Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #141
Icelander

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
The appointments are for life, and it is an increasing trend to appoint relatively young Justices, so they’ll serve longer.
I'm pretty sure that the 'remove' euphemism referred to arranging for the 'for life' part to become suddenly very relevant.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #142
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
What obstacles are we talking about?
Sorry, I'm not going to go into massive detail on this. It would be a huge sidetrack, and it would use up more time than I have.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #143
whswhs

Quote:
So Genesis also needs to take over the Supreme Court... It does not seem very difficult after all the above, especially since the appointments are made by the government. They just need to remove the current members.
Are you proposing to have them taken out and shot? Or impeached? I suspect that impeaching the entire Supreme Court would be so shocking that it would utterly destroy the new party's political support, unless they are relying on tools of emotional manipulation so powerful that any talk of free weill or meaningful opposition is pointless.

And you have to realize that the Constitution was written by people who were massively suspicious of the abuse of governmental power, and whose top priority was to create as many obstacles to it as possible. Every sweeping measure such as you envision is up against laws designed to slow it down.

Last edited by whswhs; 01-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #144
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Single Supreme Court justices are not chosen to judge cases. Every case is heard by all the sitting justices together, and then voted on.
I followed the example of the microsoft case, changing the ending.

Quote:
He's only one of nine justices. How did he get the rest to go along?
  • Judge Breyer issues his ruling declaring Genesis innocent and dropping the charges with the unanimous approval of the Court of Appeals, which rejected objections that the ruling was inadequate.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #145
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
The appointments are for life, and it is an increasing trend to appoint relatively young Justices, so they’ll serve longer.
It will be a bad year for the judges.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #146
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Are you proposing to have them taken out and shot? Or impeached? I suspect that impeaching the entire Supreme Court would be so shocking that it would utterly destroy the new party's political support, unless they are relying on tools of emotional manipulation so powerful that any talk of free weill or meaningful opposition is pointless.
I dont know, but it could work no matter what:

Quote:
Oh dear judge, I want to wish you good luck and a great day in your hunting party.
Quote:
Take note, Barney, everything points to the judge having died from an overdose in the bathtub.
Quote:
It was clear that meeting unknown women in hotel rooms was not a good idea, but surely the judge did not expect to end the night stabbed.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #147
Icelander

Quote:
I dont know, but it could work no matter what:
'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.'
-Ian Fleming
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #148
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Obviously there has to be a way for a party to emerge with the possibility of winning the elections. Otherwise, we would be talking about a dictatorial system and not a presidential republic. In any case, it is not unconstitutional.
There is no way, short of one of the two existing parties destroying itself, for new parties to gain access to the two party system. It is not a dictatorship, but the Constitutional framework, on both the state and the national level, heavily favor a two party system, as do 150 years of legal precedent. There is a reason why there have not been any serious third parties in over 150 years, the last being the Republican Party.

Anyway, if someone starts offing Supreme Court justices, the Republican and Democratic Parties would call in their allies in the federal bureaucracy and the military to clean house. A brief coup later, the Genesis Party is a bad memory, and the Democratic and Republican Parties take control over the government again. At that point, the corporations involved with the Genesis Party have their assets frozen, their officers arrested, and anyone involved with the illegal subversion of American democracy is facing treason charges and the death penalty.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #149
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Anyway, if someone starts offing Supreme Court justices, the Republican and Democratic Parties would call in their allies in the federal bureaucracy and the military to clean house. A brief coup later, the Genesis Party is a bad memory, and the Democratic and Republican Parties take control over the government again. At that point, the corporations involved with the Genesis Party have their assets frozen, their officers arrested, and anyone involved with the illegal subversion of American democracy is facing treason charges and the death penalty.
Okey then it becomes a three-step quest: 1. Kidnap. 2. Connect. 3. Brainhack.

The three steps will not take much time and, when the job is done, the judges will be able to reheat their seats as if nothing had happened. You can also skip the first step and use nanobots. In addition, Genesis have two free appointments, one in 2017 and another in 2018.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #150
whswhs

Quote:
Judge Breyer issues his ruling declaring Genesis innocent and dropping the charges with the unanimous approval of the Court of Appeals, which rejected objections that the ruling was inadequate.
It still doesn't work that way. Justice Breyer is not part of the Court of Appeals; he's ABOVE it, as a Supreme Court justice. He doesn't need its aprroval. On the other hand, he does need the approval of at least four other Supreme Court justices.

It is also not in the power of the Supreme Court to declare anyone innocent of anything. They can declare that a lower court applied the law wrongly, state what law the lower court ought to have applied, and send a verdict back to be reconsidered. Or at least that's how I understand the setup; I'm not a constitutional lawyer.

Closed Thread