Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Dungeon Fantasy World for Infinite Worlds Setting

I was just wondering if there were any canonical worlds within the Infinite Worlds setting that would make good Dungeon Fantasy world (Yrth would not qualify because of the societal and religious structure of the world)? If not, do you have ones that you would like to see in the Infinite Worlds setting (I am partial to the world of Conan myself)?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy World for Infinite Worlds Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I was just wondering if there were any canonical worlds within the Infinite Worlds setting that would make good Dungeon Fantasy world (Yrth would not qualify because of the societal and religious structure of the world)? If not, do you have ones that you would like to see in the Infinite Worlds setting (I am partial to the world of Conan myself)?
I always thought that medieval/magical zombie apocalipse would be an excelent DF setting
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Kymage

I think there was a world in one of the source books that was basically Rome with Magic thrown in that might fit that definition as there was references to infinity inc in the chapter on the world. Maybe in GURPS Fantasy. I remember the Infinity Inc Scout being in Rome and coming across Dinosaurs in a Carnival that was arriving in the eternal city.
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymage View Post
I think there was a world in one of the source books that was basically Rome with Magic thrown in that might fit that definition as there was references to infinity inc in the chapter on the world. Maybe in GURPS Fantasy. I remember the Infinity Inc Scout being in Rome and coming across Dinosaurs in a Carnival that was arriving in the eternal city.
Roma Arcana is more sword-and-sandal than hack-and-slash.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Stone Dog

Oh wow.... Dungeon Tourism. Strange visitors with bizarre ways reading out phrases in Common from a small book and trying to find the most dangerous places in the world to go to. Maybe some shades of Log Horizon in there.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Now I'm imagining a clumsy curious dolt: Unkillable Fred. Touring around the multiverse getting into slapstick shenanigans. Probably not so sitcom-y for the locals though.
And for this thread, he wants to go full barbarian despite his lack of skills. Still makes for a great more literal meat shield.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Daigoro

Is it possible to say there's an Yrth-2 with more DF-y social and religious tropes? Is Yrth supposed to be unique somehow in the IW setting?
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Yrth has real world religions. I think it's that using them in a not even semi-realistic or serious manner is a minefield of potential offense causing.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Dr. Beckenstein

What about Ezcalli?
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
What about Ezcalli?
I don't see how Ezcalli is any more suited to Dungeon Fantasy than any other world, or at least any other world with some level of magic, to be honest. There's violence, sure, but the low mana level hits the spellcasters pretty hard, and there's not much reason for there to be dungeons, even non-conventional ones.

It seems to me that, when you're looking for good worldlines for Dungeon Fantasy, you've basically got three criteria:
  • Technology: it should be somewhere in the TL 2-4 range, to support DF's "TL: Ye Olden Times" aesthetic. This also supports the sort of technology needed to build most dungeons.
  • Magic: It should have at least a reasonable number of areas with normal mana, if not the whole timeline being that, to allow spellcasters to function.
  • Limited government control: There should be at least enough areas of the world that don't have strong social structures that freelance monster bashers are a thing that could develop and not get completely slapped down.

With those categories in mind, here are some timelines I think you could set DF in practically:

Azoth-3: It's high-mana, TL 4^, and we know its Europe is in the middle of the 30-Years War. Dungeons will probably be enemy fortresses, and monsters more likely to be constructs than beasts, but it could fit.

Britannica-7: This might qualify, depending on the mana level (it seems like a timeline where normal-mana would be appropriate, but that's just my impression). Heavy Celtic Myth-feel, I would expect, with dungeons being underneath fairy mounds often enough, and monsters being things like afancs, formorians, and so forth.

Ottoman-3: Again, this depends on the mana level. It feels less likely to be normal-mana than Britannica-7 overall, but you could probably justify patches that happen to correspond with interesting adventure locations. Dungeons can be an equal mix of enemy fortresses, palaces, and mystical djinn realms, while monsters can be human enemies and supernatural opponents drawn from the Arabian Nights.

Friedrich: This timeline is the right TL, the right mana level, and the right government level - the only flaw is all the Nazis, and even that's not necessarily a problem as long as you treat them as the opponents. Dungeons will be either medieval castles, or high-tech Raven Division strongpoints, and monsters can be an even mix of medieval bestiary and Nazis (armed with either TL 8 gear, or weird science or weird magic).

Gotha Timelines: As already mentioned upthread, a Gotha timeline is actually quite a good setting. Assume one of them has normal mana, and you've got a pretty much-perfect "points of light" setting, with the Dungeon Fantasy heroes defending their small redoubt against the zombie hordes.

Madland: Its TL is a little low, but the writeup does suggest that most of the human cultures do practice ironworking, which pulls it back up for me - ironworking means you can make practical swords and armor. And the rest of the setting is pretty much perfect for Dungeon Fantasy. The clerics will just have work around not being able to pick a "good" deity.

Lucifer-2: This might suit, if the timeline is normal-mana. The TL is kinda low, but not below the useful point, and exploring the ruins of the Northern Hemisphere sounds like good clean DF fun. Dungeons will be ruins and natural settings, and many ice monsters and strange star-beasts should be expected. For extra fun, make the normal-mana areas places around the craters, where the star-beasts are concentrated.

Lucifer-6: This timeline will definitely work. It's in the right TL range (early TL 2), it's explicitly normal-mana, and best of all, the world's spellcasters are planning to invade and conquer a comet. If you can't think of endless things for a party of dungeon-delvers to do on a mysterious magical comet from space, you should hand in your dice bag.

Burton: Not a bad choice - you'll have to tweak either it or Dungeon Fantasy a bit to make the respective genre tropes mesh, but it's hardly impossible. Dungeon potential all over the place, from palaces and fortresses, djinn creations, and just weird unexplained stuff like Caves of Wonders. Monsters will pretty much be straight out the Arabian Nights.

Camelot-1: This works, though your game will probably be closer to Pendragon than more standard D&D.

Camelot-3: This Camelot, on the other hand, is probably pretty much perfect. It's got the right TL (it's basically a case study for "TL: Ye Olden Times"), the mana level's right, and it draws more heavily on the various Arthurian pastiches and developed legendry that we're familiar with, rather than the older medieval works that Camelot-1 is based on. Dungeons are evil wizard towers and the castles of Black Knights, and monsters can be pretty much anything Lancelot or Galahad would slay.

Mandeville: Another practically-perfect world, especially if your players like the "wander the countryside meeting strange new people (and probably killing them and taking their stuff)" style of play.

Nergal: An excellent timeline for Dungeon Fantasy, particularly if you like to season the meat of DF with some Horror spices.

Nostradamus: A lot like Friedrich, though the politics of this timeline seem a bit more involved and skullduggerous. Bring your bards and swashbucklers, more than your knights and barbarians.

Orichalcum: Pretty much perfect for Dungeon Fantasy, particularly if you like a lot of Greek myth.

Brekilien: This timeline sounds like it has potential, at least. It sure sounds like it's normal- or high-mana, and depending on the whims of the elf-lords, settings for dungeoneering could abound.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, infinite worlds