Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Simplified Jumping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
Ant I want to know how deep a pit someone with Super Jump 5 can jump out of, .
You haven't addressed one of my initial points and that is if you're rounding down High Jump for persons of less than Move 6 is 0. If they have Super Jump 5 then 32 x 0 is still 0.

Unless you use a unit other than yards or at least do your calcs in fractional yards without rounding Super Jump is going to either cause you all kinds of headaches or cheat the person who bought it.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
, their base jump is 50" vertical and 17' horizontal (up to 100" vertical and 34' horizontal with a running start), so that is a bit more than a normal person. Heck, it is not even that expensive, it is just DX 14, HT 14, and Basic Move 10 (135 CP), which is not bad for an Olympic level athlete.
It's not just a bit more than a normal person it's breaking the World/Olympic records by almost 5 feet.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #13
Celjabba

DFRPG have simplified rule :

Maximum distance in yards is the longer of Basic Move/2 or Jumping/4. Double that with room for a running start; halve it in combat.

Nothing for high jump except a DX roll, but someone suggested (I added a note to the pdf) : High Jump in feet = Move/3 or Jumping/6 (round up)

Using the basic rules, I don't try to do the math and I make a table for each character with the answers in cm for usual encumbrance values, and have a calculator macro/smartphone app/excel sheet on hand for the rare other cases.
I can do the math but for me making sense of inches/foot/yards requires mental gymnastic on top of the calculation, so a lookup table is much faster.

Last edited by Celjabba; 09-21-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's not just a bit more than a normal person it's breaking the World/Olympic records by almost 5 feet.
As I said, it does not cost much to be an Olympic athlete in jumping. You can also do it for 32 CP with DX 10 and Jumping-20, you are just not doing much else with that build.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #15
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You haven't addressed one of my initial points and that is if you're rounding down High Jump for persons of less than Move 6 is 0. If they have Super Jump 5 then 32 x 0 is still 0.

Unless you use a unit other than yards or at least do your calcs in fractional yards without rounding Super Jump is going to either cause you all kinds of headaches or cheat the person who bought it.
Oh, it was back in my second post. I didn't realize that was what you were concerned about.

Quote:
Super Jump and other modifiers alter your effective Move before division and rounding for these calculations.
Super Jump 1 means Move instead of Move/2, Super Jump 2 means Move*2 instead of Move/2, etc.
That does make it clear that I probably should stick to feet rather than yards for high jump, though, yeah, because Move/2 feet, Move feet, Move*2 feet, etc. is a much nicer progression than Move/6 yards, 2*Move/6 yards, 4*Move/6 yards, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
DFRPG have simplified rule :

Maximum distance in yards is the higher of Basic Move/2 or Jumping/4. Double that with room for a running start; halve it in combat.
Awesome, that works out to the same as I was suggesting for broad jumps, so clearly it's not a terrible idea.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 09-21-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:20 AM   #16
Rupert

Quote:
I'm surprised that nobody else finds the jump calculations awkward to use as written.
My proposal probably isn't great, it's just the first thing I thought of.
I do, a bit, but it seldom comes up in my games.

I'd change your rule for vertical jumps to Move/2, in feet. That's the same amount as your suggestion, but rounded somewhat more finely. As heights are more commonly measured in feet than yards this is also more convenient (and avoids the average person having no high jump at all).

I will say that if it started coming up a lot, I'd pre-calculate all the PC's distances (I'd ask my players to do it for their characters, but then it'd never get done). Also, if someone took lots of Jumping skill or Super Jump I'd assume they were intending to use the rules a lot and would ask for pre-calculations.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 09-21-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:19 AM   #17
Balor Patch

In DFRPG Exploits p.20 it's the greater of Basic Move/2 or Jumping/4 across, and just wing it for vertical distance.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
Plane

I want to know ways we could tie the functionality of kicking ST to move/jump better
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
Dalin

Quote:
I'm surprised that nobody else finds the jump calculations awkward to use as written.
I find this sort of thing annoying in play, too. My group uses GCS which doesn't automatically calculate jump. This means people need to manually put the values in a Notes field. It's not hard to do, but most people forget to do it. Or by the time they need the figures, they've changed their base move or something so they have to recalculate it anyway.

In cinematic or DF games, I'm much less interested in verisimilitude on this front than dead-simple rules of thumb.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
kirbwarrior

For dealing with encumbrance penalties, I just apply the fraction to jump distances instead of move for determining jump more easily in the middle of combat or other high speed situation. It's not perfect, but it's as easy as applying it to move and I don't see the results being that bad.

(It's also been awhile, the character sheet on r20 now takes into account of changes fairly easily and can figure out new jump with literally a single button press.)

I like the DF approach, it seems perfect for a game more focused on combat like it is.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote