Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #321
Skarg

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Balanced Heal spell

Heal(S) The wizard pays 5 fatigue then spends one minute (12 turns) in casting while in physical contact (hands or staff) with the still living target. During the casting the target suffers no further damage from blood loss. At the end of the minute the wizard rolls and on a success the target recovers one hit of damage. The wizard may immediately perform another casting so that the target suffers no blood loss. This spell doesn't regrow missing parts. See the regeneration spell for that.
Better than the original suggestion.

However (apart from just not wanting a healing spell) the main issue I had with the original suggestion from Steve still exists with this one: there's no cap on the healing. Any amount of injury can be healed with enough ST being put into the spell. This encourages the use of apprentices (even troupes of slave hobgoblin apprentices, or whoever you can get to know the Aid spell, and/or be a Drain Strength subject) to get as much quick healing as possible. Nobles and the wealthy, and some guild houses, military units, and PC parties, may likely want to try to always have a healing mage and a team of people with Aid, and/or have many people learn Aid even just to be able to help cast this spell. And tracking the fatigue recovery and casting of Aid spells to see how quickly a group of injured people (such as the PCs, all the time) would be a tedious pain and yet so important a thing to do that it would always make sense to track the rate at which any healing mage with an injured patient can rest up and keep casting this spell until there's no one injured to heal.

I.e. it's an issue to make really powerful strategies that are most effective when you do a lot of something that is unpleasant.

As I posted above, I think if you must have such a spell, aren't just looking to handwave most wounds away because you don't like lasting wounds, AND don't want to be having a thing where injuries are healed at the rate of fatigue recovery by the people in the group with Aid spells, then there ought to be a limit like with Physickers, especially the part where after a wound has been treated, it's now "treated damage" which cannot be healed further by physickers or magic spells.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #322
hcobb

Instead of waiting ten minutes for multiple castings of the Heal spell, just chug ten healing potions or buy a lesser wish for $74.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #323
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Instead of waiting ten minutes for multiple castings of the Heal spell, just chug ten healing potions or buy a lesser wish for $74.
Ten doses of healing potion cost at least $1500 and require you to carry them around and not get them broken, and can be used once.

Compare to a healing spell which costs nothing but fatigue and time and has no limit to the amount it can heal.

$74 lesser wishes are indeed crazy.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #324
hcobb

Revised

IQ 11 Heal(S) Prerequisites: Physicker or Vet or equivalent talents (depending on the subject) The wizard pays 5 fatigue then spends one minute (12 turns) in casting while in physical contact (hands or staff) with the still living target. During and after a successful casting the target suffers no further damage from blood loss. At the end of the minute the wizard rolls and on a success the target recovers one hit of damage. Each subject can only benefit from the best result of a Heal or Greater Heal spell cast in the past 24 hours. This spell doesn't regrow missing parts. See the regeneration spell for that.

IQ 14 Greater Heal(S) Prerequisites: Master Physicker/Vet or equivalent talents. exactly like Heal except that the fatigue cost is 10 and the subject regains 1d instead of 1 hit. As with Heal only the single most effective spell result in the past 24 hours applies, no matter how many times the target is injured.

If you really really want to you can cast Greater Heal over and over until you roll a 3 for triple effect. Good luck with that.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #325
Skarg

Me just thinking out loud:

For all healing spells that attempt to remove damage immediately:

If a wizard is not a physicker, a roll of 15 or greater on a healing spell does 1 die of damage to the patient.

If a wizard is not a master physicker, a roll of 16 or greater on a healing spell does 1 die of damage to the patient.

A roll of 17 does 2 dice of damage to the patient.

A roll of 18 does 3 dice of damage to the patient.

The above are all cumulative, so a non-physicker would harm patients at a rate of:
15: 1d
16: 2d
17: 4d
18: 5d

A physicker-wizard:
16: 1d
17: 3d
18: 4d

A master physicker-wizard:
17: 2d
18: 3d
Old 10-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #326
larsdangly

Folks need to play the games they want to play, but personally I wouldn't consider opening up magical healing in this way. I understand the argument that effectively free magical healing is already there because you can 'buy' a lesser wish for almost nothing. That doesn't carry any weight for me because I view the whole magic-for-hire angle to be a loophole that doesn't come up in my campaign. I would never consider giving characters access to something like that for pocket change (or any money, really). Setting that aside, I've played TFT in 'lethal' mode for so many years I don't think I would recognize it as the same game if PC's could re boot between encounters.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #327
Allensh

Sorry for the thread necro but...

I am kind of bummed that this was not included in the game, from what I have been told. It's easier to ignore something than add it back in for those who don't know about this.

My players do not like the fact that there is no healing spell available at all.

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #328
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
I am kind of bummed that this was not included in the game, from what I have been told. It's easier to ignore something than add it back in for those who don't know about this.

My players do not like the fact that there is no healing spell available at all.
Agreed, but it should be easy to houserule in SJ's original proposed version. Or if you're open to a more out-of-the-box solution, check out my non-spell XP-based option over on this other thread. Feedback is appreciated.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=57
Old 12-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #329
JLV

A lot of people trashed this idea in the original thread content -- to the point where SJ decided to skip it. But I still think it should at least be an option; and I liked his original (and revised) version better than any of the alternatives I saw, but that's just me.

To my mind it's better to include things in the game than to not -- the GM can always rule that there isn't any healing spell in his/her world if that's the preference of the group, but if there isn't any healing spell included in the game, a lot of players won't even consider the possibility of inventing their own (especially new players), so they'll miss out on something they might potentially enjoy. More is definitely better, IMHO.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #330
CJM

I would have liked the heal spell in the rules but since they are not I was thinking physicker could be used a little differently. I might let my players use it for each wound taken by a PC. For example; a player takes 12 hits (total) in a combat but was hit three times. First hit was for 5, second was for 1, third was for 6. ST is 11 so they are at a -1 and are out and need some medical attention fast. There are three wounds so a PC with physicker could heal the first wound 2 points, the second wound 1 point and the third wound 2 more for a total of 5 points bringing the PC up to 4 points. My objective is to get the PC back up and on his feet faster. Each wound taken is different and could have it's own medical attention. I don't know if I will do this or not, just doing a little brain storming. Combat is still deadly but recovery is faster so you don't get bogged down trying to work your way through a campaign. But maybe I'm reading the physicker talent wrong and you can heal each wound because it says, "However, if he later suffers a different mishap, he can be cured of 2 more of those new hits"?
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote