Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Anders

Default KYOS - getting rid of thrust and swing damage

With the alternative ST system presented in Pyramid 3/83, trust is always equal to swing-2. So why not get rid of the distinction entirely? Does it interact with any other rules?

Instead, each attack mode of a weapon shifts the character's strength up or down the damage table. For esthetic reasons I suggest fixing the damage at 1d for a ST 10 character. Each +1 to ST gives +1 to damage, with the progression nd-1, nd, nd+1, nd+2, (n+1)d-1, etc.

The only other rule I can think of where the distinction between swinging and thrusting damage matters is the Get Stuck rule. Now, I find this rule a little strange, because it shouldn't matter whether the weapon is swung or thrust. I suggest the rule be amended thusly:
Any impaling damage that crosses a certain threshold - say HP/2 - risks getting stuck, as per the rule on p. B405. Does that make spears worhtless? Or maybe just say that certain damage modes risk getting stuck.

Thoughts?

Tags
alternate gurps, combat, damage, knowing your own strength, pyramid 3/83