Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Gungral

Default Need help or ideas for Cthulhupunk Action templates

So I'm starting a Cthulhupunk champagne. Im using Templates found in Action 1: Heroes,Action 3: Furious Fists and Pyramid #3-05: Horror & Spies. The magic system Im using is base on Paths/Book Rituals, with some Cthulhu Mytho's rituals thrown in there, also add some Psionic abilities found in Psionic Powers.

I'm trying to come up some new concept templates that fit in this world. So far i came up with is a Splicer (Medics, Doctors that specialize in Cybernetic Surgery) and a Acolyte (Traditionalist Magic Practitioner like a shaman, or a houngan). I can sure use some input or ideas.
Gungral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Gef

Default Re: Need help or ideas for Cthulhupunk Action templates

I'd say obviously look a Monster Hunters. The default templates there are 400pt, but the sidekicks supplement has the same level as Action templates. MH includes a template for genetically engineered people with access to exotic advantages like Super Jump. It uses (actually introduced) the Ritual Path Magic system, but you could backport to the standard effect-shaping path book system. Like you, I like it better (and see my Magic Vegas thread for some ideas to expand it: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=162430).

Is the idea that most of the PCs will start the game unaware of the horror elements, or will they know going in that they need some expertise in the Weird?

I do have one idea for a template, but it only makes sense with the reight cosmology: There are other realms, they have different physical laws from the real world, and so they require separate specialties of science/engineering skills, and it would be possible to manufacture things by moving the work in progress from world to world, that couldn't be made in any one world alone. I'd say that Weird Science is the skill you'd need to figure out items created with Multiworld Manufacture, so an MM tech would be cool to play (at least, I'd play one). However, this is a guy who does supernatural things without any personal magic, and it'd take a lot of work from you, as the GM, to determine what he could accomplish, and that might be more work than you bargain for. I'd start by looking at all the TL^ in Ultra-Tech and Psi-Tech.

Last edited by Gef; 03-10-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Benway

You might want to peek at the templates in The Madness Dossier. They are very setting specific, but I have mined and modified them for character concepts. The Thaumatological Scholar and Urban Shaman from Urban Magics seem adaptable for a modernish game, as well.
Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Gungral

@Gef, Yes i keeping the Cthulhu elements a secret from the players, all they know of the world that its a Splatterpunk. even then Monster Hunters, Magic Users and Psionics will not know its a Cthulhupunk champagne. But there will be clues of it if they know when they see it.

All the players can choose any contemporary templates the fits in Cyberworld, the champagne will start with ordinary cyberpunk scenarios. Depending on the Dice Gods wishes, I'll secret let some of the players have access to Monster Hunter and Magic Users, on a very rare roll, Psionics is allowed, but choosing these templates comes with consequences. The game world believes very little in the supernatural or even know of its existence. The government knows and experimenting with psionics, but approach supernatural as if it a variation of psionic powers. Monster Hunters and Magic users are aware of monsters existence, but have no clue how they are tied to the Cthulhu Mythos.
Gungral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungral View Post
[snip] All the players can choose any contemporary templates the fits in Cyberworld, the champagne will start with ordinary cyberpunk scenarios. [snip]
The champagne will start with ordinary cyberpunk scenarios... the absinthe will start when things get dark and weird...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote