Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: New perks

Trivial Law Breaker - You can break one given law that would otherwise be overlooked normally. For instance, most of the time jaywalking doesn't matter but you never have to worry about it. (Largely inspired by Innocuous above)

Non-Threatening - Some trait about you that would normally scare someone or turn them away that doesn't have a reaction penalty (from strikers to ESD to high ST to a face tattoo) just doesn't seem to bother people. If the bothering would be rare enough, it might even reverse instead! If the trait does cause a reaction penalty (such as No Reflection), this perk lets you buy off the reaction penalty with GM discretion.

Not Yet Signature Gear - Instead of paying for your signature gear and getting it right now, instead work with the GM what the gear is like and you have effectively a Destiny of eventually getting it, with the longer it takes and the harder it is to get making up for actually having to buy it based on how good it is. (Note this works better with DF's rule of Sig Gear always costing 1pt)

Enemy Impulse - Requires Enemy. You're allowed to spend impulse points you don't have. However, your enemy gains floating impulse points equal to what you spent and can use them however they want! It's recommended that neither you nor your enemy be allowed to force criticals against each other, though.

EDIT: New York Reload - Whenever you pick up an enemy's gun, if it wasn't shown to be empty, the clip happens to be full. The effect in play for this perk is that you don't have to carry ammo, instead you can safely assume your enemies will carry it for you.

Last edited by kirbwarrior; 09-23-2020 at 01:13 AM.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #32
JulianLW

I just posted this on another thread, but I like it and think it's a perk a lot of players would like for their characters. What do y'all think? I've based this on the "Follow-Through" perk, and replaced the necessity for a take-down with a pretty demanding set of possible prerequisites. Both the "Influence Shtick" and "Combat Shtick" entries in PU2 seem to leave the door open for perks like this. Do y'all think it's balanced?

Scary: Prerequisite: SM+1, ST 16+, Intimidation 16+, or Appearance: Hideous or worse. The character may make a free Intimidation attempt - as with Fearsome Stare - at any time or replace any regular Reaction Roll the GM makes with an Intimidation attempt. In either case, Intimidation attempts may be subject to a Quick Contest of skill (see Social Engineering 68) if the target(s) is in a position to counter the Influence or Reaction roll with an Intimidation attempt of his own. (Note: In addition to standard modifiers for Size, Appearance, or "displays of bloodthirstiness, or supernatural power," the character may add +1 to his Intimidation attempt for each full 3 points by which his ST score exceeds his target's ST score.)
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #33
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Extreme Sexual Dimorphism. It's a mouthful so I just acronym it. It's basically a perk +1 bonus to a skill with downsides.
Thank you. I was also puzzled and about to ask.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #34
Plane

Quote:
I love when I noticed that ESD is just a skill bonus tied with Distinctive Features, so I made a few perks using the same formula for other skills;

Unsettling - Intimidation. You have something about you that gets under people's skin or bothers them just so. It's not enough to make for bad impressions but can be used to intimidate others. In a cinematic campaign this was taken as "Bald" once XD

Monkey Arms - Climbing. Not quite Brachiator, but you are still better at climbing, swinging, etc. However, your arms and legs look a little odd and you tend to walk in an obvious manner.

Twitchy Hands - Fast Draw. Your fingers move with little thought on your part and seem to know where you hide things on yourself. The behavior does slightly stick out, and might even qualify for something like Dishonest Face.
Mario Quads - Jumping. You have massive legs people can't ignore
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #35
kirbwarrior

Implausible Background - You have one (or more) traits that are entirely normally allowed, but the reasoning behind them is bizarre, absurd, or frankly unrealistic (to the setting!). For instance you might look like a stereotypical demon and take Very Handsome because 'people just can't get over that red skin and horns look' even if it's the Victorian Era or a horror campaign.

I'm not sure if I'd actually require the perk but I saw it on some other site and thought it might be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Mario Quads - Jumping. You have massive legs people can't ignore
Love it.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #36
Anders

Danger Music - the character can add Acute Hearing to his Danger Sense roll.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:36 AM   #37
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That's very cute and I feel like it can be expanded with other Per traits.

Oh, one that came up in a super mission:

Tetris Master - Choose a video game that has a skill limit due to human reaction speed. You effectively have the better of ETS or ATR only for purposes of that one game. You get a +1 to uncontested skill rolls and have no limit on how high you can buy the skill. (Replace 'Tetris' with game of choice, that is what was chosen before)

Ages like Fine Wine - You still age and die as normal, but you get no downsides of aging, either mechanically or aesthetically. Keep track of aging rolls as normal but only apply them for purposes of aging, not in game.

Always Got a Friend - When you lose an Ally through no fault of your own, you may immediately move those points over to a new one. If the new Ally isn't at the scene, the GM will have them show up as an almost Deus Ex Machina to help out. (This might seem pretty powerful but it also shouldn't often happen and you can't actively make it happen)

Trivial Contact - You have a always available, almost completely reliable Contact built as normal... with skill 9. A regular failure is not guaranteed to eventually get you information.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #38
Daigoro

Quote:
Always Got a Friend - When you lose an Ally through no fault of your own, you may immediately move those points over to a new one. If the new Ally isn't at the scene, the GM will have them show up as an almost Deus Ex Machina to help out. (This might seem pretty powerful but it also shouldn't often happen and you can't actively make it happen)
Isn't this pretty much what the Summonable enhancement does? And even if it's less powerful than Summonable, I'd say it's more appropriate as an enhancement than as a perk.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #39
Anders

Quote:
That's very cute and I feel like it can be expanded with other Per traits.
Look at the first post.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #40
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I think this might even be possible as a 0% feature, B47 already has it based on Per so if this works anything like how Requires (Attribute) Roll morphs into Requires (Skill) Roll ("special effect that does not change the value") it should be possible to fix it as rolling against a skill based on that attribute like Observation.

B211 mentions using Acute Senses "as appropriate" while B358 mentions Vision and Hearing BOTH using the skill...

I'm actually not sure which interpretation(s) of R(S)R for Danger Sense is actually correct/possible here...

1) roll Observation with NO modifiers for senses
2) roll Observation with BOTH modifiers for senses
3) roll Observation with modifiers for Vision always
4) roll Observation with modifiers for Hearing always
All four would have advantages and drawbacks:
1) avoids H/V disadvantage penalties, can't benefit from H/V advantage bonuses
2) benefits from H/V advantage bonuses, suffers from H/V disadvantage penalties
3) benefits from V bonuses (and avoiding H penalties) suffers from V penalties (avoiding H bonuses)
4) benefits from H bonuses (and avoiding V penalties) suffers from H penalties (while avoiding V bonuses)
Which a char would prefer (if more than one option was possible) might depend on what other traits he had, but the suitability of that could change as they lose disadvantages or gain disadvantages, permanently or temporarily.

I'm assuming situation-based modifiers would not apply since you would normally just make unmodified skill checks when subbing for attributes? Like if you had to apply Speed/Range modifiers to Per checks but not Will checks then there wouldn't be much incentive to take P-5% over W-5%

If Danger Sense was "resistable" then I imagine if an enemy was attacking you they could make a resistance roll, but I don't know how that would apply to non-sentient dangers (just automatically fail the IQ roll to resist if a rock is falling on you?)

Last edited by Plane; 10-23-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perks