miracle to keeping their gear clean.

Failing that, they literally have an army to do scut work like keeping their gear maintained.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Woulnd't the rust count as a component of the metal and therefore magically stay transparent as well?
I suppose that would be one way to dial back the power of the enchantment.
I am sure that's how the actual Enchntment works. You'd have to talk to the GM who made up this particular Control Metal thing for how it works. That's not from any book.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I am sure that's how the actual Enchntment works. You'd have to talk to the GM who made up this particular Control Metal thing for how it works. That's not from any book.
Control Metal is the Control advantage from GURPS Powers, not an enchantment or spell. Control Metal is a RAW example.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Control Metal is the Control advantage from GURPS Powers, not an enchantment or spell. Control Metal is a RAW example.
"This particular Control Metal thing" was meant to refer to the use in question i.e. making metal permanently transparent as a "Cosmetic" modification. I know where Control Metal comes from.

Indeed, p.91-92 of Powers mention using Control Metal to make "cosmetic" changes such as removing corrosion or making the metal shiny. Causing the target to permanently change how it reacts to the laws of physics seems a bit of a stretch.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
starslayer

I just reread control, I don't think it can make metal translucent at all (since metal is not in any natural state translucent where it can still provide effective DR).

Further translucent is NOT transparent.
http://slideplayer.com/slide/8349700...ranslucent.jpg

The correct way to do this is probably some sort of penetrating vision build, I will ponder it later.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I just reread control, I don't think it can make metal translucent at all (since metal is not in any natural state translucent where it can still provide effective DR).

[snip]

The correct way to do this is probably some sort of penetrating vision build, I will ponder it later.
Actually, I think Control with an appropriate Cosmic modifier should be able to do it. I'd call it something like +100% for "can change basic physical properties". That would do things like let you make metal transparent, change the melting temperature of a substance, make something radioactive or not, change a substance's tensile or compressive strength, and so on. I'd say those changes would all be temporary, only preserved as long as you were actively controlling it, unless you added a further +150% to make them permanent. If you wanted to be able to make just a single type of change, it would be +20%, or +50% to make permanent changes.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Actually, I think Control with an appropriate Cosmic modifier should be able to do it. I'd call it something like +100% for "can change basic physical properties". That would do things like let you make metal transparent, change the melting temperature of a substance, make something radioactive or not, change a substance's tensile or compressive strength, and so on. I'd say those changes would all be temporary, only preserved as long as you were actively controlling it, unless you added a further +150% to make them permanent. If you wanted to be able to make just a single type of change, it would be +20%, or +50% to make permanent changes.
Yes, that would probably do it too, but the original build was control (metal) cosmetic. Being proposed as a cantrip for sorcerers to make permanently clear helmets.

Your build is coming in at about 60-120 points which seems accurate for that level of control, but well outside cantrip or even many sorcerers casting range.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #29
GodBeastX

If aluminum can be transparent, then control metal can make something transparent.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
If aluminum can be transparent, then control metal can make something transparent.
Aluminum can't be transparent except in super-thin layers. People talking about 'transparent aluminum' are usually actually talking aluminum compounds (aluminum oxide or aluminum oxynitride, both of which are naturally transparent).