Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #41
ammulder

Default Re: Collected Car Wars Classic Errata

OK. Is there a particular place to propose or track clarifications, or should we just assume it's been taken care of when you take notice of such a thing in the forums here?
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #42
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
OK. Is there a particular place to propose or track clarifications, or should we just assume it's been taken care of when you take notice of such a thing in the forums here?
Clarifications was one of the items I envisioned the unofficial Errata List thread I started to include. I haven't updated it in awhile as there seemed to be little interest in the project. However if you're interested in having a spot for clarifications I can start doing updates to it.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #43
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The ATG and the ramplate stand out as the big two items of equipment where Classic doesn't agree with UACFH and the Compendium.

If they were classed as errata (for either Classic or the other products), I think the rules would be back in sync with one another.

I'd concur that the ATG is an editing oversight that should have the hazard mentioned.

The ramplate is a case where the rules changed after the small box was printed. Classic was reprinted from the earlier small box rather than with the updated stats. FWIW, I'm in favor of that being classed as an editing issue as well and the stats from UACFH being used. However, I can see some justification in going with the Classic description too.
This has been up for awhile at this point. I think the concurrence is that the ATG and ram plate are both errata items, but as this got buried by other comments, I thought I'd better give one last chance to voice your opinion otherwise.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #44
Magesmiley

So, the T-Stop, there was another thread discussing how to clean it up. That discussion identified some definite errata in Classic - specifically the speed limitation (which shouldn't be there) and the omission that cycles can't do T-Stops. There's also the text indicating the difficulty of the maneuver is based on the deceleration, and to roll at the start of the maneuver, at which point you haven't yet decelerated. And finally, there's also some screwy text about increasing the crash table result for the control roll based on your deceleration that should only apply to additional control rolls while doing a T-Stop (and not the original one).

There's two options, make 3-4 sentence edits or just replace the text of the maneuver. I'm inclined to think the second option is clearer. And if we're doing that it also makes sense to get the clarifications in there too.

So here's the proposed errata for the T-Stop:

Page 13, T-Stop. Replace the maneuver description with the following:

This is an extreme maneuver used for emergency deceleration. It consists of rotating your car 90° to either side and moving forward one inch – identical to beginning a roll. The car then continues skidding sideways 1" per move until it slows to a halt. See Figure 7
The vehicle decelerates 20 mph per inch of movement. Each tire will take 1 point of damage after each move. The difficulty of this maneuver is D1 for every 10 mph (or fraction) of vehicle speed when initiating the maneuver and the control roll is made after the first move.
If a subsequent control roll is missed while performing a T-Stop (such as due to a hazard), add 1 to the Crash Table roll for every 20 mph (or fraction thereof) of deceleration completed – in addition to the regular speed modifier on the Control Table. Once a vehicle starts a T-Stop, it can’t fire aimed weapons. Cycles cannot try this maneuver.

Last edited by Magesmiley; 09-18-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: More cleanup based on private feedback.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #45
Ogre_

I was looking through the pdf of Car Wars Classic that was recently put up. I noticed that on page 54, in the section about reversed trikes it has a note that "maximum HC is still 3". I couldn't find any other reference to an HC cap. The suspension table for cars also has Subcompacts going up to HC 4, indicating the note is wrong instead of just missing in other places.
Ogre_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #46
Chris Goodwin

From the thread talking about the Classic PDF:

Quote:
Did any of the errata make it into this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdharing View Post
No, there were no editorial changes.
So it's not surprising.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #47
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_ View Post
I was looking through the pdf of Car Wars Classic that was recently put up. I noticed that on page 54, in the section about reversed trikes it has a note that "maximum HC is still 3". I couldn't find any other reference to an HC cap. The suspension table for cars also has Subcompacts going up to HC 4, indicating the note is wrong instead of just missing in other places.
Yep, that's a carryover from older editions of the game. I've added it to the list.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #48
Magesmiley

Quote:
Errata reported, but not yet confirmed

Page 13, T-Stop. Replace the maneuver description with the following:
This is an extreme maneuver used for emergency deceleration. It consists of rotating your car 90° to either side and moving forward one inch – identical to beginning a roll. The car then continues skidding sideways 1" per move until it slows to a halt. See Figure 7
The vehicle decelerates 20 mph per inch of movement. Each tire will take 1 point of damage after each move. The difficulty of this maneuver is D1 for every 10 mph (or fraction) of vehicle speed when initiating the maneuver and the control roll is made after the first move.
If a subsequent control roll is missed while performing a T-Stop (such as due to a hazard), add 1 to the Crash Table roll for every 20 mph (or fraction thereof) of deceleration completed – in addition to the regular speed modifier on the Control Table. Once a vehicle starts a T-Stop, it can’t fire aimed weapons. Cycles cannot try this maneuver.

Page 54, Reversed Trikes: Strike "(maximum HC is still 3)" from the fourth sentence.

Page 55, Large-Bore Projectile Weapons, Anti-Tank Gun: Add the following to the end of the description:
Cars may mount ATGs to the front or back at no penalty. They may mount them on the sides, however, the vehicle will suffer a D1 hazard for each ATG fired in a phase if the weapon is side-mounted. Trikes mounting an ATG to the front or rear will suffer a D1 hazard for each ATG fired, and a D2 hazard for each side-mounted ATG fired, even if the side-mounted weapon is firing into the front arc of the trike.

Page 57, Offense, Ramplate: Replace the sentence beginning “When in a collision involving a ramplate…” with the following:
When in a collision involving a ramplate, roll the appropriate number of die, adding 2 points per die to the rammed target and subtracting 1 point per die (minimum damage 1 point per die) from the rammer’s collision damage. Two ramplate-equipped vehicles meeting in a head-on collision will each take +1 per die of collision damage.
Got a PM from Scott saying to go ahead an move these to the confirmed section of the errata list.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #49
Racer

Ah just noticed this: Clarification is need on Trike's weapon mounting, in that Left & Right weapons now need to be Smartlinked rather than just Linked to be aimed into Front arc effectively. The errata can easily be added to Arcs of Fire paragraph of the 'Trike Combat' section.

I don't think the Blast master in the Stock Vehicles List reflects this, but design stats are flawed/incorrect anyway?

The Weasel Medium Patrol Trike, in the Military Vehicle Guide, has L+R Smartlinked RLs - but that's about the only correct stat in it's design ... !

Last edited by Racer; 12-03-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #50
LokRobster

Quote:
Got a PM from Scott saying to go ahead an move these to the confirmed section of the errata list.
This "Collected Errata from Classic" list is fantastic. I'm particularly pleased with the ramplate clarification. No more "but it says 2x damage in the recent print!" complaints. I'm appending a page with all of this to the end of my personal pdf...

Tags
car wars classic, errata rules