Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Saabre

Default First Aid on Non-obvious Wounds

So I had a spell caster expend HP to generate enough mana to cast a spell and then after combat he wanted to use First Aid to heal some of the damage. The self-inflicted damage was the only damage he took and I don't really see it as any kind of obvious damage. So, I was wondering what others thought of using First Aid in that situation. Should it work just like it would on a cut, burn, etc.?
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: First Aid on Non-obvious Wounds

Doubtful, as there is no actual cut/burn/whatever to patch up. If you have a cleric around, they can use magical healing, however.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

I'd say negative on bandaging, but treating shock might be effective at the GM's discretion.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
So I had a spell caster expend HP to generate enough mana to cast a spell and then after combat he wanted to use First Aid to heal some of the damage. The self-inflicted damage was the only damage he took and I don't really see it as any kind of obvious damage. So, I was wondering what others thought of using First Aid in that situation. Should it work just like it would on a cut, burn, etc.?
Depends on how it works. Sometimes he bleeds from his eyes or gets burns on his hands or stuff like that. What is the in-game effect of burning HP?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd say negative on bandaging, but treating shock might be effective at the GM's discretion.
I'd normally just say no

But the treating shock approach isn't totally ridiculous. First aid of the sort that might work on a victim of already absorbed poison, heatstroke, or "freezing" that wasn't actually cold enough to cause frostbite might actually help - though since that mostly amounts to forcing you to rest, keep warm and absorb warm calorie containing liquids it's not very compatible with going back to adventuring for at least hours. Still, I might be persuaded by a house rule to let a First Aid roll recover some of the hit points spent at the end of an immediate period of complete rest long enough to recover all your fatigue without using any kind of skills or energy recovery magic.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Anthony

Per RAW, it looks like only bleeding wounds can be bandaged, and first aid can only be done after bandaging, so any wound that does not bleed cannot be given first aid. This seems more like a rules anomaly than intent, though.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Per RAW, it looks like only bleeding wounds can be bandaged, and first aid can only be done after bandaging, so any wound that does not bleed cannot be given first aid. This seems more like a rules anomaly than intent, though.
First Aid on wounds where bandaging didn't apply has been referenced in books, I'm pretty sure.

The rules may technically imply you can't do that, but I'd say that's clearly a glitch.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Anders

Just make HP burning manifest as bleeding stigmata.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Saabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Depends on how it works. Sometimes he bleeds from his eyes or gets burns on his hands or stuff like that. What is the in-game effect of burning HP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Just make HP burning manifest as bleeding stigmata.
That's an idea I'm now definitely considering. Thank you.
Saabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'd normally just say no

But the treating shock approach isn't totally ridiculous. First aid of the sort that might work on a victim of already absorbed poison, heatstroke, or "freezing" that wasn't actually cold enough to cause frostbite might actually help - though since that mostly amounts to forcing you to rest, keep warm and absorb warm calorie containing liquids it's not very compatible with going back to adventuring for at least hours. Still, I might be persuaded by a house rule to let a First Aid roll recover some of the hit points spent at the end of an immediate period of complete rest long enough to recover all your fatigue without using any kind of skills or energy recovery magic.
This would fit with Potterverse first aid for dementor attacks, Sit Quietly and eat Chocolate.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote