Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
BeniJmnz

Default Can i use "Cheat!" in a battle?

I suppose that this type of cards (i don't know if they have name), can be used in a middle of any battle.

But this one, i don't know if i can use in a battle, and take an object from my bag to increase my bonus in battle. Can i use "Cheat!" in a battle?

Another similar question: can i use "Hireling" in a battle? it is similar to the other question, but in this case, hireling has +1 bonus and i can use him to run away too. Can i play it? can i add a weapon to him if i in middle of a battle?
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Can i use "Cheat!" in a battle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
Can i use "Cheat!" in a battle?
Yes, but only to make an already-equipped Item legal (or, I suppose, to use a Class/Race-limited one-shot, but that seems like a waste of a Cheat! card). You can't use Cheat! to equip a new item during combat.

Quote:
Another similar question: can i use "Hireling" in a battle? it is similar to the other question, but in this case, hireling has +1 bonus and i can use him to run away too. Can i play it? can i add a weapon to him if i in middle of a battle?
You cannot play Hireling during a combat and you can't add an Item to an already-played Hireling.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
BeniJmnz

For your explanation, i undersand that i could use Cheat! to add an equipped item to this one. Then, i could discard a class or race and i didn't lose that bonus, isn't it?

If it is true, i have another question. could i use cheat! to avoid to loose an equipped item?
For example, if someone send me a curse to loose or change a class, i could loose the bonus of an item that only could use that class. Could i use Cheat! to avoid loose this item bonus?

PD: sorry for my bad english :( i can try to write different if you don't understand well what i want to say

Last edited by BeniJmnz; 08-24-2017 at 09:05 AM.
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
If it is true, i have another question. could i use cheat! to avoid to loose an equipped item?
Cheat! can't prevent a "lose an Item" Curse, but you can use it to continue gaining the bonus from a "Usable Only By" Class/Race Item if you lose that Class or Race.

I *think* that answers your question; please write back if I've missed the mark.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Moldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You cannot play Hireling during a combat ...
Why? 1.7 Rules says I can play Hireling at any time.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Jethelred

Clarification: Do you mean you can use the Cheat card on an Item you already have In Play? Or specifically one that is Equipped?

Rules: You may change which Items you have Equipped at any time, as long as you are not in Combat.

FAQ: You may change the status of your Items at any time that you are not in Combat (prior to rolling to Run Away) or otherwise engaged (before dealing with the effects of a Curse).

Cheat Card: Play with Item you have in play or when you play an Item from your hand. This item is legal for you to use even if it otherwise would not be.

So, if the Cheat card lets you break rules to use something, and the only limitation on the card is that the Item must be Carried or Played, and you are not allowed to Play Non-one-shot Items during Combat, then the rules add up to you being allowed to break the "change which Items you have Equipped" rule, so long as the Item you are Equipping is already Carried. (This is how my house party has agreed that the rules are written.)

Of course, it's fine for us to continue on with this as a house rule, but I was curious if we were doing it right. Seems like if "even if it otherwise would not be" means "except when Equipping carried Items during Combat", that would be an errata.
Jethelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Yes, but only to make an already-equipped Item legal. You can't use Cheat! to equip a new item during combat.
Andrew is referring to an Item which you have already equipped, but is not legal for some reason.

For instance, you could have an item equipped that is legal only for your Race, but someone curses you to lose your race. That item remains equipped, but does not give you its bonus. You could play a Cheat card in-battle to make that item legal again.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote