Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 AM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Care and feeding of the wizard's staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think hitting an unarmed opponent, i.e. one who can't effectively parry, should be 2/DX.

An armed but unskilled opponent would be somewhere in-between an armed skilled opponent and an unarmed opponent.
What would be the impact (pun intended) on attacks against non-human nuisance encounters, animals, etc?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #22
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What would be the impact (pun intended) on attacks against non-human nuisance encounters, animals, etc?
This is one reason why I think 2/DX against an unarmed opponent would be wrong.

The question about whether or not someone can defend if they are unarmed is one reason why I think dodge should be allowed against close-quarter weapons (not just missile or thrown) but I don't think dodge should be allowed if the figure made no movement. In other words, you can dodge any normal attack so long as you moved at least hex during movement.

I think it would be wrong to require skill with a weapon in order to defend. Club has already been cited and there is no club skill. Most improvised weapons are treated as clubs. It doesn't take training to try to block or deflect a blow with an object. It's pretty much instinctual. So too would be trying to dodge a blow.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #23
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Remember that nobody has a Club talent.
Who says? A club can be USED by anyone even without a weapons Talent but if you have the Ax/Mace Talent, then you get to use a club for all the other fancy things like Expert and Master.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Who says? A club can be USED by anyone even without a weapons Talent but if you have the Ax/Mace Talent, then you get to use a club for all the other fancy things like Expert and Master.
I like that ruling!