Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
fengmd

Default Character - Weird Magician

Hi everyone!

I was reading Powers - The Weird manual and liked the Para-Energy section (pg 35) enough to try tweaking two of the abilities (Force Shield and Force Burst) and then I ended up making a 300CP character that uses them, but before I share anything I must preface this by saying that I'm still fairly "new" to GURPS (got serious last September) so forgive me if I've made any grave errors in character creation! I tried using these fora to get some extra ideas and to verify if what I was doing was allowed or what limitations were legal or not...the basis for the ranged healing ability Shannon uses was posted on here a while ago.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if this is the correct format for a posting a character sheet on here, but this is what GCA exported when I used the "export" option. If you want more details/numbers, just ask me and I'll try and answer your questions!

Alright, so what do you think? I appreciate any feedback you could provide and I'm open to dialog about improving Shannon. :)

EDIT: I did some more reading about Alternative Abilities and changed things a little, but the character is mostly the same.

Name: Shannon Paige
Race: Human

Attributes [190]
ST 10
DX 12 [40]
IQ 16 [120]
HT 12 [20]

HP 12 [4]
Will 16
Per 16
FP 12

Basic Lift 20
Damage 1d-2/1d

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6

Air Move 15/30
Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]

Advantages [175]
Non-Weird Abilities [52]

Absolute Direction (3D Spatial Sense) [10]
Appearance (Beautiful) (Off-the-Shelf Looks) [6]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Energy Reserve (35) (Abilities Only; Special Recharge) [21]

Weird Abilities [123]

Crushing Attack (Force Burst) (6) (Cosmic: Irresistible attack; Costs FP (+9); Double Knockback; Explosive (Damage / 3xYards); Increased Range: Line of Sight (Base Range 100 yards) (+1); Long-Range (+3); Minimum Range (1% of max range); Vision-Based; Weird) [44]
Healing Beam (Affects Self; Alternative Ability; Capped (8 FP); Cosmic (Removes -3 Perception check for repeated use); Human Allies Only; Injuries Only; Ranged; Reduced Fatigue Cost (+2); Reduced Time (+1); Variable Effects (treats each 4HP of Healing as 1d); Vision-Based) [4]

Damage Resistance (Force Shield) (28) (Absorption (Heals FP); Can't Wear Armor; Force Field; Hardened (+1); Immunity to Knockback (Accessibility, Only vs. attacks stopped by DR) (+1); Semi-Ablative; Weird) [55]
Flight (Activation Required - free action; Alternative Ability; Cannot Hover; Maximum Duration (Up to 1 hour); Planetary; Weird) [4]

Altered Time Rate 1 (Maximum Duration (Up to 30 minutes); Only Attack Maneuvers; Weird) [24];
Enhanced Move (Air) (1) (Alternative Ability; Weird) [4]

Perks [3]
Attribute Substitution (Innate Attack (Beam) based on Per) [1]
Attribute Substitution (Innate Attack (Gaze) based on Per) [1]
Nonprotective Clothing [1]

Disadvantages [-90]
Addiction (Nicotine) (Cheap) (Highly addictive; Legal) [-5]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Neurological Disorder (Asymptomatic Multiple Sclerosis) [-8]
Numb [-20]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Skinny [-5]
Social Stigma (Occultic) (-1) [-5]
Unhealing (Partial) [-20]
Unnatural Feature (Heterochromia Iridum) (-2) [-2]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]

Quirks [-5]
Alcohol Intolerance [-1]
Allergy (Cats) [-1]
Allergy (Pollen) [-1]
Needs Reading Glasses [-2]

Skills [27]
Aerobatics DX/H[-1] - DX/2+6 12 [2]
includes: +2 from 'Absolute Direction'
Area Knowledge (Town) IQ/E[+1] - IQ/2+5 13 [1]
Body Sense DX/H[-1] - DX/2+6 12 [1]
includes: +3 from 'Absolute Direction'
Breakfall (Aerobatics) Tech/A - 12 [0]
Computer Operation/TL8 IQ/E[+1] - IQ/2+5 13 [1]
Evade (Aerobatics) Tech/A - 12 [0]
Fast-Talk IQ/A[+0] - IQ/2+4 12 [1]
Flight HT/A[+0] - HT/2+4 10 [1]
Innate Attack (Beam) Per/E - Per+3 19 [8]
Innate Attack (Gaze) Per/E - Per+3 19 [7]
Observation Per/A[+0] - Per/2+4 12 [1]
Sex Appeal (Human) HT/A[+2] - HT/2+10 16 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Appearance'
Stealth DX/A[+0] - DX/2+6 12 [3]

Stats [190]
Ads [175]
Disads [-90]
Quirks [-5]
Skills [27] = Total [300]

Last edited by fengmd; 03-21-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: updated character sheet to reflect some changes I made
fengmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Kax

Default Re: Character - Weird Magician

Have you worked out what the minimum blast range is on the attack? Shannon's going to be running away a lot in combat to get to blast range if it's based on visible range with a Per like that.

What's the described effect of the Weird power origin? Is there a counter to Weird abilities?

What's the ER power recharge condition?

What's the partial unhealing? I'm assuming Shannon's own healing is the only way, given what you've designed.

What's the background story reasons for MS and Numb? Side effects of gaining the powers? And if the MS is asymptomatic how is the character inconvenienced?

Would the Social Stigma work better as an Odious Personal Habit "obtrusively 'occult' in dress and behaviour."?

I do like the idea of 'defend or fly'.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
fengmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Have you worked out what the minimum blast range is on the attack? Shannon's going to be running away a lot in combat to get to blast range if it's based on visible range with a Per like that.

What's the described effect of the Weird power origin? Is there a counter to Weird abilities?

What's the ER power recharge condition?

What's the partial unhealing? I'm assuming Shannon's own healing is the only way, given what you've designed.

What's the background story reasons for MS and Numb? Side effects of gaining the powers? And if the MS is asymptomatic how is the character inconvenienced?

Would the Social Stigma work better as an Odious Personal Habit "obtrusively 'occult' in dress and behaviour."?

I do like the idea of 'defend or fly'.
I'm glad you asked about the Force Burst. Is there something wrong with her Per level? I saw a thread on here that said if I used the modifers:

Increased Range: Line of Sight (Base Range 100 yards) and Long Range (+2)

that an attack can hit anything within visual range of the user without range penalties (see Christopher Rice's comment in this thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158653).

I did remove minimum range after reading your logical point, lol.

I also added selective area and variable to it while knocking up the explosive radius tot the third level (+150%), which divides damage by the distance in yards and is +150%.

Weird power modifier from the Weird manual says, "The standard modifier treats weirdness as many comics treat superpowers: The same anti-powers and technologies are effective against all weird powers." So that's what I'm going with.

The ER power recharge condition is from the Force Shield Absorption, FP-Only modifier. Actually, that kind of DR absorption for FP only restores ER. So whenever the shield takes damage, it restores some ER.

Partial unhealing means she can only be healed by un-natural means, so her own healing or via someone else's ability. In the Compendium it was also called "No Natural Healing."

The background story for the MS? Truth be told, I have asymptomatic MS, so I just gave her one of my own rl disdvantages, lol. While numbness is a common symptom of MS, I had in mind something similar to an acquired peripheral neuropathy for the numbness, sorry I can't be more specific because, I, fortunately, don't have that symptom IRL. :/ For the MS disadvantage thing, I halved the penalty on neurological disorders from -2 to -1 to GR:High Manual Dexterity and reduced the value from -15 CP to -8 CP. Does that make sense?

I like the social stigma idea and have taken what you've suggested to heart and modified her stuff, so thank you!

Name: Shannon Paige
Race: Human

Attributes [199]
ST 10
DX 12 [40]
IQ 16 [120]
HT 12 [20]

HP 12 [4]
Will 16
Per 19 [15]
FP 12

Basic Lift 20
Damage 1d-2/1d

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6

Air Move 12/36
Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages [184]
Absolute Direction (3D Spatial Sense) [10]
Altered Time Rate (1) (Maximum Duration (Up to 30 minutes); Only Attack Maneuvers; Weird) [24]
Appearance (Beautiful) (Off-the-Shelf Looks) [6]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Crushing Attack (Force Burst) (6) (Cosmic: Irresistible attack; Costs FP (+9); Double Knockback; Explosive (Damage / 1xYards); Increased Range: Line of Sight (Base Range 100 yards) (+1); Long-Range (+2); Nuisance Effect: ability physically inconveniences you (tinnitus); Selective Area; Variable; Vision-Based; Weird) [49]
Damage Resistance (Force Shield) (30) (Absorption (Heals ER FP); Can't Wear Armor; Force Field; Hardened (+1); Immunity to Knockback (Accessibility, Only vs. attacks stopped by DR) (+1); Semi-Ablative; Weird) [58]
Energy Reserve (36) (Abilities Only; Special Recharge) [22]
Enhanced Move (Air) (1.5) (Alternative Ability; Cannot Hover; Maximum Duration (Up to 1 hour); Planetary; Weird) [4]
Flight (Activation Required - free action; Alternative Ability; Cannot Hover; Maximum Duration (Up to 1 hour); Planetary; Weird) [4]
Healing (Affects Self; Alternative Ability; Capped (8 FP); Cosmic (Removes -3 Perception check for repeated use); Human Allies Only; Injuries Only; Ranged; Reduced Fatigue Cost (+2); Reduced Time (+1); Variable Effects (treats each 4HP of Healing as 1d); Vision-Based) [4]
Non-Weird Abilities [53]
Weird Abilities [131]

Perks [3]
Attribute Substitution (Innate Attack (Beam) based on Per) [1]
Attribute Substitution (Innate Attack (Gaze) based on Per) [1]
Nonprotective Clothing [1]

Disadvantages [-90]
Addiction (Nicotine) (Cheap) (Highly addictive; Legal) [-5]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Neurological Disorder (Asymptomatic Multiple Sclerosis) [-8]
Numb [-20]
Odious Personal Habit (obtrusively 'occult' in dress and behaviour) (-1) [-5]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Skinny [-5]
Unhealing (Partial) [-20]
Unnatural Feature (Heterochromia Iridum) (-2) [-2]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]

Quirks [-5]
Alcohol Intolerance [-1]
Allergy (Cats) [-1]
Allergy (Pollen) [-1]
Needs Reading Glasses [-2]

Skills [9]
Aerobatics DX/H[-1] - DX/2+5 11 [1]
includes: +2 from 'Absolute Direction'
Body Sense DX/H[-1] - DX/2+6 12 [1]
includes: +3 from 'Absolute Direction'
Breakfall (Aerobatics) Tech/A - 11 [0]
Evade (Aerobatics) Tech/A - 11 [0]
Fast-Talk IQ/A[+0] - IQ/2+4 12 [1]
Flight HT/A[+0] - HT/2+4 10 [1]
Innate Attack (Beam) Per/E - Per+0 19 [1]
Innate Attack (Gaze) Per/E - Per+0 19 [1]
Observation Per/A[+0] - Per/2+4 13 [1]
Sex Appeal (Human) HT/A[+2] - HT/2+10 16 [1]
includes: +4 from 'Appearance'
Stealth DX/A[+0] - DX/2+5 11 [1]

Stats [199] Ads [184] Disads [-90] Quirks [-5] Skills [9] = Total [300]
Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Kax

Clarified nicely. Looks good.

Although I might put Numb (AMS) [-20] rather than two separate disads--give it as the reason for Numb, rather than its own thing. Depends how and how much the AMS affects you separately from Numb.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
fengmd

Quote:
Clarified nicely. Looks good.

Although I might put Numb (AMS) [-20] rather than two separate disads--give it as the reason for Numb, rather than its own thing. Depends how and how much the AMS affects you separately from Numb.
Glad I didn't break anything. ;)

I'm okay with doing what you suggested with the Numb disadvantage...I'll just need to fine another disadvantage or two to take the place of the neurological disorder...how about Compulsive Generosity (-5) and Edgy (-5)?

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
Kax

given a neuro disorder, post-combat shakes. :) SoD: Companions is also a good 5 pt.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #7
fengmd

Quote:
given a neuro disorder, post-combat shakes. :) SoD: Companions is also a good 5 pt.
Great! BTW, here's her updated sheet: : https://imgur.com/a/dZFMWpc

Nifty, huh? :)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
Kax

it certainly nifts.

Looks good. :P
Old 03-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
fengmd

Quote:
it certainly nifts.

Looks good. :P

Thanks! BTW, I tried sending you a forum message but I don't know if it was delivered...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengmd View Post
Thanks! BTW, I tried sending you a forum message but I don't know if it was delivered...

Both of them. :P