Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
laurapius

Default Leech Bomb

Alright, I've read that the Leech Bomb was problematic, but this is ridiculous.

My husband, my son, my stepson, and I were playing Star Munchkin (only, not combined with any other Munchkin game).

Three players at the table were level 9. I drew a face-up monster card after kicking open a door. My husband, immediately to my left and the next player to go after my turn, threw a Time Warp card. It then immediately became his turn, and he had more than enough levels to beat the monster and win the game.

My son, also level 9, then threw a Leech Bomb, thus dispatching the monster and racking a kill.

Problem is, we can't figure out who gets the credit for the kill: my husband, or my son.

My husband didn't ask for help in the combat. It was the general consensus that since my husband was level 9, and the monster disappeared--and according to the card, the Leech Bomb counts as a kill--that my husband gets the kill and wins the game.

However, my son opined that since he threw the Leech Bomb, that he gets the kill and wins the game, even though my husband explicitly didn't invite him to the combat.

We argued loudly about it for hours, just like the rules said. But we still couldn't come to an iron-clad decision.

What do you all think?
laurapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
That_Pasquale

Default Re: Leech Bomb

I don't have the cards directly in front of me, but if leech bomb does count as a kill then it would be your husband's level to gain.

Any player, in this case your son, may play monster enhancers, one shot items or any other card legal to do so into any combat, but that does not make them a part of the combat. The only way to do that is if the munchkin who's combat it is does not have sufficient combat strength to win on his/her own and asks for/receives help from one other munchkin. Anything else is interference for or against the munchkin(s) in the combat.
That_Pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
SmokeRulz

That_Pasquale is correct. Although, it's worth noting that even if your son was an established helper in the combat, your husband would have still got the level for the kill, because it was HIS turn and HIS combat. The Leech Bomb card itself would have to say that he steals the kill, but it doesn't. So your son inadvertedly helped your husband win the game.

One problem, though: Time Warp doesn't do anything of the sort. Are you sure you named the right card? I haven't played Star Munchkin in ages so I don't remember if there's a card that lets you outright steal someone's turn/combat.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it. You actually meant Paradox In A Box, right?
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1

Last edited by SmokeRulz; 03-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
laurapius

Sorry SmokeRulez. My husband actually played Paradox in a Box...
Paradox in a Box:
Play when someone has just opened a door and turned over a Door card. It is now the turn of the player you choose - he is the one who turned over the card. After his turn, play then proceeds to the next player. Yes, this can give you two turns in a row. Usable once only; put this card on the bottom of the discards.
...and thus assigned the turn to himself. I was in a hurry when I typed out the question. :-)

Thanks for helping clear this up for us, gang!

Last edited by laurapius; 03-27-2011 at 08:45 AM.
laurapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
zelite

Hi,

I have the same question as laurapius, and since the question was not answered yet, i'm posting here, hoping for clarification.

So, I was playing muncking + star munchkin.

Player E. opens a door and faces a monster and doesn't ask for help.
Player J. who is at level 9 uses leech bomb and declares victory, since, according to his/her interpretation the leech bomb counts as a kill for him/her, since he/she was the one playing the card.

I feel he/she shouldn't get to win like that, because it isn't his/her fight, but maybe that's the munchkinly way :p
zelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
MIB 9966

The kill would still go to the player who is the main fighter (Player E). The fight was not reassigned to Player J, so J would not be able to declare victory.
MIB 9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 9966 View Post
The kill would still go to the player who is the main fighter (Player E). The fight was not reassigned to Player J, so J would not be able to declare victory.
Yup. You can't claim victory from a fight you're not in unless a card played specifically says otherwise.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endgame, leech bomb, time warp, winning level