Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
thrash

Default Evolution of complex ancient societies

Peter Turchin, Thomas E. Currie, Edward A. L. Turner, and Sergey Gavrilets. War, space, and the evolution of Old World complex societies. PNAS Early Edition, http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...25110.full.pdf with supplemental information.

The authors have modeled the evolution of complex societies in the Old World from 1500 BCE to 1500 CE, based on the spread of horse-related military techniques due to warfare and competitive advantage. The model includes a tendency for complex societies to break down when not under selective pressure. They claim to account for 65% of the variation in the historical record with this model.

From a gaming perspective, this model could be implemented on other maps to provide a rich background for fantasy or alternate history settings. The current data could be mined for alternate history turning points: why did history diverge from the model at this point in time?
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Evolution of complex ancient societies

Downloaded. I'll have to read this closely and see if I can use it to give some more shape to that random history generation article I did for Pyramid a while back.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, low tech societies, world building