Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
badmudderfugger

Default Re: GURPS Eberron

And last one for tonight, the Zombie Hulks. These things are giant, bloated corpses that have been feeding on their own necrotic flesh for the last six decades; pulling their bloody organs from open wounds in their guts and stuffing them into their gaping mouths.

Oh, and they smell bad...really bad.

Zombie Hulk
Bloated Undead Horror

ST 18 HP 18 Basic Lift 65 Ground Move 4
DX 9 Will 10 Damage 1d+2/3d Water Move 0
IQ 4 Per 10 Basic Speed 4
HT 12 FP 12 Basic Move 4

Offense:
Punch: Attack 13, Reach C, Damage: Thrust 1d6+2 cr
Maul: Attack 13, Parry 9 (cannot attack and parry in same round), Reach 1,2 (takes Ready maneuver to change grip), Damage: Swing 3d6+4
Bite: Attack 13, Reach C, Damage: Thrust 1d6+1 cr
Overpowering Stench: All within 3 hexes must make HT roll of be Nauseated (-2 to attributes and skill checks, -1 to active defenses). Roll HT each round to recover.

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 9

Advantages
Blunt Claws, Overpowering Stench (Area Affliction), Rotting Undead Traits, Single Minded, SM + 1, Unfazeable (exempt from Fright Checks and unaffected by reaction modifiers).

Disadvantages
Rotting Undead Traits

Skills
Brawling 13, Two-Handed Axe/Mace 13, Wrestling 13

Last edited by badmudderfugger; 04-17-2012 at 10:29 PM.
badmudderfugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
badmudderfugger

Quote:
Are the Karnnathi Skulkers supposed to not have Slave Mentality? Your other undead have it, but your description makes it sound like the skulkers have a little bit more initiative to pick out targets. They also seem kind of weak. I realize their movement and sneaking options are helpful, but anyone with DR 4 or better can basically ignore them unless they target unarmored locations, and the penalties for that will mean they're hitting less often. They could eviscerate Norn and Saemar, but Elric, Kettle, Porthos, Ruggin, and Rurik ought to be fairly safe.
Yeah, I intended for the Skulkers to not have Slave Mentality. The Dread Guardians are pretty much mindless zombies, so it fit for them, but the Skulkers were built to operate in enemy territory, so they have to show more initiative.

As for their damage, I'm still getting the hang of what my PCs can handle, so if these things don't prove to be the threat I want them to be, I'll bump up their stats. For now, I'm more concerned with accidentally killing accidentally the guys. That said, they were pretty damn tough last session and I am giving them each 4 healing potions, so maybe I should bump the damage up and really make them sweat. How durable have you found your PCs in your games Wildcat?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmudderfugger View Post
As for their damage, I'm still getting the hang of what my PCs can handle, so if these things don't prove to be the threat I want them to be, I'll bump up their stats. For now, I'm more concerned with accidentally killing accidentally the guys. That said, they were pretty damn tough last session and I am giving them each 4 healing potions, so maybe I should bump the damage up and really make them sweat. How durable have you found your PCs in your games Wildcat?
I haven't actually had a chance to run a game (or even play) GURPS yet, unfortunately. And I don't know when I will. So for now, it's mostly thought exercises.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
Jürgen Hubert

There is always my old GURPS Eberron Conversion, which I did with the help of some folks here on the forums. Today I would probably do a few things differently...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
There is always my old GURPS Eberron Conversion, which I did with the help of some folks here on the forums. Today I would probably do a few things differently...
I'm happy to see something like this has already been done. But it seems like too much of a direct conversion for my taste, especially the racial templates, rather than the spirit of the setting. And, yowsa! A lot of those racial templates are really expensive. Even playing a Goblin costs more than playing a Human.

I like the system for the Dragonmark powers, though. Having the talent apply to the powers and the mark-related skills is a nice touch.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
badmudderfugger

One of the main threats of the Karrnathi Necorlab is an Iron Dragon driven mad by a corrupted Dragonmark that appeared in the bowels of the lab (the dragon had originally come to the lab to witness the emergence of the Dragonmark, which had been forseen as part of the Draconic Prophecy).

The encounter with him takes place in a huge chamber used to store Karnnathi zombies in giant alchemical vats hung like pearls on a chain. Vylymax opens the encounter using his Sound spells to spook the guys, alternating between Silence, Thunderclap, Voice and Blackout.

Once the guys are suitably freaked out, Vylymax starts cutting the chains holding the vats, forcing the guys to make Perception checks to hear the sound of snapping chains followed by Dodge checks to dive out of the way (or take 2d6 cr). Once the vats hit the groud, a three hex mob of zombies spills out.

Once this gets boring (or once the guys get too banged up), Vylymax flies down to engage them.

Vylymax
Mad Iron Dragon

ST 20 HP 25 Basic Lift 80 Ground Move 10
DX 11 Will 11 Damage 2d-1/3d+2 Water Move 2
IQ 14 Per 13 Basic Speed 5 Fly Move 20
HT 13 FP 20 Basic Move 10

Offense:
Claw: Attack 16, Parry 12 Reach C,1, Damage: Thrust 2d6-1 cut
Two Claws: Attack 14, Reach C,1, Damage: Thrust 2d6-1 cut each
Bite: Attack 16, Reach C,1,2, Damage: Thrust 2d6-2 cut
Tail Sweep: Attack 16, Reach 2, Damage: 2d6+1 cr
Wing Buffett: Damage: 2d6 knockback only, cone range 5, width 5
Lightning Breath (Jet): Attack 16, Acc 3, Range 50/100, 2d6 lightning (target makes HT roll at -1 per 2 HP suffered or stunned, make HT roll each turn thereafter to recover; Metal armor only grants DR 1 against this; costs 2 FP).
Lightning Breath (Cone): Attack 16, Range 8, Width 4, 1d6 lightning (target makes HT roll at -1 per 2 HP suffered or stunned, make HT roll each turn thereafter to recover; Metal armor only grants DR 1 against this, costs 2 FP).

Defense:
Iron Scales: DR 4
Dodge 11, Parry 12

Social Background
Cultural Familiarities: Argonnessen (Native).
Languages: Common (Native), Draconic (Native).

Advantages
Combat Reflexes (+6 on all IQ rolls to wake up or recover from surprise), Dark Vision, DR 4, Extra Attack, Extra Legs (Four Legs), Flight, Lightning Breath (Jet and Cone), Magery 3, Metabolism Control 2, Nictating Membrane 2, Sharp Claws, Sharp Teeth, SM +1, Tail Sweep, Unaging, Wing Buffet.

Disadvantages
Horizontal, No Fine Manipulators, Social Stigma (Monster)

Skills & Techniques
Brawling 16, Innate Attack (Lightning Breath) 16, Stealth 15, Dual Claw 14

Spells
Blackout 20, Hush 20, Noise 20, Silence 20, Thunderclap 20, Voice 20

Last edited by badmudderfugger; 04-21-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #27
badmudderfugger

The other main challenge in the Karrnath Necrolab is Count Venir ir'Omik, who used to run the facility. In the decades since the lab was sealed off, Count ir'Omik's has transformed himself into an unliving brain in a jar.

Count Venir ir’Omik
Insane Necromantic Genius Disembodied Brain

ST 0 HP 15 Basic Lift 0 Ground Move 0
DX 11 Will 14 Damage 0/0 Water Move 0
IQ 16 Per 12 Basic Speed 6 Fly Move 10
HT 13 FP 20 Basic Move 0

Offense:
Thunderwave: Range 8, Width 4, Damage: 4d6 knockback only, cone range 5, width 5, targets roll HT or be stunned, costs 1 FP
Fire Cloud: Damage: 3 points, Area 4 (creatures also catch fire, doing 1d6-4 damage per second, and -2 DX unless the damage simply cannot harm the target; takes DX roll and Ready maneuver to put fire out), costs 1 FP
Steam Jet: Attack 15, Range 25/50, 2d6-2 scalding damage, double knockback, targets roll HT or target is blinded for one second and blurry vision (-3 to combat skills). Target has eyes closed for one second on successful HT save. Can be Blocked with medium or larger shield and Dodged. Costs 1 FP

Defense:
Hardened Brainjar Casing: DR 2
Dodge 11

Social Background
Cultural Familiarities: Karrnath (Native).
Languages: Common (Native), Draconic (Native).

Advantages
Dark Vision, Detect (Sentient Minds; ESP, Precise), Fire Cloud, High Pain Threshold, Magery 4, Mind Reading (Telepathic, Universal), Rotting Undead Traits, Steam Jet, Telesend (Broadcast, Telepathic, Universal), Thunderwave, Unfazeable (exempt from Fright Checks and unaffected by reaction modifiers).

Disadvantages
Rotting Undead Traits

Skills & Techniques
Alchemy 18, Innate Attack (Projectile) 15, Occultism 18, Philosophy 18, Research 18, Writing 16

Spells
Charm 20, Complex Illusion 20, Illusion Disguise 20, Deflect Energy 20, Deflect Projectile 20, Invisibility 20, Voice 20
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
For the warforged, I would say Immune to Metabolic Hazards, IT: No Blood, DR 3, Striking Surface and No Sense of Smell/Taste were the core warforged traits.
What about Doesn't Sleep, Doesn't Eat and Doesn't Breathe? The Warforged's ability to ignore sleep and water hazards especially came up a lot when I ran it in D&D. Also they were immune to fatigue in the orginal, which ItMH doesn't give you. They should also be Unliving. I keep going back and forth between Machine or just Unliving and Indefatigable. Machine would mean they don't have FP which might be a problem depending on how you work magic.
Quote:
Skills & Spells
Freeze Limb (as Spasm) 15, Flaming Weapon 15, Necrotic Blast (as Lightning) 15.
Speaking of which it looks like you are using the GURPS Magic system, yes?

I was musing the other day that it might be interesting to make a list of the elements of the magic system that are integral to the setting: Dragonshards, Dragonmarks, Planar Manifestation, Elemental Binding, Artificers and so on and try to come up with magic systems from first principles that fit those elements. I'm not much farther along than that, although the Planes do look like good Realms, maybe.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
badmudderfugger

Quote:
What about Doesn't Sleep, Doesn't Eat and Doesn't Breathe? The Warforged's ability to ignore sleep and water hazards especially came up a lot when I ran it in D&D. Also they were immune to fatigue in the orginal, which ItMH doesn't give you. They should also be Unliving.
That's something that dawned on me this weekend, as I was prepping for our next session (although I hadn't thought of including IT:Unliving). I'm going to include those in Kettle's build, but it bumps his cost up by 70 and I'd hate to nerf any of his other abilities, so I guess he's just gonna have to cost more than the others.

Edit: Made those changes and reduced DR by 1.

Last edited by badmudderfugger; 04-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.