Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #41
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: When do you use Reaction Rolls?

On page 359 of Campaigns, it says that Reaction modifiers apply directly to Influence rolls.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #42
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
On page 359 of Campaigns, it says that Reaction modifiers apply directly to Influence rolls.
In those cases I mentioned this is inapplicable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Sure, there are skill rolls which aren't Influence Rolls, but those aren't normally directly influenced by reaction mods
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
That's an incomplete quotation. It also says that "the GM or the skill description may rule that some modifiers do not apply." You seem to want to push for the most expansive possible benefits to be gained from any trait, without regard for the impact of such benefits on the narrative flow of a campaign; but even with that kind of approach, fair is fair—you need to go by the complete text of the rules, not just the part of that text that works in your favor.

As the GM, for example, I would normally rule that being physically attractive or beautiful does not make people afraid of you. And I would note that the text for Intimidation says that really negative appearance can give bonuses, which only makes sense if normal appearance modifiers don't apply, and that the text does not mention standard appearance modifiers as applying. I could make an exception in special cases (perhaps if the character has the Impressive option—a tiger is both beautiful and frightening), but I wouldn't take it as the standard rule. And it appears to me that the full rule about reaction modifiers explicitly authorizes me to make that call.

In the last analysis, it comes down to judgment. Do you think that all of those traits ought to apply to every single attempt someone makes to use an Influence skill, or should some of them apply in some cases and not others? And is there a playable character concept that involves such incredibly high bonuses? I can tell you that I once played in a GURPS Supers campaign where one of the other characters spent a lot of time inquiring into the hidden conspiratorial factors behind people gaining superpowers, using searches of a hidden Internet domain and personal contacts with influential people; it was about as exciting as watching paint dry, and after a couple of sessions of sitting watching, I offered my resignation. You might be in danger of becoming the player of a similarly narrative-capturing character.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #44
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I think that it's as reasonable as anything else that Vincent Price, Christopher Lee or Alan Rickman would be able to deliver a threat much more arrestingly than someone wiith an average, everyday voice. Absent theoretical Limitations, Voice seems to include, indeed typify, that sort of dramatic, authoritative speaking voice, full of self-assurance and conviction, and yes, easily imbued with malevolent and threatening undertones.

A pure clear singing voice is a Perk and/or points in Singing.
Looking in Characters, I see that Voice lists specific skills and Reaction rolls it works for. Wouldn't that mean it doesn't work on skills not listed?

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #45
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
Looking in Characters, I see that Voice lists specific skills and Reaction rolls it works for. Wouldn't that mean it doesn't work on skills not listed?
I would also note that Voice is stated to be "naturally" clear, resonant, and attractive. To me that says that it's an inherent quality of the vocal tract, not a learned skill in modulating one's speaking or singing tones.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #46
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think it's reasonable to suppose that Voice gives you a bonus to Influence rolls based on Intimidation, nor probably on Streetwise. I suppose I could see it working with Savoir-Faire (High Society), but not necessarily with the other version.

What's intimidating about Darth Vader? The costume is striking and his Appearance advantage for it certainly helps but he doesn't look much more menacing than a storm trooper. It's that voice, that rich tremulous powerfully low voice. Most legendary villains we played by actors who were also famous for opera or musical theater because having a powerful and well-disciplined voice is amazingly intimidating tool. It is the difference between making someone back down and making a crowd back down.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #47
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
The one thing I don't always follow when running reaction rolls is the change to a merchant's prices. The baker's guild that sets prices is not going to be happy with a merchant who breaks guild rules and undercuts the competition. And as much as I try to be nice to the people at Walmart, they don't sell me my batteries any cheaper than if I'm grumpy.
You don't live in a haggle-based society. Go to a garage sale - you can get things cheaper by nicer and more attractive. It definitely depends on the situation though.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #48
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would also note that Voice is stated to be "naturally" clear, resonant, and attractive. To me that says that it's an inherent quality of the vocal tract, not a learned skill in modulating one's speaking or singing tones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
What's intimidating about Darth Vader? The costume is striking and his Appearance advantage for it certainly helps but he doesn't look much more menacing than a storm trooper. It's that voice, that rich tremulous powerfully low voice. Most legendary villains we played by actors who were also famous for opera or musical theater because having a powerful and well-disciplined voice is amazingly intimidating tool. It is the difference between making someone back down and making a crowd back down.
It's reasonable, but it isn't in the RAW as far as I can tell. I think you'd need an Intimidation Perk or one-skill Talent to add it.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #49
Rupert

Quote:
It also says that bit I quoted earlier:
Quote:
All your personal reaction modifiers (although the GM or the skill description may rule that some modifiers do not apply)...
The big part is the latter clause, where it notes that skill descriptions count. As whswhs has noted, if it specifically notes that some advantage does apply for one skill, that implies that it does not for others.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #50
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
You don't live in a haggle-based society. Go to a garage sale - you can get things cheaper by nicer and more attractive. It definitely depends on the situation though.
Yes, that can be because of you a good net reaction bonus, and the other guy rolling in your favour on the Reaction Table (possibly because of your bonus). It doesn't mean that you have a high Merchant skill because of your appearance bonus.

In fact, using the Basic Set, a successful Merchant roll (getting you 'good') just gets you the going price and a pleasant interaction, unless you're haggling, in which case it's a quick contest for +-10% on the price (and whether or not you think appearance should adjust a Merchant-based influence rolls, it doesn't count here). However, if you use your good looks for a reaction roll (at +1 or +2 if you have points in Merchant), you might swing a much better bargain.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote