Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Is there a GURPS Space random planet generator?

Well, has anyone made one?

Either as an executable, or else available a source in some programming language (preferably any older version of BASIC -I can't get Visual Basic and other such new-fangled versions of that language). Or maybe a spreadsheet...

I don't greatly care whether it is based on Space 4E or Space 3E, or maybe even GURPS Traveller: First In. In fact, given the choice, I'd prefer the more detailed random ressources from Space 3E, and I've never understood why that got simplified in FI and 4E.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Is there a GURPS Space random planet generator?

I think Agemegos constructed one. PM him.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Agemegos

Mine's an Excel workbook. Besides, I am still waiting on official corrigenda to the errors in the tidal and rotation rules.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Shrale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen

I can't get Visual Basic and other such new-fangled versions of that language). Or maybe a spreadsheet...
If you're interested...

You can get Visual Basic + VB Studio (and other Microsoft Products) for free if you don't mind the Express Versions...

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/Default.aspx
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale
If you're interested...

You can get Visual Basic + VB Studio (and other Microsoft Products) for free if you don't mind the Express Versions...

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/Default.aspx
I meant "get" as in understand. I actually purchased Microsoft Visual Basic 9 1/2 years ago, but I was never able to wrap my head around it, the way I could with earlier BASICs, such as MS QBASIC, Amos (EasyAmos and Amos pro - I never tried regular Amos), Amiga BASIC, and Amstrad Locomotive BASIC.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
Mine's an Excel workbook. Besides, I am still waiting on official corrigenda to the errors in the tidal and rotation rules.
I can work with Excel, to some extent. Are you willing to email it to me?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
nanoboy

Message Imion. He's got a nifty little applet that I used for my current campaign. It, plus abuse of my university's library printers produced a binder full of star systems that I'm using.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Shrale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
I meant "get" as in understand. I actually purchased Microsoft Visual Basic 9 1/2 years ago, but I was never able to wrap my head around it, the way I could with earlier BASICs, such as MS QBASIC, Amos (EasyAmos and Amos pro - I never tried regular Amos), Amiga BASIC, and Amstrad Locomotive BASIC.
I found VB + VBA somewhat interesting.

I use Winbatch http://www.winbatch.com which is a VBScript like language and can automate MS Access, Excel, MSIE and can handle most other OLE/COM interfaces.

The language is pretty easy/straightforward and they take some intermediate steps into making their functions do most of the grunt work for you, such as getting info from folders and files.

I always found Windows as clumsy and counter-intuitive (probably how you feel about VB) and Winbatch I picked up one day and have used it ever since.

About the only time I use VB or VBA or VBScript is when I can't do it in Winbatch. I also know a little JScript/Java.

>
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Shrale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy
Message Imion. He's got a nifty little applet that I used for my current campaign. It, plus abuse of my university's library printers produced a binder full of star systems that I'm using.
What do you mean by "applet"? I'm interested in such a thing, but not terribly computer literate.

Last edited by AmesJainchill; 06-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill
What do you mean by "applet"? I'm interested in such a thing, but not terribly computer literate.
An applet is a really small program. Often, they require another program to work (such as a browser.) In this case, as long as you have Java on your computer, something that you almost certainly do, it will work. At any rate, it's a small program that does something really limited. As such, it's idiot proof.

The program itself has a few options boxes that you can use. Then, you tell it to generate, and it does. There is a tab within the program that produces a text read-out that you can copy and paste into a word processor. I've found that copying and pasting into Word or OpenOffice, then changing the text size to 10 and setting the layout to 3 columns makes for a great printout.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote