Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #501
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Matt Riggsby literally turns the genre upside-down by placing the monsters in the starring role. The five-page article features four pages of templates, and the final page is campaign advice. This article really puts the Alternate in Alternate Dungeons. Not only are the starring roles the equivalent of the DC titles that are all from the villains point of view, but making the subterranean lair sensible from the monster's perspective turns things about as well.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #502
DouglasCole

Inspired by the thread on bad sight in melee, I penned a short note on Slightly Bad Vision.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #503
DouglasCole

Mark Langsdorf thinks about giants fighting mecha, and I dust off a concept about reaching the juicy center of targets with penetrating weaponry.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #504
Gigermann

A challenge for Doug: Do a full "Technical Natasha," Technical Grappling+Tactical Shooting write-up for the movie, John Wick. For sanity's sake, you should probably just pick a couple of the best scenes—but the entire movie is worthy.

Obviously, it'll have to wait until it comes out on video, unless you can find some suitable bits on Youtube or something (like this).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #505
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
A challenge for Doug: Do a full "Technical Natasha," Technical Grappling+Tactical Shooting write-up for the movie, John Wick. For sanity's sake, you should probably just pick a couple of the best scenes—but the entire movie is worthy.

Obviously, it'll have to wait until it comes out on video, unless you can find some suitable bits on Youtube or something (like this).
Seconded!

Here is another scene with even more grappling+shooty goodness!

Last edited by TheOneRonin; 11-03-2014 at 12:59 PM.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #506
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
Seconded!

Here is another scene with even more grapping+shooty goodness!
Thirded. Doug. Do this this. Do eet! DO EET NAO! GET IN DA CHOPPA! I mean, GURPSfy the movie.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #507
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Fourthed. I was sitting in the theater thinking "this is so cool, Doug will love it."

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #508
Rigil_Kent

Oh, man, I would love to see something like that.

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #509
HANS

Quote:

Not much Technical Grappling going on, so I feel qualified to step up ;)

Analysis of this short strip yields the following:

Our guy (apparently one John Wick, haven't seen the whole movie yet) carries an H&K P30L -- I've got the exact same gun ;) --, fitted with a comp (Tactical Shooting, p. 76).

0:01 -- He enters the room. He clearly has the Close-Quarters Battle technique (Tactical Shooting, p. 43), moving smoothly, scanning and covering all angles.
0:03 -- He punches Red Shirt #1 with his left hand and simultanously lowers his pistol to the hip -- see Shooting in a Melee (Tactical Shooting, p. 25), fires an Unsighted (Tactical Shooting, p. 13) Double-Tap (Tactical Shooting, p. 15) using Close-Hip Shooting (Tactical Shooting, p. 43).
0:04 -- He takes a Sighted Shot (Tactical Shooting, p. 13) at Red Shirt #2, followed by an Unsighted Behind-the-Back Shot (Tactical Shooting, p. 43) at Red Shirt #3.
0:05 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Red Shirt #3.
0:07 -- His gun arm is grabbed by Red Shirt #4. He strikes with his left to get free.
0:08 -- He takes an Unsighted Close-Hip Shot at Red Shirt #4 and uses a left-handed Judo Throw to bring Red Shirt #4 to the ground.
0:09 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Red Shirt #4.
0:10 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Red Shirt #5.
0:11 -- He punches Red Shirt #5 with his left hand.
0:12 -- He Pistol-Whips Red Shirt #5 -- see Guns as Melee Weapons (Tactical Shooting, p. 26).
0:13 -- He tries to fire, but his pistol clicks. He's either out or has a misfire. We don't know how many shots he had; he's fired only eight shots so far, the P30L holds 15+1 in 9×19mm or 13+1 in .40 S&W, I can't tell from the clip which one he has. Anyway, he ejects the magazine, flipping the pistol for positive ejection (a habit hardwired into savvy Colt and Glock users, but actually not necessary with this model; the H&K P30L uses steel magazines that always drop free).

EDIT: There are actually three different possibilities here: a) he's really out; we don't now what he did earlier. Why did the slide not lock open after the shot at 0:10? The slide locks of the P30L are easy to unintentionally activate in a two-handed grip. b) it's really a misfire. This one is very unlikely, actually, modern centrefire ammo is very reliable. c) my favourite: He rolled an 18 for his Pistol-Whip (Tactical Shooting, p. 26), and his slide is out of battery or something (Of course, he still succeeded with his melee attack, which is counter the wording of Tactical Shooting; however, you need to make contact somehow with the gun to put it out of order. This should probably be an Erratum.) A complete reload rather than Immediate Action is a bit of an overreaction, but works. Note that his reload takes three seconds, standard in GURPS. That's not fast, but it is all right.

0:14 -- He grabs and inserts a new magazine.
0:15 -- He readies the pistol by racking the slide (this is another unnecessary habit learned from other pistols; the H&K P30L automatically closes when the mag is pushed home; it's sound move in case of a misfire, however, as the slide would not stay open, as we've seen here).
0:16 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Red Shirt #5 (this guy sure didn't want to go down ;)
0:18 -- He takes a Sighted Double-Tap at Red Shirt #6.
0:19 -- He takes a Sighted Double-Tap at Red Shirt #7, switching hit locations inbetween.
0:22 -- He takes an Unsighted Behind-the-Back Shot at the foot of Red Shirt #8.
0:23 -- He takes an Unsighted Behind-the-Back Shot at the torso of Red Shirt #8.
0:24 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Red Shirt #8.
0:26 -- He kicks Red Shirt #8 through the door.

Cheers

HANS

Last edited by HANS; 11-04-2014 at 01:27 AM.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #510
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
Here is another scene with even more grappling+shooty goodness!
I'll leave Doug et al to insert the proper Martial Arts mechanics, I would need to look them up . . .

0:07 -- Our guy (John Wick again) inserts a magazine in his H&K P30L.
0:08 -- He readies the pistol by racking the slide.
0:09 -- Jumps at Intruder #1, smashing his arms holding a pistol down.
0:10 -- He punches Intruder #1 with his left arm in the face and grapples him.
0:11 -- He Grapples Intruder #1.
0:12 -- He Slams Intruder #1 into the wall.
0:14 -- He Knee Kicks Intruder #1.
0:16 -- He Judo Throws Intruder #1 over his shoulder.
0:17 -- He pulls Intruder #1 around the room.
0:20 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #2 (I think; it's hard to see at what he actually shoots).
0:22 -- He hits the arm of Intruder #1, breaking it from the sound of it.
0:23 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #1.
0:30 -- He takes a Move and Attack maneuver, obviously using the Close-Quarters Battle technique, and takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #3.
0:31 -- He Grapples Intruder #3, clinging to him while aiming over the man's shoulder.
0:32 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #4, and goes down rolling with Intruder #3.
0:33 -- He Breakfalls and comes up again, following up with a Sighted Shot at Intruder #4.
0:34 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #3.
0:35 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #5.
0:39 -- He Dodges and fires an Unsighted Behind-the-Back Double-Tap through the wall (Tactical Shooting, pp. 28-30) at Intruder #5, who also Dodges. He's out and ejects his magazine (OK, now we know this is just another storytelling device; he just can't be out since we've seen him insert a fresh magazine and he's fired only nine shots; even the .40-calibre pattern of the P30L has at least 13 shots).
0:40 -- He Grapples the gun arm of Intruder #5.
0:41 -- He Pistol-Whips Intruder #5 in the face.
0:42 -- He kicks Intruder #5 in the groin (I think, it's a bit blurry).
0:44 -- He Sacrifice Throws Intruder #5 through the window.
0:46 -- He inserts a magazine and readies his pistol by having the slide snap shut.
0:47 -- He takes a Sighted Shot at Intruder #5.

Cheers

HANS

Last edited by HANS; 11-03-2014 at 03:19 PM.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb