Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #61
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Make contact skill great again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
As the wording of the advantage explains, the Effective Skill is a combination of the contact's inherent actual skill level, plus bonuses from the equipment and resources available to them in their organisation- thus Effective Skill already contains an implicit, unspecified equipment bonus and helper bonus.
Thats why I am showing concern. Per the rules you can allow an equipment bonus of +4 by TL8 and complementary rolls for up to +6, which turns an effective skill of 21 into a personal skill of 11.

Is 11 the highest skill score possible, and the more resources an organization has the more useless its best employees tend to be?

If you count equipment and helper bonuses as summed up, a personal skill of 17 would require an equivalent Contact of 27 by TL8 making the formula to calculate max effective skill for a contact (maximum skill ALLOWED +6 + TL/2).

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #62
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Thats why I am showing concern. Per the rules you can allow an equipment bonus of +4 by TL8 and complementary rolls for up to +6, which turns an effective skill of 21 into a personal skill of 11.
Except your contact doesn't have complimentary skill rolls (unless the PC provides one.) Even if you have a contact group you're still dealing with one Contact in each place.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 AM   #63
joppeknol

Quote:

Is 11 the highest skill score possible, and the more resources an organization has the more useless its best employees tend to be?

If you count equipment and helper bonuses as summed up, a personal skill of 17 would require an equivalent Contact of 27 by TL8 making the formula to calculate max effective skill for a contact (maximum skill ALLOWED +6 + TL/2).
I'm still at a loss of what kind of effect you're trying to achieve. Is it possible to have this more concrete?

Jane, a PC, has megacorp as her contact. In a certain situation she wants to do ..... Because of her contact and the fix for some broken rule, she can now.......

or is it:

Megacorp Inc, has .... has a contact group. Therefore, in a certain situation, they can now ........

Then, we can discuss whether this should be possible in RAW. If you are in disagreement, you propose your houserule, and ask whether there might be consequences.

Last edited by joppeknol; 01-21-2019 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typo
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 AM   #64
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppeknol View Post
The second one. My proposals are two:

1) Maximum contact skill = Max skill allowed + if(group;up to +6*;0) + if(equipment>0*;up to +TL/2*;0)

2) Contact skill represents the peak personal skill found in the organization. You can add equipment and complementary rolls bonuses on top.

They are basically the same.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-21-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #65
Daigoro

Quote:
1) Maximum contact skill = Max skill allowed + if(group;up to +6*;0) + if(equipment>0*;up to +TL/2*;0)

2) Contact skill represents the peak personal skill found in the organization. You can add equipment and complementary rolls bonuses on top.
Does the PC with Contact Group have to pay extra points to get this megacorp as their CG?

If so, they but the Contact Group at Effective Skill 31 (or whatever it is you're proposing) and pay 8 points as the base.

If not, then there's no such thing as a free lunch, and they get access to whatever Effective Skill they did pay for.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 01-21-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #66
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Does the PC with Contact Group have to pay extra points to get this megacorp as their CG?
Of course (?).
Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #67
Donny Brook

I believe that the Contact advantage is supposed to provide an individual person NPC as a Contact, and the Contact Group advantage is supposed to provide a group of individuals, and not an organization they may be part of, as Contacts.

It does not appear to me from reading GURPS Characters that an organization can be a Contact or Contact Group. My reading of Boardroom and Curia doesn't change that assessment, but if it was intended to change it, I would not permit it in my games anyway. An organization as a Contact is a wrong fit, IMO.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #68
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I believe that the Contact advantage is supposed to provide an individual person NPC as a Contact, and the Contact Group advantage is supposed to provide a group of individuals, and not an organization they may be part of, as Contacts.
That's not actually what Alonsua seems to be talking about. It appears that he's referencing the use of Contact in GURPS Boardroom and Curia to represent the personnel of an organization and the skills they can provide.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #69
whswhs

Quote:
If so, they but the Contact Group at Effective Skill 31 (or whatever it is you're proposing) and pay 8 points as the base.
Except that the standard rules don't provide this; they allow a maximum effective skill of 21.

Of course, a house rule is always possible, though it ought to provide an effective skill of either 30 or 33 to maintain the pattern. But I think that such a high effective skill is inappropriate in a realistic campaign.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #70
Daigoro

Quote:
Of course (?).
As in, are they paying extra for the megacorp to get these equipment and helper bonuses on its skill roll?

Would the character sheet say:
Contact Group: Megacorp, Effective Skill 21, 4 points base?
Contact Group: Megacorp, Effective Skill 31, 8 points base?
Or
Contact Group: Megacorp, Effective Skill 21, + Access to Group Bonus (+6) and TL Bonus (+4), 4 points base + X points extra?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote