Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #281
JLV

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Death at ST 0 is very severe, especially if you're just being beaten up in a fist fight.

Seems to me there should be a much smaller cushion than full negative, and maybe a die roll involved. Maybe -snip- roll 3 dice versus ST minus how negative you are, to still be alive, and maybe a further roll(s) to see whether you'll recover or not, modified by what help you get when.
I like this idea! It seems to fit the mechanics of TFT very well, and it still provides some tension in the game. There's some variability built in -- it gives much the same effect as GURPS, but without all the fiddly rules. And luck plays a part -- which means the player has to decide just how far he wants to push it. "How lucky do you feel, punk?" ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #282
zot

I was thinking that once you go negative, you only have a limited number of turns left to live, say 5 turns, unless someone with at least First Aid spends an action to "stabilize" you (get your body situated so you can breathe properly, etc.). Transporting a stabilized person might be dangerous and if a stabilized person takes damage, they need to be stabilized again.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #283
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
I was thinking that once you go negative, you only have a limited number of turns left to live, say 5 turns, unless someone with at least First Aid spends an action to "stabilize" you…
I like this, but I’d rather add some variability to it, maybe 2d turns.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #284
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Quote:
I was thinking that once you go negative, you only have a limited number of turns left to live, say 5 turns, unless someone with at least First Aid spends an action to "stabilize" you (get your body situated so you can breathe properly, etc.). Transporting a stabilized person might be dangerous and if a stabilized person takes damage, they need to be stabilized again.
Thanks, 2d turns works too -- I'm just throwing the idea out there because I think it makes First Aid and the Physicker talents more important and fun. Plus it throws an urgent need right into the middle of combat!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #285
Rick_Smith

Default Healing figures below 0 ST???

Hi all,
I discussed this in the huge TFT thread, but it is worth briefly mentioning again.

In my campaign:

At ST 1, you might fall unconscious. (3vsST roll.)

At ST 0, you fall helpless and might fall unconscious. (3vsST and a -3 ST modifier.)

If you are at negative ST, you might fall unconscious (3vsST with your -ST as a modifier or -3 ST which ever is worse.) Additionally, you fall helpless. Also you are mortally wounded, and will take a point of damage per minute. When you reach your ST x -1, you die.

A physicker can try to save people who are mortally wounded. (This gets much harder the further below zero you are. Down to -3 or so it is not too hard, below -5 it is very hard.)

I do think that saying you go unconscious at 1 or 0 is a very easy to make improvement. It doubles the chance of being knocked out with out being killed, which is more fun, and more realistic.

As for surviving at negative ST, like the idea it is possible to save people who are mortally wounded. (More dramatic and also realistic.) My only concern is that it not be TOO easy to save people who are significantly below zero.

I'm happy with my rules but they are a bit complex. If Steve was to say, "Unconscious at ST 1 or 0. Healing is possible from -1 to -3 ST (death in 30 minutes if untreated). -4 ST and worse is instantly dead." Then that would be quite simple and an improvement (I feel) over old TFT.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Made sentence clearer.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #286
Wayne

Default Re: Healing figures below 0 ST???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
If Steve was to say, "Unconscious at ST 1 or 0. Healing is possible from -1 to -3 ST (death in 30 minutes if untreated). -4 ST and worse is instantly dead." Then that would be quite simple and an improvement (I feel) over old TFT.
This is a good and workable solution. Easy to understand, quick to play.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #287
Oneiros

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Just want to point again to the idea of a "3 strikes" Death Save that I posted ealier. That would definitely set a time limit before death, but with some variability. (Bad/good rolls count as multiple strikes/successes.) Note additional damage while at ST 0 counts as another failed roll.

I prefer a 3d6 roll against a flat 10. This eliminates the need to track any other adjustments, like how far negative the character is. IMO, a ST 15 is already 5 points further way from having to make a Death Save than a ST 10 character. Plus, he's able to wear heavier armor which puts him even further from 0 ST. So, no need to factor ST in *again* for the death save.

However, it's easy enough to adjust the actual value being rolled against - like how far negative, unadjusted ST, etc., if preferred. The "need X number of successes" idea still works. Also, lethality can be dialed up or down too, simply by changing the number for strikes required before dying.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #288
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Just want to point again to the idea of a "3 strikes" Death Save that I posted ealier. That would definitely set a time limit before death, but with some variability. (Bad/good rolls count as multiple strikes/successes.) Note additional damage while at ST 0 counts as another failed roll.

I prefer a 3d6 roll against a flat 10. This eliminates the need to track any other adjustments, like how far negative the character is. IMO, a ST 15 is already 5 points further way from having to make a Death Save than a ST 10 character. Plus, he's able to wear heavier armor which puts him even further from 0 ST. So, no need to factor ST in *again* for the death save.

However, it's easy enough to adjust the actual value being rolled against - like how far negative, unadjusted ST, etc., if preferred. The "need X number of successes" idea still works. Also, lethality can be dialed up or down too, simply by changing the number for strikes required before dying.
Sure, death saves could work but I'm not sure whether 3 successes with 3 allowed failures requires more or less tracking than X turns before you die (whether or not it's based on ST).

If I were using death-saves, I'd make a few changes to your stuff:

1) As I mentioned above, I want to require external stabilization from someone who has First Aid, at least, or you die so I'd make death saves only negative: you die on the third failed roll unless someone else stabilizes you

2) I'd make stabilization require an action but be automatic, just like Physicker's healing, there's already enough randomness with death saves, no need to add more

3) 10 or lower on 3 dice is exactly 50%, so I'd just change it to 3 or lower on one die with no critical results for the same reason as #2 -- I think there's already enough randomness with death saves

This is all just my 2 cents, of course. :)

Last edited by zot; 06-24-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #289
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Comments?

Perhaps a Master Physicker who knows this spell would restore lost hits at only 2 ST each? I like synergies between Master Physicker and other kinds of healing.
Here are some Synergy suggests that you asked about way back when.

Benefit of Healing Spell for Physicker. Since a physicker knows the components of the body and how they interact and how things go wrong with it, a physicker wizard can fine tune a heal.
  • Instead of healing 1 point instantly with the spell, they can cast it on a injured person to allow any past injuries to be healed by any physickers. (and if this is too powerful, modify as you wish)
  • Or it can cut the natural healing times in half. (as suggested by others on this thread.)
  • Or a Physicker can double his healing effectiveness.
  • Or a Master Physiker with a Kit can stabilize a just dead zero HP figure to coma that can only be healed through rest and "Proper Medical Care."
  • Or several weeks of this spell and doctor applications, can HEAL DISEASE.
    Or any combination of these.
Again, a physicker can do this because he KNOWS bodies and how they work.

Some other synergy suggestions:
  • A physicker, in conjunction with a cook and proper food available, could halve the healing rate even if not in "proper medical care".
  • If a physicker IS also an Alchemist, perhaps he could concoct "amphetamines" which eliviates exhaustion?
  • Would you consider a Mundane Talent Herbalist to be "Proper Medical Care"?

AW39 "If you make it back to the surface alive and get proper medical care, you will recover at the rate of one hit every two days."
  • What is Proper Medical Care?
  • What if you don't get a Doc? How long does it take then?
  • Can you longterm heal while on the move in a caravan? on Horseback with a doc watching you?

Would you consider massive amounts of sleep beneficial? If a Physicker SLEEP SPELLed (acts like a sedative) someone over several days (while providing nourishment), would this quicken healing?

On the "you will recover..." Does that mean you can do other things like study or perform magic (as long as he's not causing fatigue to himself) or build things (as long as he's not injuring or fatiguing himself), travel etc.? Any restrictions on this recovery?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #290
JohnPaulB

Hey, does this spell work on animals too?
My guess is it should as its magical and doesn’t need the knowledge of physiology to do it.

You can heal that attack dog of yours without a Veterinarian.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote