Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Poisoned Tea

Default Operation Endgame

I am pretty interested in this adventure, but I'm pretty sure it's not 4th edition. What edition is it, and would it be difficult to run with 4th? What sorts of changes would I have to make for it to be compatible?
Poisoned Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Ego Archive

Default Re: Operation Endgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoned Tea View Post
I am pretty interested in this adventure, but I'm pretty sure it's not 4th edition. What edition is it, and would it be difficult to run with 4th? What sorts of changes would I have to make for it to be compatible?
I'm pretty sure that book is 3rd Edition, but I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt, I will have to look through my copy of it.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Poisoned Tea

Well, publishing date says 1993. So I figured it'd be something other than 3rd ed, but I don't really follow the dates of the editions.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoned Tea View Post
Well, publishing date says 1993. So I figured it'd be something other than 3rd ed, but I don't really follow the dates of the editions.
If it's 1993, it's 3e.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

It's 3e, but I've heard that it's easily adaptable and awesome as hell from multiple forum users.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It's 3e, but I've heard that it's easily adaptable and awesome as hell from multiple forum users.
Yes and yes. It's actually a series of four adventures that can be run either independently or as a campaign, for an Espionage-themed group. The last adventure also has some leeway to involve Special Ops if you like.

Note that the first adventure has some "winding down the Cold War" themes to it ... but given Putin's Russia, it shouldn't be too hard to bring it up to date.

EDIT: As far as making it 4e compatible, probably all that needs to be changed are the values on the character sheets and the way languages are handled. The stories themselves aren't overly rulebound.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Graham

I actually ran the first adventure ("Operation Endgame" itself) a couple of months ago. I ran it using 4e and didn't do any prep work to convert from 3e in advance. The story can run in a way that involves pure investigation and stealth, and if it does come down to combat you can pretty much use the 3e stats or adapt them on the fly.

I left it set at the end of the Cold War and ran it as a period piece, so there was no updating required.

It was good stuff, too. Recommended.

Graham
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Max Schreck

Operation Endgame is indeed a nifty little Espionage campaign, and as said it is easily adaptable to 4e.

The first adventure, while very entertaining and plot-wise one of the best of the campaign, is incredibly poorly researched, however. You might want to do some research yourself on Denmark and Copenhagen for the first scenario, because everything in the book is wrong, from the native names, the currency value, the legal status of firearms, and the standard issue sidearms of the police.

As an example, we do not have armed security guards at research institutes, and we certainly don't have apartment buildings with .44 Magnum-toting security guards patting down visitors in Denmark. In fact, I'm having a hard time imagining many First World countries where you have to go through that ordeal, when you want to visit your aunt.

Cheers,

Max
Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #9
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schreck View Post
... The first adventure, while very entertaining and plot-wise one of the best of the campaign, is incredibly poorly researched, however. You might want to do some research yourself on Denmark and Copenhagen for the first scenario, because everything in the book is wrong, from the native names, the currency value, the legal status of firearms, and the standard issue sidearms of the police. ...
Indeed.

The prep work that I did do involved Googling relevant history and dusting off the Chronicle of the 20th Century. It took me a fair while to nail an appropriate start date as well, which isn't mentioned in the scenario but which boils down to a fairly narrow window given the elements of the story relevant to the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Graham
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Poisoned Tea

That's good to know that it's 3e. I'll be buying this pretty soon, then. This seems like an excellent set of adventures to use with the High Tech I got for Christmas. I don't concern myself too much with the facts of the adventure if they're fun (I'm also from a former USSR country, so I'm expecting to notice a few mistakes, but fun is more important than facts in an RPG... my last one had Emperor Norton of San Francisco trying to stop a bank robbery in 1898, 18 years after his death).

Tags
4th edition, endgame, operation, operation endgame