Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Tori1332

Default Pressure points & chronic pain question

From what I understood, if i target vitals and suceed against the oponent in my pressure points check, i can choose to induce chronic pain, but will the disadvantage be "turned on" for the 2d duration?

Also, while the oponent is under the effect of pressure point induced chronic pain, can i use it again for another effect?

The reduction caused by the chronic pain affects active defenses and/or will rolls against afflictions?

Last but not least, How do the status reduction of chronic pain interacts with low and high pain threshold?
Tori1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Pressure points & chronic pain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
From what I understood, if i target vitals and suceed against the oponent in my pressure points check, i can choose to induce chronic pain, but will the disadvantage be "turned on" for the 2d duration?
Keep in mind that this is an optional use of Pressure Points. The basic use would let you paralyze a limb or induce suffocation. I think it's fair to treat "Chronic Pain" as simply Pain for the duration.

Quote:
Also, while the oponent is under the effect of pressure point induced chronic pain, can i use it again for another effect?
I believe that's fine, though it might have to target a different body part.

Quote:
The reduction caused by the chronic pain affects active defenses and/or will rolls against afflictions?
See "Temporary Attribute Penalties", Basic pg 421. Shock, pain and similar temporary penalties reduce the attribute and associated skill rolls, but not derived attributes (IQ penalties don't reduce Per or Will) or defense rolls (active defense, resistances, Fright checks, etc).

Quote:
Last but not least, How do the status reduction of chronic pain interacts with low and high pain threshold?
From the Pain affliction, B428: "High Pain Threshold halves these penalties; Low Pain Threshold doubles them."
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Tori1332

Default Re: Pressure points & chronic pain question

Thank you very much for the answer. Solved all my questions in a clear and concise fashion
Tori1332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chronic pain, injury, martial art