Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #81
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Discworld - Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
It definitely raises my interest (and would like a similar treatment to Transhuman Space). In my case it has nothing to do with learning the game but rather hoping a tight, focused single volume game (or many such games) might raise the awareness of GURPS in general.
I have mixed feelings on that.
One of the things i like about GURPS is you have one set of rules that are consistent. Even if thy are modular and you only use some for a particular setting they all fit together in ways that work well.
For anyone who wants to play multiple settings paying for multiple copies of the rules would be off putting.
For newcomers the setting would have to be attractive enough to shell out the cash.
A compromise that could work for the former is two editions of a setting, one with the core rules needed such as GURPS DiscWorld and the setting and another with just the setting and any special rules. But that would drive up editing and layout costs.

The DFRPG seems to be an all in one but as a kickstarter it had reduced risks due to previous commitments. However i bet it did not make as much money as if it would have been done the more traditional way. All those freebies for instance.
If it succeeds though we are likely to see others.
TSH is a good setting but its no longer new or orignal so how attractive would it be? Unfortunately it suffered the mid edition change blues and Changing Times was poorly named and did not jump at you as a conversion book unless you read the details. It needs a book that presents the setting and adapts it and is titled clearly, not something that requires a bunch of Third Edition books to use.
InNominae would be another one I would like to see.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 01-25-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #82
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
He is a real GURPS enthusiast! ;)

Good review though.
I didn't want to comment on that. It is great that someone who has IMHO an unfounded opinion of GURPS still thinks the book is worth buying. Proof of concept its not just for GURPS players.

Anyway he is 33% of the reviews out at the moment. Which means he has done more to promote Discworld RPG than (almost) all the GURPS fans here.

So everyone write a review already! (I'm still waiting for a copy)
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #83
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
One of the things i like about GURPS is you have one set of rules that are consistent.
Honestly, anyone who learns the Discworld RPG rules should be able to adapt to full GURPS in ten minutes or less. Well, they'd have to take the time required to learn stuff like mapped combat or legality classes or the hit location rules, but there'd be no huge unlearning process involved. I kept the customisation process as light-handed as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Anyway he is 33% of the reviews out at the moment.
25%, actually. Look back through this thread.

(But wasn't somebody going to be submitting a review to RPG.net?)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #84
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Using Magic as core skill instead of Thaumatology (addressing a pet peeve) and the forms were pretty much from GURPS Thaumatology, nothing really new (except narativism) but presented in a pretty little package. Take off the setting wrapping paper and bow and you have a system I will be using as well.
Well, then kudos anyway for putting it in a manner that I was able to understand more easily than GURPS Thaumatology (which is mostly due to my trying to read that book only before going to sleep and rules, no matter how well written, tend to put me to sleep so i only read a paragraph or two at most before lights out).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld