Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
Anders

Default Druids and Christians at Camelot

Thinking about an Arthurian campaign. The background is that after the battle with Mordred and the death of Arthur, many of his people retreated to another world. The problem is that I want the Druidic Order - because they are awesome - but they are pagan priests, and the Arthurian world is so steeped in Christianity that it may cause problems. Why would a Christian king allow pagan priests at their court?

So I turn to the hive mind. I have a few ideas of my own but I want to see if there are any better here.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: Druids and Christians at Camelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Thinking about an Arthurian campaign. The background is that after the battle with Mordred and the death of Arthur, many of his people retreated to another world. The problem is that I want the Druidic Order - because they are awesome - but they are pagan priests, and the Arthurian world is so steeped in Christianity that it may cause problems. Why would a Christian king allow pagan priests at their court?

So I turn to the hive mind. I have a few ideas of my own but I want to see if there are any better here.

My impression is that the material by which modern audiences have read about Arthur and Camelot are later revisions of pagan sources by Christians writers, similar to chronicles of ancient Ireland and translations of Norse mythology. Also like the Buddhist treatment of the legend of Monkey.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
Anders

Certainly possible, but I still want a form of Christianity and Druids at the same time.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Dustin

Some ideas:
Christianity doesn't have to be intolerant - an open-minded king and clergy could see peaceful coexistence as the best way to attract hearts and minds.

In some Christian doctrines, the devil only has the power of illusion, to trick you into damning your own soul. So, anybody with *real* magic must have the sanction of heaven, and be one of God's many mysteries.

They could be making common cause against an enemy - Saxons, the Unseelie Court, vampires. Unseelie Saxon vampires...
Old 09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Certainly possible, but I still want a form of Christianity and Druids at the same time.
Greg Stafford solved the problem in Pendragon. His Christian Arthurian Britain follows Peleganism, rather than what has become orthodox Christianity. The crucial difference is that Peleganists don't believe that Christianity is the only way to achieve salvation, although they do believe that it is the best way.

Since Peleganism was a historical form of Christianity, originating in Britain, this is an extremely neat way to solve the problem.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Donny Brook

Quote:
You will need to choose whether to play the two religions as antagonistic or tolerant toward one another.

You could have a Romanized (Christian) Arthur working to make his rule palatable to a still mostly pagan native population. Christianity could be a foreign import that lacks awareness of the deep local reality of pagan beliefs.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
A Ladder

You could have a form of Syncretism which blends Druidic beliefs and Christianity together. So that the "gods"/"spirits" of druidism are really just forms of either Christian saints or angels. Similar to how Haitian Voodoo and Catholicism have formed a blended religion.

This way they are not incompatible but just different facets of the same way that higher powers interact with the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Greg Stafford solved the problem in Pendragon. His Christian Arthurian Britain follows Peleganism, rather that what has become orthodox Christianity. The crucial difference is that Peleganists don't believe that Christianity is the only way to achieve salvation, although they do believe that it is the best way.

Since Peleganism was a historical form of Christianity, originating in Britain, this is an extremely neat way to solve the problem.
I would suggest you try and pick up some of the material for PENDRAGON in PDF format. It has the benefit of also giving you some ideas you can convert for use with GURPS.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Greg Stafford solved the problem in Pendragon. His Christian Arthurian Britain follows Peleganism, rather than what has become orthodox Christianity. The crucial difference is that Peleganists don't believe that Christianity is the only way to achieve salvation, although they do believe that it is the best way.
Pelagianism is indeed a solution. I've already given some thought to it being a strange form of Christianity.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
Randyman

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I would suggest you try and pick up some of the material for PENDRAGON in PDF format. It has the benefit of also giving you some ideas you can convert for use with GURPS.
Greg Stafford deserves a (posthumous, unfortunately) honorary PhD in Arthurian Studies for his work in Pendragon, especially for The Great Pendragon Campaign. If you RPG, you need to read Stafford's work.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arthur, camelot, druids, peleganism