Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Misplaced Buckeye

Default You know I had to ask about doing this with Ogre...

For those of you that just logged in today 08/16/18, you saw this notice
In celebration and support of the return of The Fantasy Trip, Steve Jackson Games will release a limited publishing agreement for the game in 2019. Under the terms of the license, writers and illustrators will be able to create original PDFs for sale on Warehouse 23, the Steve Jackson Games web store, and earn royalties for the sale of those works. PDFs offered for sale under this agreement will have the right to use the world of Cidri and the TFT game mechanics, all under an official "Compatible with The Fantasy Trip" logo.
Now comes my question. When can we Ogreists take our turn at this? Some of you have been cranking out stuff for years. Granted the Ogrezine fills this void somewhat but some are more prolific than others and the ability to actually be licensed and supported by SJG would be huge.
I guess the bigger question would be does everything have to be canon or would the Alternate Ogreverse be approved of?
Especially with the new innovation of the playmat M1 and hopefully more to come to continue to energize and build the Ogre fanbase, this seems a logical move forward.
I applaud the efforts of TFT creators and SJG for putting this concept forward.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: You know I had to ask about doing this with Ogre...

The incentive a "Compatible With OGRE" would bring for moving OGRE forward would be exponential.

PDFs are not the only thing that could be used. Another more involved idea is to allow us to submit Unit Record Cards and Scenario Maps which could then be printed in other materials. Here are some possible suggestions for things that could be submitted...

FanMade Units as Unit Record Cards printed on the same card stock as the official Unit Record Cards.

FanMade OGRE Maps Printed on the same Playmat material SJGs is using for the new M1 Map.

FanMade OGRE Artwork

I'll use my own experience here as some examples why this may prove viable while we keep in mind everyone else's FanMade OGRE stuff out there in the wild and what is yet to be created.

One project I've worked on since 2012 has been the FanMade Paneuropean Variant Units. I first posted them over on the OGRE/GEV FaceBook Page. They got 56 Likes with a heart and a wow, and some comments they wanted to see them in plastic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...posted-public/

Thanks to OGRE on STEAM and the Scenario Creator and the newly implemented Map Exporter feature, I have made and exported my first map SHELL SHOCK and am waiting for delivery of it printed on rolled canvas as a test. It will be at 300PPI and 1.5" hexes as the official Maps are. It cost me $40. including S&H.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...7665485364077/
Ideally, I really want it printed on whatever SJGs is using for there Maps. But there is a disappointing impasse and only if SJGs sets us up to be able to sell our stuff in W23 can this work. Otherwise it's all going to just be sitting on sites like FaceBook and Flicker and people can download free copies. But those copies won't be the same material and quality that SJGs could make them in. Most people would want to buy a ready to use product instead of having to do additional craft work (laminating, ect).

The more infrastructure set-up to accommodate us submitting our OGRE stuff the more can potentially sell which will continue to increase the library of available OGRE stuff people can see and buy because people will get inspired and it will just snowball from there.

I really hope this happens with OGRE.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Mack_JB

The trouble with all that that I see is that for the decades when TFT was OOP, TFT was already seeing fan made stuff commercially available, so SJG is just normalizing that already existing avenue for the future.

Ogre was never widely available as a product not made by SJG, so there's no real reason to essentially convert it to the public domain. And all those fan-made Ogre items will require SJG input to bring them up to speed and make them sale ready in the expected quality.

Lastly, TFT adventures / settings aren't quite like Ogre units ... there are already tons of free Ogre units and other items available online, so what financial incentive does SJG have to sell them now?

Last edited by Mack_JB; 08-16-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
so what financial incentive does SJG have to sell them now?
FanMade Units as Unit Record Cards printed on the same card stock as the official Unit Record Cards.

FanMade OGRE Maps Printed on the same Playmat material SJGs is using for the new M1 Map.

FanMade OGRE Artwork printed on quality paper like the OGRE Blueprint Poster.

...but you're right, it's an idea whose time will never come...
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Mack_JB

Those are all things that require SJG to actually print and/or produce a physical item. The fan-made items for TFT are going to be released as PDFs. Apples and oranges.

From the press release: "Under the terms of the license, writers and illustrators will be able to create original PDFs for sale on Warehouse 23" (emphasis mine).

Last edited by Mack_JB; 08-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
Izzy_B

Since Phil has already discussed costs related to M1 production and issues around stocking items for retail, I can’t see this idea as being practicable.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
ColBosch

I'd rather see continued Ogrezine support, even if infrequent. I'm unlikely to buy fanbooks of any sort - well, aside from the ODE supporters - and I've seen far too much "munch" here and elsewhere.

But...if such a license is granted, you're going to be seeing stuff from me. ;)
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I'd rather see continued Ogrezine support, even if infrequent. I'm unlikely to buy fanbooks of any sort - well, aside from the ODE supporters - and I've seen far too much "munch" here and elsewhere.

But...if such a license is granted, you're going to be seeing stuff from me. ;)
...this is the hopeful idea here and why I'm being a little gnat buzzing the idea around the forums...I want to see more OGRE stuff from everyone and maybe SJGs will open OGRE up to us a little so they can grow the IP some more.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I really value a good editor and good playtests, which seems to be a source of big expenses for producing new Ogre products. I believe a fan-produced line of products would distract from that line.

Ogrezine was fan-contributed, but not fan-produced. Drew and company put a lot of effort into it and it shows.

SJGames is currently able to put in a fixed measure of effort into Ogre. They're doing some interesting experiments that seem to be paying off well - reprint of the mat (a surprise for me). I'd like to see them focused on the path they're following.

I would rather see fan-produced work than another dormant period like the one before ODE if it comes to that.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
ColBosch

Oh yeah, if it looks like Ogre will go dormant again, I'd like to see about setting up a "fan support" system. But that's a discussion for later. Right now I am actually pretty happy with the level of support I'm seeing from SJ Games.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote