Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 12-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
43Supporter

Default Re: Speaking of Autoduel Champions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
That's interesting. In spite of a lot of computer use growing up, I never got hooked by "cyberpunk" in any form. I think cyberlink is an actual term though, used by the US Army to describe the mechanism that gunship pilots use to target their autocannon via head motion. I thought that was kind of cool, helos and the grasshopper were kind of interesting.
What the "CyberLink" was describing was the helmet-mounted targeting gear attack-chopper pilots were just starting to use at the time. (IIRC: There were some very early models in the South-East-Asian Unpleasantness, but the stuff like is shown in _Fire Birds_ didn't come until much later.) The idea was: The wearer need only look at where the target is, and press the bang-button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
But you really think Cyberpunk brought down CW? Do you think ADChamps was some part of that?
If you can find a copy of it, read Bruce Sterling's _The Hacker Crackdown_; it provides most of the data needed. (The rest can be acquired just by looking at SJG product of the period.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
Blue Ghost

I think in the early or mid 80s the system required two or three axial lasers to bathe the cockpit, whereby the head motion could be tracked. Lots of solid state electronics and older chips involved for the system. I've always had a hard time envisioning a system like that for a CW dueling car. At the same time advancements in electronics would probably make it doable, even in the CW-verse.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #13
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
I finally got a chance to read my copy, and it actually does have a page of the counters. Still no map though.
Oddly, I had a map but not the rules (it came in an e-bay CW bundle). I gave it to someone here since they had the rules but no map.

If memory serves there was a large scale map of a building interior (for 25 mm miniatures) and the CW map wasn't particularly inspiring, so you aren't missing much. I could be mis-remembering though.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:40 AM   #14
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
If you can find a copy of it, read Bruce Sterling's _The Hacker Crackdown_; it provides most of the data needed. (The rest can be acquired just by looking at SJG product of the period.)
Bruce Sterling mentions Car Wars?

I suspect the Secret Service raid is the most significant Cyberpunk related impact on SJG productivity.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
Chris Goodwin

The Autoduel Champions PDF now includes the counter sheet, but still not the map.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
brionl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Oddly, I had a map but not the rules (it came in an e-bay CW bundle). I gave it to someone here since they had the rules but no map.

If memory serves there was a large scale map of a building interior (for 25 mm miniatures) and the CW map wasn't particularly inspiring, so you aren't missing much. I could be mis-remembering though.
I have the original, and the counters (well used), and the map (barely touched). I was just talking about the pdf, for people who perhaps don't have the original.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #17
brionl

And now it's available on it's own and not part of the bundle.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ns-2nd-Edition
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
And now it's available on it's own and not part of the bundle.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ns-2nd-Edition
Even better, if you've bought the bundle, and have your Bundle of Holding account linked to your DrivethruRPG account, you can download it from DrivethruRPG.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote