Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #31
ColBosch

Default Re: Bringing Back the Classic Pocket Box

I'd love to see the line actually expand. This might be a way to bring back some older, weird titles.

...yes, I'm talking about Globbo. :D
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #32
Blue Ghost

I was a fan of ADQ, I loved the third party Autoventures addons from Task Force Games back in the day, I think a better tank supp would be welcome, I loved the arenas then and now, the fiction, and just really the overall excellent graphics and good production values for the game.

I don't know about new weapons … unless there's more stuff out there, but I always liked new high quality counters. And by that I mean countes with good car art, not some of the later stuff that seemed to get cranked out quickly. Good smoke, paint, mine and spike counters.

Just good stuff. Again, my personal opinion is that what kept me with CW all these years was the fact that it was well presented, and had solid rules behind it. I think the one rule, if I was ever to nitpick something, that needed to be rewritten (aside from tanks), was the strafing fire rule, or rules for weapons that weren't articulated, and required the driver to maneuver his car to fire them.

I've been told there's some solid RP rules in the newer versions--I've not read those sections. But something that supported the CW RPG, and that didn't use GURPS, I think is something that a lot of us classic CW fans wanted.

So, a reprint of the classic stuff, to me, if it is a forthcoming thing, would be a great opportunity to iron out the remaining kinks and expand on the CW RP thing, which I think would keep the game as is really thriving.

Just my two fanboy bits. As per my post in the Ogre Computer Game section, I've loved Steve Jackson Games, Task Force, Dwarfstar, SPI's small line of ziplock bag games for the variety of worlds that they let you explore and interact with. And Car Wars is exceptionally well written and presented, and I wish it was more popular as is without a newer version. But, that's just my opinion.

I'm just one customer. Whatever happens in the future, I hope CW thrives.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #33
philreed
I do stuff and things.

For those interested in the Pocket Box as a packaging format:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2267512
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #34
steam_bucky

Ahhh the pocket box version. We played that to DEATH and beyond. It was a couple of years before I found there were expansions for it. We just seemed to come up with SOOO many different car designs with what was in the box. It cost me 10 Australian dollars. :)

NOSTALGIA OFF TOPIC - The person who introduced me to car wars with this little pocket box version did not win a single game FOR YEARS but kept on playing it. They loved just playing it with mates. They weren't a bad player...they were always unlucky.
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #35
ColBosch

Ha, I don't think I've ever won a game of Car Wars, either.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam_bucky View Post
NOSTALGIA OFF TOPIC - The person who introduced me to car wars with this little pocket box version did not win a single game FOR YEARS but kept on playing it. They loved just playing it with mates. They weren't a bad player...they were always unlucky.
[rolls up to Point-Blank range]
[fires ATG]
[scores hit]
[rolls damage]
["1", "1", "1"]

That sort of thing? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #37
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
[rolls up to Point-Blank range]
[fires ATG]
[scores hit]
[rolls damage]
["1", "1", "1"]

That sort of thing? :)
My luck was often as per yours but with twin linked ATGs. Roll 2 and 10, only one hit. Roll 1,1,3 damage. Take D2 hazard for firing ATGs. Fail control roll. Spin-out. ;(
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #38
Blue Ghost

Car Wars was (is) actually the one game where I have regular ordinary everyday Joe luck, with the occasional streak of good and bad luck.

Star Fleet Battles, on the other hand … how does that song go? If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote