Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Whitey Fats

Default Re: Playing Gods Campaign idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
It's cool, we can still be friends! :) It's just I was a theology minor, so nothing in the book wowed me.
Oh that explains lol But it's good for gaming, I'm not trying to create something as complex as a real religion

Reading: The Wheel Of Time
Whitey Fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
David Johnston2

Incidentally, there is a currently available game dealing with that subject.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=54415

You might not want it, but you could want some of the supplements.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
. . . From the little things like why even the weakest god is still a god and the strongest mortal is not (something called Primal energy - gods have it and it underlies *everything*) . . .
That energy would be the Cosmic power source in GURPS, no?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Yes, the stuff that Primal does would be represented with Cosmic in 4rth edition.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yes, the stuff that Primal does would be represented with Cosmic in 4rth edition.
Yes and no. Primal in that system comes in two forms - Base and Flux. Base can be spent as flux, but it is a long term losing proposition as the amount of Base a deity has determines how much Flux they get/ generate/ pull in in roughly a day's time. Base pretty much *only* goes up as the deity gets older or takes a more powerful position in the cosmology (possibly by force).

Primal flux, adjusting the terminology slightly to reflect 4.0 GURPS rather than the version out at the time, can be spent to make any power temporarily Cosmic. Most likely the cost in Flux needed for this would vary depending on the ability.

Primal abilities and Cosmic abilities would have enormous overlap though. If Primal Order was updated to GURPS 4.0 I am sure they would take this into account.

Primal Base would be difficult to handle in GURPS. You would almost have to meta-game it and allow the deity to spend it as character points for creation ex nihilo. Which in a deity's case really *is* creating out of nothing. Flux is more like using Primal to manipulate or augment something already there.

Sorry to ramble. I love the system hugely.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft
Primal Base would be difficult to handle in GURPS. You would almost have to meta-game it and allow the deity to spend it as character points for creation ex nihilo. Which in a deity's case really *is* creating out of nothing. Flux is more like using Primal to manipulate or augment something already there.

Sorry to ramble. I love the system hugely.
<marks a "yay" in the ledger for PO> *g*

Based on your descriptions (I do not remember much about the system myself, save that I was unimpressed by it), it does not sound too difficult to convert Base. Create with appropriately broad category, Cosmic enhanced (to whatever modification that fits), and possibly setting fiat that only deities can spend points to make creations permanent.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
Jasonft

Base was so hard to model in GURPS because it was, well, everything that existed in PO. Deep down at the level that only a deity could reach anything that exists is supposedly Primal.

Getting a bit off topic here, but Primal was that systems answer to what fundamental thing separated gods from everything else. In that system if you could directly manipulate Primal you were a god - if you could not you might be the most powerful mage ever but you were still ultimately limited.

A valid point methinks... In the proposed campaign what makes the gods in question <dramatic drumroll and echo chamber> GODSgodsgodsgods and not just obscenely powerful beings claiming to be such? What can they do that nobody else can?
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
I'd call it 'Primal' to make it distinct from the 'cosmic' enhancement that PCs with lots of CPs might gain access to. 'Primal' would, of course, be the next tier up from 'Cosmic' (mainly because I think it is useful to have a 'overrides normal magic' enhancement that isn't necessarily the same thing as gawd-power).
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
kdtipa

When I read the description, my eyes lit up about the "heroes" that can be born to a god and a mortal. My interest suddenly became the idea of the players playing a group of these half-god people. That sounds like fun.

I think playing as a "god" would be difficult, and for me... not as fun.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
When I read the description, my eyes lit up about the "heroes" that can be born to a god and a mortal. My interest suddenly became the idea of the players playing a group of these half-god people. That sounds like fun.
In Scion, you start as such a hero, but I think you can become a god eventually.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gods, gurps, gurps 4e, the primal order