Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
Captain Joy

Default Re: Min/Max of Attributes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
...in my games I have limited all attributes to 15.
I just came across this from GURPS Power Ups 3: Talents, p.21: "If the GM caps IQ, DX, HT, Will, and Per though, then Talent should face comparable bounds. The standard human limit for such scores is 20; that is, +10 relative to the average of 10."

I think we can all agree that "standard human limit as presented in cinematic fiction..." is implied? Or maybe the score of 20 is meant to include Attribute plus Talent?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-06-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I just came across this from GURPS Power Ups 3: Talents, p.21: "If the GM caps IQ, DX, HT, Will, and Per though, then Talent should face comparable bounds. The standard human limit for such scores is 20; that is, +10 relative to the average of 10."

I think we can all agree that "standard human limit as presented in cinematic fiction..." is implied? Or maybe the score of 20 is meant to include Attribute plus Talent?
GURPS asserts that an attribute of 20 is realistic (playability-wise). The cult of stat normalization on these forums disagrees and feels that the realistic attribute limit is significantly lower than that. GURPS doesn't assume cinematic as the baseline. Instead, it assumes action-adventure which can range from darkly gritty realism to the extremes of cinematic depending on which options are enabled/disabled.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
human max Will is 20
Will 20 does mean that you have a pretty good chance of Intimidating 100 people all at once, by default, by yourself, having done nothing especially intimidating. Consider if you find that silly or not.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Will 20 does mean that you have a pretty good chance of Intimidating 100 people all at once, by default, by yourself, having done nothing especially intimidating. Consider if you find that silly or not.
No it doesn't. The maximum is 25 per intimidator. That's a -5 on your intimidation skill, and your threat must be somewhat credible or you'll be further penalized. Can one man intimidate a whole room full of people? Sure. Why not?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No it doesn't. The maximum is 25 per intimidator. That's a -5 on your intimidation skill, and your threat must be somewhat credible or you'll be further penalized. Can one man intimidate a whole room full of people? Sure. Why not?
Ah, I misread it. Sorry.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #26
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoS View Post
Hey, I'm going to run a couple of scenarios in a "high fantasy" setting where the PC's will have characters built on around 200-300 points.

I'm wondering if attribute scores of 15+ are going to be very unbalanced when applied to DX, IQ and HT. I've put the cap on a maximum of 16 in ST for ordinary humans. The PC's will be heroic types and the setting will most definately be cinematic; but IMO an DX score of 16 seems way off.

Are there any suggestions on other things the character should have instead of a HT score of 16 ? Like; HtK, HtS or similar.

To put it simply; how much is too much ?
I am a bit confused here; it is a high fantasy, cinematic setting. PC's are usually a bit stereotypical because "average people" don't usually make for compelling action stars. If you think overly high attributes will derail the game, just make it clear players should expect situations that challenge the party in a variety of ways... or at least in a way where maxed out ST/DX/IQ/HT isn't going to save them and where overspecialization would in fact make them more prone to problems.

As for guidelines about non-human race Stat variance, shouldn't that be "what fits the race" and just be a Taboo Trait (...yeah, still using mostly 3e so if that is obsolete, let me know). Some races might be able to vary significantly more or less, and without an obvious, predictable pattern. Maybe that ST 1 race is a small one but without a maximum size limitation... so while gargantuan, a ST 20 being (+19 to Base Strength) is plausible. Another race might be largely human... but it comes from them all being genetically and environmentally closer to their ideal than another race.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #27
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Why would you want to do that?

Based on lifting capability and such, ST for humans goes higher than 16. As a matter of fact, I think ST 18+ is far less remarkable than DX, IQ or HT of 15+.

In a realistic setting, I limit Attributes to 15 or lower, except for ST, which tops out at 20.
I disagree. World records are set by ST14 people.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #28
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I disagree. World records are set by ST14 people.
You are aware that you are trying to start an argument with a person 9 years into the past, right?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You are aware that you are trying to start an argument with a person 9 years into the past, right?
Alonsua is new (<1 year) to the forums, and jumping right in is to be encouraged. But Maz has a point Alonsua, don't be surpirsed if this old thread stays dead.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #30
Donny Brook

I think there is an actual forum rule against thread necromancy. But sometimes you link around as you read and don't notice how old posts are
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes