Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Melkhior

Default Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Hello,

I started working on some 3D printable track pieces base on the OpenLOCK tiling system. The idea is to be able multiple 3D track from a bunch of pieces with some 3D features, w/o the need to go full 3X or to be an experienced modeller.

Track is for the 'classic' scale of 1"=15', 2" wide to make things faster to print (and narrower track means more crashes and easier-to-shoot, closer targets of course). Should be possible to make wider (or even narrower !) track, but then it would take a _long_ time to print a full race/combat track.

As it's OpenLOCK, it's possible to use other OpenLOCK tiles for scenery (even tough OpenLOCK is meant for 1"=5', we can pretend those walls are just really big to protect the public ;-) ).

Anyone interested in trying the pieces on their printers?
Melkhior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkhior View Post
Anyone interested in trying the pieces on their printers?
I'd like to but the track I want to make is at least 4" wide, and is banked the whole way around. (Yes, it's the track named for me. :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Melkhior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I'd like to but the track I want to make is at least 4" wide, and is banked the whole way around. (Yes, it's the track named for me. :) )
4" wide means a lot of surface to cover, in particular if you want to replicate a real track that has significant length. That's a lot of parts to print... Right now, I'm targeting smaller and easier to handle for friendly games. Principle the same though :-)

Edit: some OpenSCAD previews:
A 3" straight bit of road at the lowest level
Turning left to a higher level
The road up there is full of potholes

Last edited by Melkhior; 01-25-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: links
Old 01-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Melkhior

Quote:
Something like this 90° turn ? :-)

(BTW, I don't live in the U.S., which track would that be ?)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
43Supporter

Quote:
Something like this 90° turn ? :-)
I think the banking's a bit greater, but, close enough.... :)

(In fact: Given the way the corners on the map sheet are drawn, it isn't actually possible for the corners to be banked the way the track desc. says it is.)

Quote:
(BTW, I don't live in the U.S., which track would that be ?)
Oh -- it's one of the tracks in _Car Wars Arenas_; which one should be obvious. :)

79er

Old 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I will follow this thread with interest :) I like anything that involves playing with models.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Melkhior

Quote:
I think the banking's a bit greater, but, close enough.... :)
I'm cheating a bit to get the banking, and the process I use limits how high I can go. The track, grid, borders and the sort-of-grassy texture is a 2D image used as a height-map. So to get the banking, I simply lighten part of the image to "raise" the track. It works well, but the greyscale range of a PNG is only 0-255, so you can get accuracy OR range, but not both... but a 1/4" or 1/2" (as shown) raise works fine for a 2" wide track, I think. For a 4" wide track, getting enough height starts limiting the accuracy of the height-map.

A *very* unfortunate side-effect of that process is that OpenSCAD ends up eating memory like crazy. Creating the STL for that part requires 20+ gigabytes of memory...

Quote:
Oh -- it's one of the tracks in _Car Wars Arenas_; which one should be obvious. :)
Silly me, and here I thought of a real-life track for some reason.

I haven't got Arenas. Back in the day, we used to draw & print tracks for our games rather than play on pre-defined. So we could make the tracks suit out style of play. Also, the Octagon was and still is awesome :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I will follow this thread with interest :) I like anything that involves playing with models.
3D printing is great for people like me - with no real-life modelling skills :-( Can't paint very well, either. I'll try and publish the pieces (& the code to semi-automate the creation) when the whole process is a bit less hackish than it is now.

Last edited by Melkhior; 01-26-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: comment on the banking height
Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
RogerBW

Quote:
I'm cheating a bit to get the banking, and the process I use limits how high I can go. The track, grid, borders and the sort-of-grassy texture is a 2D image used as a height-map. So to get the banking, I simply lighten part of the image to "raise" the track. It works well, but the greyscale range of a PNG is only 0-255, so you can get accuracy OR range, but not both... but a 1/4" or 1/2" (as shown) raise works fine for a 2" wide track, I think. For a 4" wide track, getting enough height starts limiting the accuracy of the height-map.

A *very* unfortunate side-effect of that process is that OpenSCAD ends up eating memory like crazy. Creating the STL for that part requires 20+ gigabytes of memory...
A couple of points here:

(1) PNG can actually support 16-bit greyscale values. However, many tools won't write this.

(2) Yes, in effect each pixel becomes a separate object within OpenSCAD, so achieving a decent resolution gets very expensive very quickly.

Still, for this sort of task in OpenSCAD heightmaps are probably still your best bet. While I use OpenSCAD for almost all my modelling for print, in a case like this I'd be distinctly tempted to go to Blender (perhaps working off a base built in OpenSCAD) and its random perturbation modifiers.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
One of the reasons why I haven't been able to use it myself....

Quote:
Silly me, and here I thought of a real-life track for some reason.
One day, darn it... one day.... >:)

79er

Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Melkhior

Quote:
I'll try and publish the pieces (& the code to semi-automate the creation) when the whole process is a bit less hackish than it is now.
It's still extremely hackish, but here they are:

https://github.com/rdolbeau/OpenLOCKTrack

The STL files are in subdirectory export, but are compressed. They are too big for GitHub, and the STL viewer fails (for me at least) to display them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
(2) Yes, in effect each pixel becomes a separate object within OpenSCAD, so achieving a decent resolution gets very expensive very quickly.
Yes, and I only thought now that I could crop the PNG programatically (same principle as the filter) instead of cropping in OpenSCAD. Would save a lot of memory, I suspect... Still a some work to do.

Also, need to find the time to try and paint some of the parts I've already 3D printed.