Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: [Spaceships] Questions for Open Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
But what if there are gardens or zoos? I think that, for gardens or zoos, it needs the room for vegetations or animals itself. Should they have a lower occupancy than concerts and theaters, etc... have?
Perhaps, but at the resolution of Spaceships I doubt it matters unless the zoo has a lot of animals in it, in which case they might need to have habitats to account for them.

I doubt that the intention is that a farm should be both producing lots of food and have space for 100 people to hang out.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #12
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I doubt that the intention is that a farm should be both producing lots of food and have space for 100 people to hang out.
Well, it seems plausible because there is no mention that Open Space Farms have no occupancy for passengers.
The ultimate problem is that there is no rule for Open Space Farms.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #13
Tyneras

What bothers me about Open Space is it doesn't use the same scaling (1 ,2 ,5 10...) as cabin capacity (1, 3, 10...) which likely means there's some unspoken assumption about open space, like massive empty vertical space instead of (for instance) stacked parks or greenhouses.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #14
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
What bothers me about Open Space is it doesn't use the same scaling (1 ,2 ,5 10...) as cabin capacity (1, 3, 10...) which likely means there's some unspoken assumption about open space, like massive empty vertical space instead of (for instance) stacked parks or greenhouses.
i wondered the exact thing that you wonder.
For SM+8 ships 1 Open Space Area is equivalent to 6 Habitat Cabins, but for SM+13 ships 1 Open Space Area is equivalent to 40 Habitat Cabins. It seems that Open Space Area is rated only by floor area, as you said. Why the Open Space Areas are not stacked vertically like other systems do?

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-22-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #15
the-red-scare

It’s scaled with surface area. I assume this is a kludge to account for the fact that Spaceships ignores volume but assumes a general size of spacecraft — more than one or two open spaces would realistically start increasing the spacecraft’s size and therefore area, reducing dDR and increasing true SM. Better to just let them scale more slowly and fudge the extra mass into the granularity of the system.
the-red-scare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #16
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-red-scare View Post
It’s scaled with surface area. I assume this is a kludge to account for the fact that Spaceships ignores volume but assumes a general size of spacecraft — more than one or two open spaces would realistically start increasing the spacecraft’s size and therefore area, reducing dDR and increasing true SM. Better to just let them scale more slowly and fudge the extra mass into the granularity of the system.
Which doesn't really make sense and is an unnecessary kludge. Unless you are intentionally making an Open Space less efficient (huge empty verticals), you will get the same amount of area per ton. You actually get MORE open space if you sub divide the system as small systems.

1 SM +15 Open Space: 200 areas for $20M
OR
2,187 SM+8 Open Spaces in the same SM +15 system slot for 2,187 areas for $218.7M

Maybe the solution is to add a more expensive and Workspace heavy "Efficient Open Space" system as an option.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #17
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Which doesn't really make sense and is an unnecessary kludge. Unless you are intentionally making an Open Space less efficient (huge empty verticals), you will get the same amount of area per ton. You actually get MORE open space if you sub divide the system as small systems.

1 SM +15 Open Space: 200 areas for $20M
OR
2,187 SM+8 Open Spaces in the same SM +15 system slot for 2,187 areas for $218.7M

Maybe the solution is to add a more expensive and Workspace heavy "Efficient Open Space" system as an option.
How did you get 2187 Open Space Areas? Applying the same formula which is applied to Habitat Cabins (a.k.a. 1, 3, 10, 30...) to Open Space I got 3000 Open Space Areas. And calculating by SM+8 ships' ratio (Both 1 Open Space Area and 6 Habitat Cabins are equivalent to 1 System) I got 3333.33... Open Space Areas.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
How did you get 2187 Open Space Areas? Applying the same formula which is applied to Habitat Cabins (a.k.a. 1, 3, 10, 30...) to Open Space I got 3000 Open Space Areas. And calculating by SM+8 ships' ratio (Both 1 Open Space Area and 6 Habitat Cabins are equivalent to 1 System) I got 3333.33... Open Space Areas.
Spaceships 7, page 4, Smaller Systems. It goes by 3 per -1 SM, which is less efficient than the 1, 3, 10 progression. It was more for demonstration that one could get dramatically better results with existing rules than the RAW Open Space progression.

With the hypothetical Efficient Open Space system, I'd start with the SM +8 Open Space system then just follow the 1, 3, 10 progression for Areas, techs and cost.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #19
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Spaceships 7, page 4, Smaller Systems. It goes by 3 per -1 SM, which is less efficient than the 1, 3, 10 progression. It was more for demonstration that one could get dramatically better results with existing rules than the RAW Open Space progression.

With the hypothetical Efficient Open Space system, I'd start with the SM +8 Open Space system then just follow the 1, 3, 10 progression for Areas, techs and cost.
Ah, understood.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #20
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It's a crowded beach, or a 1/2 to 2/3rds full theatre. So it's both cramped and relatively spacious, depending on what it's being used for.
And part of the trick, I think, is that like a shopping mall or a medical bay they don't all necessarily need to use it at once - but they want to know it's available.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote