Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
Peaches

Default Modified Dominance: Creature Control

I want to model the ability to essentially allow a character the ability to control animals and monsters that they have successfully subdued in combat, therefore gaining them as Allies to fight for them. This immediately brings to mind a modified form of Dominance. Dominance however is a peculiar advantage for the fact that it seems to be written almost specifically for vampires, werewolves, and other similar supernatural entities. This makes modifying it into what I envision a bit tricky, but I think it's certainly doable. This is what I've outlined so far:
  • I want any kind of attack to trigger it, so a +50% Cosmic enhancement for that. The description for Dominance states that the GM may require additional conditions for this to work, but this doesn't appear to effect the point cost at all. The target being incapacitated will be the additional condition.
  • The roll 3d vs. amount of injury inflicted and days for it to take effect has got to go - that's another +50% Cosmic I think. Although I will tack on Resistible (Will-3) -15%.
  • There's no supernatural meta-trait to be inflicted, but I don't think this requires any modifier. Slave Mentality is still inflicted of course, and the Special Abilities enhancement is not taken when the target is bought as an Ally since there's no inflicted meta-trait. Again, I don't think that should require a modifier.
  • Animals and monsters only -20%, of course.

So that leaves us with:

Quote:
Dominance (Cosmic (Any attack) +50%, Cosmic (No infection) +50%, Resistible (Will-3) -15%, Animals and monsters only -20%) [33]

When an animal or monster suffers injuries from an attack while incapacitated (unconscious, bound by a Binding attack, hypnotized, etc), they must roll against their Will-2. If they fail to resist then they gain the Slave Mentality trait and are bought as an ally with the Minion enhancement.
Is this kosher? What's the consensus of the GURPS hive mind?

EDIT: I've worked out a better build for this as an advantage, based on Affliction. See in below posts.

Last edited by Peaches; 09-17-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Modified Dominance: Creature Control

If you're gaining an ally, it sounds like Modular Ability (Cosmic Power, tamed beast Allies only -50%). Probably some other modifiers as well to take into account that you have to fight and defeat the beast first. In fact, I would not use attacks or injuries as the "flavor" of this Advantage, but style it as something that you do after and while the beast is incapacitated and helpless. IDHMBWM, so I can't look for the appropriate Limitations right now.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
Peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
In fact, I would not use attacks or injuries as the "flavor" of this Advantage, but style it as something that you do after and while the beast is incapacitated and helpless.
This is something that definitely came to mind, and I took a different spin on this concept:

Affliction 1 (Slave Mentality +40%, Based on Will +20%, Only on incapacitated animals or monsters -40%, Permanent +150%, Malediction +200%, Requires Animal Handling roll -5%) [47], Unusual Background (Purchase afflicted creature as an Ally with Minion enhancement) [1].

I'd kind of like to see what this would look like as a Modular Ability though.

Last edited by Peaches; 09-17-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
Peaches

I've been mulling things over on modeling this, specifically the bit on the required skill roll against Animal Handling for the Affliction version I've outlined in my last post. On top of the required Will roll, -5% to roll against an Average skill seems OK. I think though that it'd make more sense if it replaced the actual Will roll as per Skills for Everybody on pg. 162 of Powers. Due to the nature of the ability though, and since the skill must be Very Hard, a Wildcard skill "Animal Handling!" seems to be in order. I would think that it'd still effectively be a -0% to change the Will roll to a roll against Animal Handling!, despite the fact that the skill is based on IQ, not Will.

Last edited by Peaches; 09-17-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Peaches

Recapping on what I've worked out so far:

Affliction 1 (Slave Mentality +40%, Based on Will +20%, Only on incapacitated animals or monsters -40%, Permanent +150%, Malediction +200%, Will roll to activate and Will roll in Quick Contest is replaced by Animal Handling! -0%) [47], Unusual Background (Purchase afflicted creature as an Ally with Minion enhancement) [1].
  • The character with this ability rolls against Animal Handling! to activate and use it on a incapacitated animal or monster.
  • If they're still capable of resisting, a Quick Contest of the user's Animal Handling! and the victim's Will ensues.
  • If the user succeeds, the victim is inflicted permanently with Slave Mentality and purchased as an Ally with the Minion enhancement.

I think this is pretty good.

Tags
ally, animals, custom, dominance, monsters