Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
tbone

Default Is there a master list of what spells a given level of Magery lets you access?

DFRPG offers nifty spell lists for clerics and druids, showing exactly what spells become available at each level of Power Investiture.

Wizards, meanwhile, need to work with prerequisite spell chains, as well as the right level of Magery, so a wizard couldn't just pick spells off of a list like the above.

Still, a list would be a useful thing to have! If I choose Magery 2 instead of 1, what extra spells does that let me potentially access (if I meet the chains)? What spells do I lock myself out of by not choosing Magery 3? As it is, a player needs to flip around the book a lot to follow chains and answer these.

So my question: Has someone already worked out a list of the wizardly spells that a wizard can potentially learn, through one chain or another, for each level of Magery?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
martinl

Default Re: Is there a master list of what spells a given level of Magery lets you access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
If I choose Magery 2 instead of 1, what extra spells does that let me potentially access
... In DFRPG, all wizards have Magery 3 or better. It's literally the minimum you can take.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
tbone

Default Re: Is there a master list of what spells a given level of Magery lets you access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
... In DFRPG, all wizards have Magery 3 or better. It's literally the minimum you can take.
Right, but many spells specifically state Magery 0-2 as a requirement, so the option is there in the game for custom builds. Some monsters also have varying levels of Magery (though they're not really bound by Magery requirements, true).

Most importantly, though, every Elf and Half-Elf has Magery 0. What spells can they access with that? As it is, a player has to take each spell of interest and follow its chain back to see whether a Magery 1+ prerequisite pops up along the way.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
Refplace

Why not jus go with the standard handout?
Sure it has extra spells but those could just be crossed out.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #5
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
My half-elf Ranger (er, Scout) has Magery0. I had this notion of lighting incendiary arrows on fire with Ignite to make a Rain of Fire... was too slow to actually use.

But i found some really good spells to use w/ Margery 0 of use to a Scout like eliminating smells and silencing footsteps in addition to starting fires.

My point is a list of Spells available to low Magery folk is good to have and Refplace is right about the standard list working fine. I imagine that the Magery requirement from GURPS to DFRPG match up for all the Spells that are included. Anyone notice any that don’t?

Last edited by LokRobster; 11-21-2018 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Confused myself
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
So my question: Has someone already worked out a list of the wizardly spells that a wizard can potentially learn, through one chain or another, for each level of Magery?
I created such a list for GURPS Magic when working on the data file for GCA4. I could post it, and it could be used with Dungeon Fantasy if you want to pare down the spell list, with two caveats. First, when I made the list I used the lowest level of Magery a mage could possibly have and learn that spell; a few spells have either/or prerequisites where one chain allows learning a spell with a lower level of magery than the other. Second, some prerequisites were changed between Magic and Dungeon Fantasy, and I don't know which ones or how it affects required Magery levels.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
My half-elf Ranger (er, Scout) has Magery0.
And via Exceptional Training (Exploits pg 93) Magery 1+ is possible (if your GM allows). At which point having a list of Magery 0 and Magery 1 spells might be useful.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #8
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Second, some prerequisites were changed between Magic and Dungeon Fantasy, and I don't know which ones or how it affects required Magery levels.
I'm also under the impression that some changes were made to chains in DF and/or DFRPG. So DFRPG would ideally have its own list or own charts.

One of the complications of making a list is the thing that you note: the level of Magery at which a spell becomes available may vary with the chain selected. If I were making a list, I suppose I'd just note the lowest level of Magery allowing the spell.

That'd work... through the nice thing about spell charts (as Refplace mentions) is that they can offer all the information about requirements and chains, unlike the list i describe. Then again, the charts are fiddly to read and take up an awful lot of pages, if you're just wondering what spells become possible at Magery 1 or Magery 2 or whatever. Hence my interest in asking whether someone's already done that work for DFRPG!

Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
ArchonShiva

I made a Magery 0 list for elves:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=155935

As has been said, the Magery 2-3 choice isn’t currently a thing by RAW, and most of them are near the top of prerequisite trees (unlike Magery 1), so a simple CTRL-F in Spells should find almost everything relevant.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #10
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I made a Magery 0 list for elves:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=155935
Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind; thanks! It's an even longer list than I thought. Magery 0 offers benefits with its sense rolls alone; the list shows that it also offers a wide range of spells.

With just a point or two in selected spells, a Magery 0 caster probably won't be great as a combat mage, but has amazing range outside combat, where non-hurried repeated castings can make up for low skill level.

For the Elves and Half-Elves out there, Magery 0 seems quite a bargain.

As for lists of Magery 1 and 2 offerings: I don't think a simple text search will help much in creating a list; it'd turn up spells that require Magery X themselves, but not spells that require Magery X because a prerequisite does. Filling out the list will require following the chain for each spell. Maybe something I'll rouse myself to do later –