Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
hal

Default Jet Ski's and GURPS

Hello Folks,
I was wondering - why doesn't GURPS have jet ski's listed in High Tech, or any of the basic books? I'm not finding it anywhere :(

Hal

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Jet Ski's and GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hello Folks,
I was wondering - why doesn't GURPS have jet ski's listed in High Tech, or any of the basic books? I'm not finding it anywhere :(

Hal
GURPS seems to be pretty short on sporting equipment. It shouldn't be too hard to create stats for jet skis though. Just look up the mass, speed, occupancy etc for the model you want to use, and translate that into HP, Move and the other GURPS stats. The difficult ones will be HT and Hnd/SR, since they don't have a direct correlation to any real-world measurement. I would estimate those based on other powered water vehicles, and ground vehicles of similar dimensions (ie, motorcycles). This gives a jet ski Hnd/SR around +2/2 and HT 10-11f.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
hal

Default Re: Jet Ski's and GURPS

thanks for the response :)

As it is - I'm starting to get a little bit frustrated with GURPS and the powers that be in that we STILL don't have a VEHICLE design system worthy of the name for GURPS 4e.

When I attempt to use stuff from the original GURPS VEHICLES rules and ULTRATECH rules, I feel a further level of frustration at going with "instinctive" recollection of the rules, only to find that the new version of ULTRATECH invalidates it. For instance? Cybernetic eyes with the Infrared aspect is available at TL8 for GURPS 3e, yet isn't available until TL10 in GURPS 4e version. I never liked the idea of using character construction rules to build vehicles - and when I try to build things like jet ski's and the like, it gets even more annoying.

If this keeps up - I'm likely to just say screw it, dump the 4e framework for vehicles and tech levels, and just go with the GURPS 3e framework for vehicle design, tech levels for various gizmos, and make "fixes" on those things said to be at a later TL but are in use today. <sigh>

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is online now   Reply With Quote