Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2020, 04:55 AM   #521
Vikingv

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

7. Something else (please specify).

Two years of basic training, followed by two years of specialized training for the field they are planning to enter (navigation, science, weapons).
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #522
isf

6. It varies by species, or by individual learning rate, regardless of campus or specialization.

Given TL advances and the ability to customize learning for each student, this seems like the most reasonable way to train. Humans in real life often suffer from being produced like a one-size-fits-all factory product: I'd expect having aliens in the organization would make the modern methods of teaching fail even harder for many people.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #523
TGLS

3/4/6: It's generally a four year program, though it can be stretched out or accelerated based on the whims of students. Medical doctors take twice as long to graduate.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #524
Prince Charon

OK, so two vote for three and four, and two votes for 6, but one of each of those is the same vote. Anyone else want to vote, or should I try to do some combination (probably close to TGLS's idea, though 'whims' is a little too casual for this)?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #525
Prince Charon

Sorry this took so long. I got writer's block on new Academy questions, but yesterday came up with ideas for at least three on a new subject:

FTL Communications question I

As far as I can tell, we haven't touched much on communications at interstellar distances. Each of the options below are likely to have a range of effects on the setting, some more than others.

1. Couriers only, no FTL signals. This may be the case for less advanced but still warp-capable civilizations, even if other forms are chosen. Alternatively, FTL communications might have been developed by some or most civilizations before warp drive. That's probably a subject for a different vote.

2. Telepathy. FTL communication works by massively extending the ranges of existing telepaths. Electronic communication at interstellar ranges is not possible unless both telepaths also have useful cyberpsi abilities. Also, communication between telepaths who know each other well is far easier than long-range communication with unknown recipients.

3. Telepathy, but using long-range psychotronic generators, so an active telepath is not needed, and computers can communicate with each other directly.

4. ESP. Communication systems scan for specific beacons, which display information, often visually, for the sensors. Psi Sense/Signature Sniffer psychotronic generators can allow the identification of the scanning system, though transmission outside of prearranged times requires planning (e.g. scanning the area around a known receiver off and on in a pattern that means 'I have a long message, scan me,' or 'please send help'). Without a beacon, or with the beacon turned off, detailed scanning at interstellar ranges may be difficult or impossible. However, an active beacon is far more easily located by hostile sensors than a location or vehicle with an inactive beacon. An interstellar internet may be possible, but the option below is probably better for it.

5. Ergokinetic transceivers allow direct communication between computers. This may have the same 'beacon' problem as ESP, or may allow broadcasting, but with sufficient speed and range, allows for the possibility of an internet that spans Known Space.

6. Teleportation (indirectly). Space warps are detectable at interstellar ranges, and thus warp-capable civilizations often develop the means of extending their detection radius, and of sending more data in shorter timeframes. This is normally broadcast, and indeed, tight-beam transmissions may be difficult or impossible.

7. Most or all of the above have been used, and may still be in use. If most, please note which should be excluded.

8. Something else (please specify). This may be 'all of the above plus this other thing or things.'

Please include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #526
Phantasm

While I am a fan of "Couriers only, no FTL signals" for my own setting, it's not meant to be a Star Trek style setting. For matching the Star Trek feel, I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
3. Telepathy, but using long-range psychotronic generators, so an active telepath is not needed, and computers can communicate with each other directly.
is the better option.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #527
TGLS

3 or 5 is primary, but all the others have been used for some reason or another (perhaps to keep things secret)
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #528
Prince Charon

Two votes isn't much of a consensus, so I'm leaving this vote open for now. The next question is already written, it just might require a couple of edits based on the final answer to this one.

-- Tacitus

Old 12-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #529
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
FTL Communications question I
I vote a broadcast-only variant of 5. I would be OK with an FTL internet that suffered the appropriate lag at long distances.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #530
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
3 or 5 is primary, but all the others have been used for some reason or another (perhaps to keep things secret)
I second that. some preference for 3.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building