Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
ColBosch

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Hmm. I don't know about a naval Ogre game at the same scale as the land game. I would be interested to see if SJ and crew could work up a futuristic sea warfare game that has its own distinct "feel" yet plays as quickly.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #22
Shostak

I like the sound of Battlesuit with minis or action figures, and will second Pocket GEV.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #23
Cat

I was an early advocate for neoprene mats during Minis KS 1, but will bow to the reality that extremely high cost would make that a hard reality to achieve. (And expensive shipping costs too, about 43 pounds of beige cloth covered 4' x 7' neoprene mats just landed on my doorstep today so I can paint my own!)

A different, and more realistic path, would be for SJG to do a license deal with an established mat maker. Cigar Box Mats for instance are a superb quality and they have done some licensed images for other games. They could print the image with or without hex grids. If there was extra room on one of their "4' x 6' plus" mats, terrain overlays could be printed along one side that could be cut out. [I have no connection with the company, just a very happy customer.]
http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/products

New maps would be quite welcome, but for the love of mercy, please make any new maps fully geomorphic with each other!

A Battlesuit game with minis would be awesome if the mechanics are kept as streamlined as Ogre. Something like BattleTech's CityTech in the Ogreverse.

A Pocket Edition GEV would be nice.

A Travel Edition original Ogre would be stunning! Box that folds out with a plastic map with holes in each hex, and tiny pieces with pegs that fit into them. Like Travel Edition Catan, that would be irresistibly cute!
:3

Last edited by Cat; 06-13-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
jfleisher

The rest of the miniatures in plastic, I mean everything.

Killing Zone

Ogrezine #2+

Macrotures

A 3d version of the Ogre computer game.

Regular, sponsored Ogre tournaments at the major conventions, with rankings. Kind of like ADB used to do with Star Fleet Battles.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
Tim Kauffman

OGREzine as a yearly published zine. Anything more frequent, I fear would compromise the quality and content. The more time able to submit stuff, and compile the zine the better. The more stuff being held before publishing like articles, and artwork the better a library to select from to craft a better zine for example.

A companion Rules set that compiles more example driven rules that would be more descriptive of how certain rules work in the game. It would be cross-referenced to the official rules. The "official rules lawyer version", but written in a language everyone can easily understand and grasp. Basically rules clarifications like we see asked here in the forums. OGRE may be a "Beer and Pretzels" game, but I would argue it's a sophisticated one and I think many would benefit greatly from such companion rules. We could have a on-the-fly WorkInProgress somewhere here people can contribute to and iterate into a final useful companion to the rules. It would be a one-stop answer to any questions regarding OGRE rules, including edge case stuff, ect.

ASSAULT PACKS complete with actual chipboard units, in particular, RANGERS. It's great they have surfaced in OGREzine 1st edition, but nothing beats those chipboard units for great looking, affordable, full color out-of-the-box ready playability.

A complete set of OGRE unit Record Cards like are included in 6th edition, the Paneuro colored ones. We need Combine Red also! That was a bit of a disappointment all that were in the box were for the Peans.

A complete set of Combine Red and Paneuropean Blue and VATICAN GUARD Flat Ogres. These would come in very handy when having to stack OGREs or for those who just prefer them over the 3D ones. Have one side Combine Red and the other Paneuropean Blue. The VATICAN GUARD could be on one side and maybe NIGHTFALL Black on the other.

A supplement with chipboard Structures and Buildings about Fortifications and Structure and Emplaced Weapons for example. Chipboard Emplaced Weapons https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57670096487948 would be awesome to create your own from chipboard Sturctures. (Single and Double Secondary Battery, Single and Double Main Battery). We see a peak into this in largely unexplored area in OGREzine1 where Steve mentions UNDERGROUND COMBAT.

A VATICAN GUARD FENCER. The new peak at the chipboard DOPP looks awesome!

A new Terrain called MARSH with chipboard overlays. Discussed here, and not forgotten:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=154627

New Faction D6 for NIHON, NIGHTFALL and VATICAN GUARD:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57685954428302

GIANT OGRE D6. Just like those big beautiful ones we have only BIG.

Last but not least, a plush MARK5. Combine Red and Paneuropean Blue. Seriously. But they would have to look really cool, nothing cheap or cheesy. Cute, but deadly.

As an aside, the ability to play people online in Scenarios created in the Scenario Creator in the OGRE game on STEAM.

A fully implemented and fully functioning Scenario Creator with no bugs. I will say again, it could be (and should be) the heartbeat of OGRE.

Make a free version people can use only to make maps and set up force compositions and post on STEAM, but no play unless the game is purchased. This would be a tool everyone can enjoy at it's basic level that would translate into using the maps for tabletop games. The ability to make custom maps using this would be a boon to OGRE the likes of which has never been seen before. Then take it to the next level and have it able to do player vs player in these published scenarios.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 06-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #26
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Hmm. I don't know about a naval Ogre game at the same scale as the land game. I would be interested to see if SJ and crew could work up a futuristic sea warfare game that has its own distinct "feel" yet plays as quickly.
Littoral combat may be easier to expand on. We've already got some of the pieces with marines and GEVs. Any blue-water game should extend from there.

The bit I think would be hard to get into a game would be depth underwater. Ogre terrain has two depths (three if there's a river bridge), and only one unit - marines - that gets to change depth.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Littoral combat may be easier to expand on. We've already got some of the pieces with marines and GEVs. Any blue-water game should extend from there.

The bit I think would be hard to get into a game would be depth underwater. Ogre terrain has two depths (three if there's a river bridge), and only one unit - marines - that gets to change depth.
Would we need to? There's already a lot of handwavium at play for land battles. All munitions are reasonably intelligent ballistic-arc weapons specifically so line of sight isn't a problem [unless you're playing Minis or with Lasers, 'cuz it's a little hard to lob light].

With smart munitions, and sufficiently-advanced computer tech, would really only need 2 depths, maybe 3: On the surface, deep enough to affect surface munitions (Ogre submerged), and deep enough to need some sort of detection roll.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #28
ColBosch

I don't know if we'd even need the third. That would have to be REALLY deep, like "can't plausibly have an effect on the game" deep.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #29
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I don't know if we'd even need the third. That would have to be REALLY deep, like "can't plausibly have an effect on the game" deep.
I'm wishy-washy on it...the questions of elegance vs practicality vs tactical usefulness. The detection stuff came from reading some of Steve's thoughts in...The Ogre Book, maybe?

Could also be presented as "Shots work as normal", "Ballistic weapons take a penalty (the defense bonus for submerged Marines, etc)", and "Torpedoes / Depth Charges / Etc only".

But I'm not 100% sold on it needing to be there. It mainly just a thought for "How to make open-water combat varied enough to be interesting, without losing Ogre's elegance".
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #30
sparky00

Just remember - you asked for it ;-}

What I really need:
  • More time to play ogre
  • More opponents to play Ogre with (expand the base!)
  • A memorable streak of 6's to offset those inconvenient runs of 1's
  • More skills to paint my Ogre minis better & faster- it will be 2087 by the time I get them done, at current rates.

Things I'd like:

I'll definitely support all the items announced thus far, and am looking forward to Battlefields, Nightfall, Mk VI KS, etc. These represent a tremendous amount of play potential.

Miniatures: the plastic minis look just great, and are a fantastic value. Ultimately, i'd like to see ALL the past metal minis offered in plastic, or some other format (I want the laser tower, reinforced CP & jamscreen minis, OK). A line of additional structures would be really cool too. Even cardstock ones.

Maps: With ODE, O6E, all the overlays and the upcoming Battlefields, we have an extremely powerful & flexible map system, that I haven't even begun to fully utilize the potential of yet. OgreMap 2.0 expands that even further - I have a beautiful OgreMap Icepick map hanging on my wall that I haven't even had time to play on yet. That said, i love maps and cannot get enough of them. The mapboards from ODE & O6E are just wonderful to unfold & use. Their weight and quality give the game a an excellent feel. And they dont destroy entire armies with the tiniest breeze the way the original 1/2" paper maps did. Speaking of paper maps, I can't wait to see the Battle Box poster map. I have high hopes for it. If it plays well, it may be a possibility for some of the future maps I'd like to see - Icepick, Hong Kong, Big Lake, etc. I'll buy any of the thick, heavy mapboards you care to make.

I like the concept of the reskins ( working on a Hot Rod Mk V currently. Hope to be done next week). I hope they eventually materialize. I also like & use the stream overlays. I may be the only one...

Dice: I cannot get enough of the excellent, 19 mm Ogre dice. I'd definitely go for additional dice for different factions - B&W omega dice for Nightfall, colored dice for Nihon, VG, SoON, etc.

There have been a number of "unofficial" city scenarios using satellite maps, OgreMap, etc over the years. I've make 3 trips to Hong Kong in the past 10 months, and this, along with the "Battle Box" has me thinking. What about a "Bottle Box - Hong Kong" set? Map, Scenarios, counters/minis, dice- the works. It has potential - naval involvement, "Open City" damage limitations, multiple faction possibility (Nihon v. China, NAC marines & SoON heavy armor v. Nihon, MGEV bombardment of coastal defenses, factories, etc).

There were a surprising number of requests for Ogrethulhu during the last KS. I believe this could work with the Battle Box concept as well - map, scenarios, minis (Mk V, spawn & set 1 in custom colors) & dice. This would make the cool-but-not-terribly-useful ogrethulhu minis useful. Maybe a 1-time-only reissue of the metal mk V & spawn in the set, vs custom color set 1 minis.

The same "complete box" approach could be used for other theaters as well - Israel, Brazil, etc. It worked for that "Axles & Anchovies" game...

Ogre has a simple, stable & mature ruleset, with accessible, fast & fun gameplay. These are adaptable to a wide variety of scenarios & circumstances, using both Hex/ counter & miniature systems.

I'll support just about anything that comes out for Ogre, but we need to hit some "sweet spots" that will draw new players into the game. The worst thing about Ogre is that the base of players is too small. Its a great system and deserves a bigger base.

Last edited by sparky00; 06-14-2018 at 04:55 AM.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote