Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
whassumattuh

Default Rod of Lardly Meat

The Rod of Lardly Meat allows you to discard the card in order to attempt to re-roll a failed Run Away attempt.

Can you play the card directly from your hand after a failed Run Away attempt? If not, can you play the card after a failed Run Away attempt if you are merely carrying the item and not using the item? Thanks!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Rod of Lardly Meat

Well it's not a one-use item like those that can be played from your hand by the rules, so I'd imagine it needs to be in play, but not necessarily equipped. This is just a guess, though.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Kirt

Andrew has said that cards which may be used only once are considered "one-shot items" even if they do not say "usable once only" on them. (here)

He has furthermore said that cards that count as one-shot items can be played from the hand, even if they do not say "usable once only," here.

To me, the Rod of Lardly Meat has two uses. One, permanent, use is to provide a bonus in combat.
The other use is for an automatic run-away. In order to activate the second use, you must discard the card.
To me, this makes the card into a one-shot item which may be played from the hand.

Thus, I would say that you could not play the Rod from your hand to give a combat bonus, but you could play it from your hand to permit escape.

While I think this is a valid extension of Andrew's logic, it is not an actual ruling by him, so you would need to wait on official word.
AFAIK, he has not addressed the issue of cards that have two uses, one as a one-shot and another not.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirt View Post
Andrew has said that cards which may be used only once are considered "one-shot items" even if they do not say "usable once only" on them. (here)
He said that one specific card was an exception, and since it is clearly meant to to be a one-shot Item, that it should be viewed as such. So, no, I don't agree with your extrapolation (especially since this card seems to be not so different than Rat on a Stick, which must be in play in order to be discarded to escape a Level 8 Monster) and that's going to have to suffice as an official statement until Andrew and I have a chance to discuss this.

Quote:
He has furthermore said that cards that count as one-shot items can be played from the hand, even if they do not say "usable once only," here.
I'm not sure where you're reading that because I don't see it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
whassumattuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
So, no, I don't agree with your extrapolation (especially since this card seems to be not so different than Rat on a Stick, which must be in play in order to be discarded to escape a Level 8 Monster) and that's going to have to suffice as an official statement until Andrew and I have a chance to discuss this.
MunchkinMan, thanks for your reply. I understand that the Rod of Lardly Meat may not be played from a player's hand in order to activate a second attempt to Run Away. Must it be currently used or can it just be carried? Or is this what you and Andrew have to discuss prior to giving an official answer? Thanks!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
bonetm

Thr new printing (2010 onwards) version of the card says cleary that yoy must be carrying, bbut not necesserely wearing it
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote