Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2020, 05:07 AM   #521
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Steve Jackson Games' GURPS 2020 PDF Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Why worry about this? It has hit all the stretch goals. Folks jumping in at $3 is a good thing. This Kickstarter is giving us an estimate of the number of folks online who are willing to throw even a little money at GURPS, and the more the merrier.
Agreed the $/backer isn't an important metric. The important thing is the number of backers, especially the number of backers who may be new to GURPS.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #522
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post

Agreed the $/backer isn't an important metric. The important thing is the number of backers, especially the number of backers who may be new to GURPS.
Yes – this!

I'm happy that we unlocked all 12 PDFs.

I'm thrilled that we did so with both time to spare and an excess of funds!

But the best part for me is the number of backers. With effort, I can – in the run of normal business – work with freelancers to create PDFs that are at least somewhat profitable. It's exceedingly rare that I can reach 2,600+ people, though! Even back in the "Golden Age" of tabletop RPG book sales, reaching that many people wasn't a guarantee.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #523
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

We've passed $55,000 with 2,699 backers. 114 of whom at the New to GURPS level.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #524
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Yep! 101 at this time(...)
How do you know who's new?
Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #525
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
There's a "New To GURPS" level in the Kickstarter, which gets you the dozen new PDFs and the Basic Set at a discount. That's what's being referred to here. It may be that there are people new to GURPS at other levels, but the ones at that level are very probably new to the game.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #526
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
There's a "New To GURPS" level in the Kickstarter, which gets you the dozen new PDFs and the Basic Set at a discount. That's what's being referred to here. It may be that there are people new to GURPS at other levels, but the ones at that level are very probably new to the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
What TBC said :) Biggercake's webpage has some nice data to play with while you're waiting for the drive to wrap up. The Pledge tab takes you to a text field giving the current (as of the last time the page was updated) number of backers at each of the top pledge levels, and a pie/donut chart that shows the relative number of each pledge level's backers. The $49 level has the fewest backers and isn't shown when I look at it on Chrome (I think it might show it on other web browsers?), but by hovering your mouse pointer on that section of the pie chart, you can get the most recent count. Right now, it's at 115, which I take some (completely undeserved) satisfaction in :D
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #527
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
What TBC said :) Biggercake's webpage has some nice data to play with while you're waiting for the drive to wrap up. The Pledge tab takes you to a text field giving the current (as of the last time the page was updated) number of backers at each of the top pledge levels, and a pie/donut chart that shows the relative number of each pledge level's backers. The $49 level has the fewest backers and isn't shown when I look at it on Chrome (I think it might show it on other web browsers?), but by hovering your mouse pointer on that section of the pie chart, you can get the most recent count. Right now, it's at 115, which I take some (completely undeserved) satisfaction in :D
I'd note that for those wanting to get started in GURPS, while the $49 is good, the $99 is better. That "$54.99 for two PDFs at retail" is effectively $43.55 due to the credit. Or, you can say it's about $55 of your $125 credit, plus another $70 of "worked examples," "tech books," "Power/Skill enhancers," and/or "adventures."

If you have a good idea for what you want to do...that $99 is fantastic for a newcomer. So it's quite possible that there are new folks in that level as well!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #528
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
If I hadn't been about $126.00 away from wrapping up my Wishlist of GURPS things for some projects I might very well have gone for the $49.00 deal.

I am very curious to see how many of the PDFs in the Challenge can be used with strictly the Basic Set. Every reference to a Skill/Advantage/Disadvantage/Limitation/Enhancement that isn't in Basic is a point of frustration for the New Guy. The Forums listings of "Skill/Adv/Disad of the Week" is certainly a help if that is the case. Thank you to all who help with that.

But if this sort of challenge is going to go again I wonder about making one that is dedicated to Beginners. A smorgasbord of PDFs that showcase GURPS adaptability across genres and time periods. Small amounts of work from existing volumes like Low/High/Ultra - tech. Scenario adaptability across those tech levels. Synopsis setting descriptions, either entirely new or cut down from existing sources (as a taste of what they are). Maybe one PDF that ties it all together in a grand metagame of time and dimension hopping. Pepper them with references back to the Basic Set - "If a car chase ensues reference the rules on page xx."
Old 07-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #529
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
I am very curious to see how many of the PDFs in the Challenge can be used with strictly the Basic Set.

From the project page (specifically, the $49 reward level):

"Please note that the PDFs created for this campaign are not stand-alone titles; to use the new PDFs, you will also need to purchase other PDF titles."
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #530
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
From the project page (specifically, the $49 reward level):

"Please note that the PDFs created for this campaign are not stand-alone titles; to use the new PDFs, you will also need to purchase other PDF titles."
That said, I don't think Incense Trail refers to anything but Basic.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf challenge