Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
DAT

Default Black Ocean - Space Oprea Fantasy Setting

Has anyone looked into doing J. S. Morin's Black Ocean setting, a space opera fantasy, in GURPS?

I've been listening to his Galaxy Outlaws/Black Ocean series on my daily commutes for work, and am thinking about how I would use the setting for a GURPS Campaign. One of the reasons is my gaming group included some near luddites and some tech savvy folks, which the setting would handle nicely.

If you aren't familiar with the setting, it is a blend of fantasy (magic, wizards, magic items, and gods) with science/space opera (lasers, blasters, computers, spacecraft, defensive shields, etc.). FTL travel is conducted by a spacecraft launching into orbit on reactionless thrusters, its anti gravity supplied by a magic "gravity stone", then either a wizard or a magic "astral drive" pushing the ship into Astral Space, the navigation computer determine its astral depth (which is a logarithmic type determination of its speed), and a the thrusters pushing the ship in the right direction. Advanced Technology (A-Tech) can be disrupted/destroyed by nearby magic use, so Wizards normally only use Primitive Technology (P-Tech).
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
DAT

Default Re: Black Ocean - Space Oprea Fantasy Setting

The stories describe wizards performing magic by winning arguments with the universe to convincing it to do what they want (keep normal earth gravity on a rock, push a ship into Astral space, cause an elemental discharge of lightning, cause a rock wall to act like a door, heal a body, etc.). A battle of Wills is a common description.

Any thoughts on which magic system in GURPS this would be best represented by?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
T A battle of Wills is a common description.

Any thoughts on which magic system in GURPS this would be best represented by?
Without substantial modification the closest might be Hexes from Gurps
Deadlands. With modificiation to being Will-based......eh, maybe Path/Book because of the number of effects that use Margin of Success.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
deathbyflossing

Thank you, good sir, for pointing me at what looks like a very interesting series :-).
deathbyflossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Without substantial modification the closest might be Hexes from Gurps
Deadlands. With modificiation to being Will-based......eh, maybe Path/Book because of the number of effects that use Margin of Success.
I think I have a copy of Deadlands in storage. I mostly just have my PDFs handy these days,

A Will based Path/Book sounds like a start. Time to crack open Magic and the Thaumatology supplements.