Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
AllenOwen

Default Fantastic Dungeon Grappling question

Is this also a Nordlond setting question, in two part.

Part I:
So I see in the bestiary for Hall of Judgement and Citadel of Nordvorn have a line called "Control Thresholds" which relates to the Control Point Effects table.

My question is this: Are those thresholds the amount of CP needed to achieve a desired effect on the table, or how much they need to apply?

Example: A bandit has the following Control Thresholds:

1/10xCM: 2 1/2xCM: 6 CM: 12 1.5xCM: 18 2xCM: 24

Do those numbers indicate how many CPs a PC needs to inflict to achieve a desired DX penalty, or are those the maximum CP a bandit can inflict?

I guess the shorter version is what does the Control Thresholds in the bestiary mean?

Part II:

On page 2 of Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, you see a nice piece of art showing a Nordlonding shield maiden fighting a goblin-thing.

Is what she is doing an example of binding with her shield?
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Imbicatus

Default Re: Fantastic Dungeon Grappling question

The thresholds are the Dex penalty that is applied based on the total number of CP on the character. It’s the number on the chart page 4 of Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, but pre filled out for the Control Maximum of each creature. The Control Maximum is equal to the creatures lifting ST
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
My question is this: Are those thresholds the amount of CP needed to achieve a desired effect on the table, or how much they need to apply?

Example: A bandit has the following Control Thresholds:

1/10xCM: 2 1/2xCM: 6 CM: 12 1.5xCM: 18 2xCM: 24

Do those numbers indicate how many CPs a PC needs to inflict to achieve a desired DX penalty, or are those the maximum CP a bandit can inflict?

I guess the shorter version is what does the Control Thresholds in the bestiary mean?
As Imbicatus notes, it's "how many to hit the desired effect on this creature."

As it happens, one of them, the Control Maximum one, is also the most the creature can inflict based on ST and skill using a regular attack; and 2x that value is how much using an AoA.

Quote:
Part II:

On page 2 of Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, you see a nice piece of art showing a Nordlonding shield maiden fighting a goblin-thing.

Is what she is doing an example of binding with her shield?
Absolutely. Shield and sword binds are basically using your weapons (and in my Viking Martial Arts classes, we called the shield 'the primary weapon' to emphasize its importance ) to manipulate the foe or their weapons.

The only difference between a bind and a grapple is that the person on the receiving end can end the control simply by stepping out of range. In the image (drawn by HEMA professional Roland Warzecha, for what it's worth; every piece of equipment in the image he owns personally or has handled at a museum!) you can see that, well, other than the unfortunate decapitation, which tends to reduce available maneuver selection, the hobgoblin could simply back up to break the shieldmaiden's control over him.

(The shieldmaiden is Roland's wife in real life.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
AllenOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
As Imbicatus notes, it's "how many to hit the desired effect on this creature."

As it happens, one of them, the Control Maximum one, is also the most the creature can inflict based on ST and skill using a regular attack; and 2x that value is how much using an AoA.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be certain.

Quote:
Absolutely. Shield and sword binds are basically using your weapons (and in my Viking Martial Arts classes, we called the shield 'the primary weapon' to emphasize its importance ) to manipulate the foe or their weapons.

The only difference between a bind and a grapple is that the person on the receiving end can end the control simply by stepping out of range. In the image (drawn by HEMA professional Roland Warzecha, for what it's worth; every piece of equipment in the image he owns personally or has handled at a museum!) you can see that, well, other than the unfortunate decapitation, which tends to reduce available maneuver selection, the hobgoblin could simply back up to break the shieldmaiden's control over him.

(The shieldmaiden is Roland's wife in real life.)
A Rapid strike, one to bind, the other to attack, or rather she's been working on building up CPs to reduce his DX and then she spent some to get a solid (very solid) strike on him.

I'm subscribed to his youtube channel; he's definitely made the case the Vikings were not mere brutes. They had a method to their madness. A system, if you will.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
AllenOwen

Quote:
Viking Martial Arts classes
Wait..there's a Viking martial arts class now? Where?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Wait..there's a Viking martial arts class now? Where?
Before family life got complex for many parties and Covid shut things down, I was training at Asfolk. There are also chapters of the Hurstwic style training program (similar in some ways, different in others) in various places, especially round Boston, but there's even an Ormbitur chapter in Mexico City!

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-30-2020 at 07:20 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote