Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-03-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
zot

Default Re: Gridless TFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Here is a visual aid for what I was saying about using square grids as hex grids:
https://imgur.com/sCosyr1
Interesting but how do you count megahexes?
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Interesting but how do you count megahexes?
You don't. For ranges given in MH, mulitply by 3.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
hcobb

Note the squares are the same "scale" as the hexes so if you're using D&D five foot squares these are 20% oversized for TFT's 4 foot hexes.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
platimus

Note that the scale can be whatever you want. If you want the squares to be 4 foot, no problem.

Remember, in this scheme, movement, range, etc. is not happening on a square basis. You're moving/counting the dots in the graphic.

Last edited by platimus; 12-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
You don't. For ranges given in MH, mulitply by 3.
5 out of the 6 major directions have 7 hexes for every 3 megahexes giving missile users a 1-MH advantage at 6-megahex range. I count 7 MH max range for a Melee map and 6 MH max range for a Wizard map. So missile users would potentially get +1 DX on the opening turn using a Melee or Wizard map. Maps much larger than those would give missile users more of an advantage.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
platimus

I don't understand what you are saying but it should be understood that trying to use a square grid for this game won't be perfect.

Because I feel like there is some misunderstanding or miscommunication here, I'm going to re-post the following:
Quote:
If you have a square-grid you can stipulate the following for movent, etc...

The center of a square is a space. The four corners (line intersections) are spaces. This approximates a hex-grid if you abstain from moving directly from square-center to square-center in either the east-west or north-south direction. Let's say you chose the east-west direction. If you're on a corner, you can't move directly to the next corner to your east or west. You must move through a square-center first. If you're in a square-center, you must move through a corner first to move east or west. This gives you 6 directions of movement instead of 8. Basically, there's an imaginary dot in the center of each square and you're using the center-hex-dot approach.

Measuring (with a ruler or delineated stick) is probably much easier! :)
This isn't about converting a hex-grid map to a square-grid map. This is about using a square-grid map AS IF it were a hex-grid map. Please ignore the MH outlines in the previously posted visual aid.

Last edited by platimus; 12-03-2018 at 10:28 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #17
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
5 out of the 6 major directions have 7 hexes for every 3 megahexes giving missile users a 1-MH advantage at 6-megahex range. I count 7 MH max range for a Melee map and 6 MH max range for a Wizard map. So missile users would potentially get +1 DX on the opening turn using a Melee or Wizard map. Maps much larger than those would give missile users more of an advantage.
I'm still not sure what you're saying here. It sounded like you were giving a +1 DX bonus to archers shooting at targets 6 or 7 MHs away. That sounded completely whacked, so I assumed I was misunderstanding you. After spending more time than I care to admit, I think I understand what you're saying but I'm still not sure about your specific counting methods. When I multiply MH ranges by 3, I'm always extending the archer's range by one or more hexes. On the other hand, if I multiply MHs by 2, I will sometimes short-change the archer's range.

I think I prefer "sometimes" over "always", so I will multiply MH-ranges by 2 to get hex-ranges. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
platimus

After further review and some graphing, I would multiply MH-ranges by 2 and add 2 to get hex-ranges.

1 MH = ((1MH*2)+2) = 4 hexes
2 MHs = ((2MH*2)+2) = 6 hexes
3 MHs = 8 hexes
4 MHs = 10 hexes
5 MHs = 12 hexes
6 MHs = 14 hexes
Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Skarg

I tend to use a combat ruler or measuring tape for ranged ranges, even while continuing to use hexes for movement, as it is fast, involves no counting, and gives the actual range with no side-effects of the hexgrid.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I tend to use a combat ruler or measuring tape for ranged ranges, even while continuing to use hexes for movement, as it is fast, involves no counting, and gives the actual range with no side-effects of the hexgrid.
That's great but someone asked "How do you count MHs?" in reference to my idea for converting a square-grid map to a hex-grid map. This was a follow-up to that discussion.