Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Whitewolf199

Default New Pole Weapon Rules

Apologies if this has been covered already... Looking over the new Pole Weapon rules in Melee, the book states that "Pole weapons can strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex." I am pretty clear on the jabbing rules, but does this mean that a pole weapon cannot be used against an adjacent enemy? necessitating a drop of the pole weapon and switch to a non-pole weapon once an enemy comes into an adjacent hex if you wish to attack them? I always considered Pole weapons a little over powered, and now the new jabbing rules seems to make them even better! Any input the community has is welcome. Thank you!
Whitewolf199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: New Pole Weapon Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf199 View Post
I am pretty clear on the jabbing rules, but does this mean that a pole weapon cannot be used against an adjacent enemy? necessitating a drop of the pole weapon and switch to a non-pole weapon once an enemy comes into an adjacent hex if you wish to attack them?
No, they can be used against enemies in adjacent hexes. Pole weapons have been nerfed a bit in the new rules by only adding 1d damage on charges instead of doubling.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Whitewolf199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
No, they can be used against enemies in adjacent hexes. Pole weapons have been nerfed a bit in the new rules by only adding 1d damage on charges instead of doubling.

Yes, you are correct about the 1d damage vs. doubling, I had forgotten that part. Thanks for your input!
Whitewolf199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
Chris Rice

The rules don't say: "Pole Weapons can only strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex."
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf199 View Post
Looking over the new Pole Weapon rules in Melee, the book states that "Pole weapons can strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex."
  • If you have a spear and you are next to an enemy, you can strike him in the adjacent hex.
  • If you have a spear and your friend is in front of you and next to an enemy that he is fighting, you can stab at the enemy 1 hex away (meaning "not in the adjacent hex.")

The pole weapon has the ability to do both. See "Jab" ITL page 112

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
xane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
And you need to move three hexes in a straight line to get the bonus if attacking, otherwise it is just the "first to strike" advantage.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
tomc

Am I the only one having a hard time "unlearning" pole weapons doing double damage on charge attacks? I just automatically double the damage without thinking.

Also, when rolling for actual double damage (say, rolling a 4 to hit), do you roll the normal number of dice and double it, or do you roll twice as many dice?

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
xane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Also, when rolling for actual double damage (say, rolling a 4 to hit), do you roll the normal number of dice and double it, or do you roll twice as many dice?
Interesting question, the only indication I can find is in the Example of Combat on Page 129 which seems to suggest you double the result rather than double the number of dice.

Quote:
He needs an 11 or better. He gets a 4 – double damage. He rolls a 4, which would normally mean 5 hits damage. It is doubled to 10.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
Interesting question, the only indication I can find is in the Example of Combat on Page 129 which seems to suggest you double the result rather than double the number of dice.
Either of which method can result in disappointing "critical" hits which result in zero damage.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Either of which method can result in disappointing "critical" hits which result in zero damage.
True, but if you're on the receiving end, it's not so disappointing. ;)

I like doubling the damage instead of doubling the dice, since you get a steeper (more dramatic) bell curve, and drama is where it's at.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote