Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #21
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Further Up the Spire - GURPS blog

I cheated and made up a new rule - basically you can't reduce the FP cost and can't start to recover the FP until the spell expires. So you can maintain it all day, but you have to go all day with less FP for other purposes.

Jevicca's Floating Disk
Regular (Movement)
Creates a slightly concave, circular plane of force that follows the caster about and carries loads. The disk is one yard in diameter and 1 inch deep at its center. If used to transport a liquid, its capacity is two gallons. The disk floats approximately one yard above the ground and remains level at all times. By concentrating, the caster can move it around within ten yards at Move 3. If not otherwise directed, it moves to follow while maintaining a constant distance. The disk will not stop fast movement or willful force, and overloading will make it dip towards the floor. Is disappears if it is ever more than ten yards away from the caster, more than a yard from the ground, or its duration expires.
Duration: 1 hour. Does not count as a spell "on".
Cost: 1 per 80 pounds, committed.
Time to cast: 2 seconds.
Prerequisite: Apportation.

(Copyright notice: some of the description may be modified SRD text or one of its derivates, I'm not sure how completely I rewrote it)
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #22
ArchonShiva

Habitat Talents, for making a race better at thriving where they thrive. I'd love feedback on these.

Also, my GURPS templates for Ptolus races.

GURPS Conversions: Races and Habitat Talents
Old 01-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #23
dripton

I think your Talents are good.

I think your dwarven Night Vision is a bit too fiddly, with its levels that are each equal to 2 levels of the basic advantage, to avoid needing half-points. If you make the cost 2/level rather than 2.5/level, it's a lot simpler. (Also a bit cheaper, of course, but I don't see lots of PCs taking Night Vision even at 1/level.)
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Your 'Racial Talents' look an awful terribly lot like 'Higher Purpose'. Yes, the fluff is quite different, but in terms of the conditions for the bonus and the way the bonus works, its almost exactly what they are. The RPM traditions are higher purposes in this vein.

I also like them. The 'call of the wild' may be a little broad, but the other two look solid.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #25
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
I think your Talents are good.

I think your dwarven Night Vision is a bit too fiddly, with its levels that are each equal to 2 levels of the basic advantage, to avoid needing half-points. If you make the cost 2/level rather than 2.5/level, it's a lot simpler. (Also a bit cheaper, of course, but I don't see lots of PCs taking Night Vision even at 1/level.)
I didn't really think to address that, they're due to other house rules.

Basically darkness conditions go in steps -1/-3/-5/-7/-9 (-10), so +2 ignores exactly one illumination level, and there is no such thing as +1. This is a racial ability, and Night Vision isn't widely available in the campaign.

Since the game revolves (somewhat) around exploring dungeons, and there aren't otherwise any standard, inexpensive ways to ignore those penalties, it's actually a decent deal. On the other hand, as I've said in the post, I keep finding excuses to light dungeons and caverns so PCs without it aren't always in trouble.

Peak PC combat skill is currently at 15, so that -2 really shows.

I find that if Night Vision is both needed and accessible, it becomes a game where Darkness effectively stops existing, and I don't like losing dramatic tools with no corresponding gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Your 'Racial Talents' look an awful terribly lot like 'Higher Purpose'. Yes, the fluff is quite different, but in terms of the conditions for the bonus and the way the bonus works, its almost exactly what they are. The RPM traditions are higher purposes in this vein.

I also like them. The 'call of the wild' may be a little broad, but the other two look solid.
I actually did consider using Higher Purpose, but I just despise the name and associated flavour for more mundane uses. They're also better defined, as HP is usually a bonus to everything related to it.

Call of the Wild is broad because it's a racial ability for campaign-specific race in a campaign that takes place within a huge city and underlying dungeons. It's got to kick in every time they go outside, or it never will. (Funny story: in twenty-four sessions, it happened once, and the player missed the session)
Old 02-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #26
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I packed the Speed/Range Table with lots of stuff for each size modifier, like weight, ST, HP and equivalent D&D size category.

Check it out, and feel free to suggest additional info.
Dead link.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
ArchonShiva

My first entry into Melee Academy, about stuff to do before a fight starts:
Melee Academy: Pre-Fight Moves

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Dead link.
Thanks, forgot I had linked directly to it.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #28
ArchonShiva

New Cleric spells for d20/Ptolus.

A few iconic d20/Ptolus spells adapted for GURPS.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
Joe

Two thoughts.

1) I love your session reports. You get such great use out of props, food, and fun narrative techniques like shifting perspective, flashbacks, etc. I find all that stuff very inspiring - it makes me want to jazz up my own sessions in the same way.

2) I often want to comment on the blog to say more specific versions of what I just said, in connection with whatever tricks you pull each session - but I somehow find myself unable to work out how to do so. Is this just my incompetence? Very possibly. If so, I'd appreciate some advice as to how to get my comments to stick. Maybe (maybe) you need to do more to enable comments at your end? Assuming you want them, which might well not be the case...

Anyway, very much enjoying the blog.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #30
ArchonShiva

Thanks for the heads up!

I have been having trouble with comments, and for months I only ever got spam, so I added some restrictions, which apparently combined to shut them down completely, despite looking like they'd work.

Please try again, and poke me here if it doesn't work. I'll see how the spam goes.

Tags
blog, blogs