Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #1371
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Steve Jackson Games is many things, and one of them is transparent. Each year, they put out the Stakeholder's Report, and each year there's a lot of conversation about it.

Well, Gaming Ballistic is more than a blog, it's a company and a producer of games and other things. And taking my cue from a company that I admire, I present here my own version of the same thing

Ballistic’s Report for 2017
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #1372
DouglasCole

GURPSDay Summary Feb 16, 2018 – Feb 22, 2018

Welcome to GURPSDay 2018, and the fourth year – GURPSDay started in February 2013, only a year after I started Gaming Ballistic.

We’re currently drawing content from 96 blogs. We’re still picking up some feed issues with them, but once they’re solved, we’re that much closer to having 100 GURPS blogs.

We still need your help. And if you just started a GURPS blog – and I know that some of you have – email me and get on the list! With the advent of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, Powered by GURPS, there’s even more reason to write.

How? Two action items: post more, recruit more. It’s really that simple. More posters is more posts, and more interest in GURPS.

Below you can find the blog activity for the last week. There’s a whole lotta awesome GURPS going on. Read all the posts.

Not every blog posts about GURPS every week, but some are ridiculously prolific! The list is randomized, so different bloggers will be highlighted at the top of the post each week.

As always, if you’re interested in having your blog consolidated here, navigate over to The Instructions Page and drop me a line. Take special note of the RSS Settings Fix if you’re on WordPress.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #1373
DouglasCole

Disads frequently work into themes. Themed disads are a lot like Aspects from Fate, or Heroic Foibles from Pointless Looting and Slaying. A worked example of disad simplification from a character I'm about to play.

Aspects, Clustered Disads and GURPS
Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #1374
Kalzazz

Was the quarter pound arrows arrived at using TDS? The mix of a form of Pointless Slaying and Looting and TDS seems curious
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #1375
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Was the quarter pound arrows arrived at using TDS? The mix of a form of Pointless Slaying and Looting and TDS seems curious
It's an historical figure. My bow is ST 18, which is on the order of 160-165 pound draw using the TDS method of BL/2. Historical arrows for bows of that draw weight could mass 1500 grains, or about 0.21 lbs. There are "uphill, both ways" historical documents whinging about how the yeoman couldn't fire quarter-pound arrows 275 yards anymore like back in my day, etc.

It's fluff, though, not mechanics, in this context.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #1376
Kalzazz

Ah, well, being able to only have 4 arrows to the pound vs 10 is a noticeable difference

How did you manage to get 2d+5 from ST 18?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #1377
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Ah, well, being able to only have 4 arrows to the pound vs 10 is a noticeable difference

How did you manage to get 2d+5 from ST 18?
ST 18 is 1d+3, and then I think I get a boost to ST from being Elven, and then Weapon Master hits up +2 per die (+4) and there's the bonus from the bow itself. There are some house rules in play I think.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #1378
Kalzazz

18 is 1d+2 thr . . . If it's an Elven bow then +2 ST so 20 for 2d-1, +4 for weapon master and +2 for being a longbow would hit the 2d+5 mark exactly
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #1379
DouglasCole

Several posts on the topic of Disadvantages came up this week. First a repeat of the one that started the conversation:

The way that you pick disads in GURPS can be rough. You need a lot of them even by default at 250 points, with the basic templates calling for-50 points in disads, which could be as few as 3 15-pointers, or as many as 10 5-pointers. That can be a lot of boolean menu-picking.

Aspects, Clustered Disads and GURPS

Kalzazz then stepped up with his own entry:

Inspired by Douglas’ cool post on organization of disadvantages, I also follow a certain way of thinking about disadvantages. Buckets of Points (Pyramid 65) presents an option for giving players different amount of points for different amounts of positive traits, skills, attributes, advantages etc.

While I do not strictly budget disadvantages, I have for a long time regarded them in the same way, and believe that it helps to keep in mind three buckets when choosing disadvantages for a character, allowing a character that has characterization but is not a menace to society for DM or player!

Buckets of Disads! (guest post by Kalzazz)

Then an entry by Michael Wolf, which I captured with his permission from a long Google+ post:

Since disadvantages are unofficial topic of the week I’ve been thinking about our storied history of disadvantages and I was writing a HUGE response to Douglas Cole and realized it wasn’t really even on topic. So I decided to post separately.

Disadvantages: An argument for template (guest post by Michael Wolf)
Old 02-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #1380
DouglasCole

Two themed posts for today.

In the forums, I said I'd write a post on production costs. So I'm tossing this out here. Costs reflect my own estimates and experiences, and could be way off. I don't think so, but I'm new at this myself. Love to hear other opinions and experiences.

RPG Development Costs

A bit of an "I'm feeling guilty about things" follow-up post to my "how much does it cost to make an RPG" prior offering. There are other, less expensive ways to produce an RPG, and there are lots of ways to lower the cash-flow requirements of development.

Economizing on RPG Development Costs

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb