Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Aman

Default Some Newbie Questions

Played our first game of the new Melee today with my 10yo son. My first game with the new edition, and last game with my old stuff was about 15 years ago!

Anyway, definitely rusty and there may be some new rules or changes I'm acclimating to.

1) Is a character two hexes away from someone with a Pole Weapon engaged? Yes, they can be attacked, but the Engaged definition on p.5 & 9 both say you have to be at one hex.

2) I assume that if you are disengaged, you can't move thru hexes that would result in being engaged, i.e. the three front "F" hexes of a humanoid. I also assume that you CAN move thru Side and Rear hexes [altho that seems a bit optimistic to me in real life, I understand that it is a "swirling melee" and the opportunity to scooch by someone not looking may arise].

3) Pursuant to the above, a fast-moving elf moving second ran completely around a pole-arm wielding fellow who was two hexes away, and attacked him in the rear [with MA12, he could move 6 hexes and attack]. I don't see any reason why not in the rules, as the elf didn't even go thru a F hex of his victim.

4) If I force a retreat on someone whose back is "literally" against the wall, there is no penalty that I can see. Am I missing something? Does anyone use a penalty for such a situation, like a Dx3 roll v. stumbling or something?

We only used melee weapons today, including a Javelin. Will be adding thrown weapons and then missile weapons. Are there some obvious questions or cleanups that I'll be asking about in a couple of days?
:)
Someone knows...

My son enjoyed himself, and is looking forward to entering the arena again.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Some Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
1) Is a character two hexes away from someone with a Pole Weapon engaged? Yes, they can be attacked, but the Engaged definition on p.5 & 9 both say you have to be at one hex.
Jabbers don't engage.

Quote:
2) I assume that if you are disengaged, you can't move thru hexes that would result in being engaged, i.e. the three front "F" hexes of a humanoid. I also assume that you CAN move thru Side and Rear hexes [altho that seems a bit optimistic to me in real life, I understand that it is a "swirling melee" and the opportunity to scooch by someone not looking may arise].
Once you become engaged during your move you stop unless you are at least one hex larger and 1 ST point stronger than those you are facing in which case you may attempt to push them back another hex.

Quote:
3) Pursuant to the above, a fast-moving elf moving second ran completely around a pole-arm wielding fellow who was two hexes away, and attacked him in the rear [with MA12, he could move 6 hexes and attack]. I don't see any reason why not in the rules, as the elf didn't even go thru a F hex of his victim.
If you think that somebody will attempt this then stand still during your movement and twist to face them at the end of all movement.

Quote:
4) If I force a retreat on someone whose back is "literally" against the wall, there is no penalty that I can see. Am I missing something? Does anyone use a penalty for such a situation, like a Dx3 roll v. stumbling or something?
Can't force a retreat if they got no place to go.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Aman

These responses don't seem to be in Melee, or are contradicted by it, e.g. VI FACING says you may always change facing at the end of YOUR movement, so if you are moving first, someone can run around you.

Are they from The Fantasy Trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Jabbers don't engage.

Once you become engaged during your move you stop unless you are at least one hex larger and 1 ST point stronger than those you are facing in which case you may attempt to push them back another hex.

If you think that somebody will attempt this then stand still during your movement and twist to face them at the end of all movement.

Can't force a retreat if they got no place to go.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Terquem

Sometimes, when you are faced by a highly mobile opponent, it is best to force them to "move first" if you win the initiative, thus being able to react to their position after they have moved. If your figure becomes engaged from the rear, and has not yet moved, your figure can "Shift one hex" to at least bring that enemy to the side before they attack.

If you lose the initiative, and your opponent forces you to move first, well, this is what happens when you lose the initiative after all.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
Sometimes, when you are faced by a highly mobile opponent, it is best to force them to "move first" if you win the initiative, thus being able to react to their position after they have moved. If your figure becomes engaged from the rear, and has not yet moved, your figure can "Shift one hex" to at least bring that enemy to the side before they attack.

If you lose the initiative, and your opponent forces you to move first, well, this is what happens when you lose the initiative after all.
Yeah, that's how I read it - except if you haven't moved you may turn freely - 180+ at the end of your movement phase - so can't be attacked in the rear.

This will become a lot more important when we have multiple fighters in the arena!
Old 04-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
hcobb

Quote:
These responses don't seem to be in Melee, or are contradicted by it, e.g. VI FACING says you may always change facing at the end of YOUR movement, so if you are moving first, someone can run around you.

Are they from The Fantasy Trip?
ITL 111: "If a figure has not yet moved, it is perfectly legal for it to turn in place during its movement phase to face a figure attacking from behind. A figure which has already moved, of course, may not change facing again."
Old 04-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 111: "If a figure has not yet moved, it is perfectly legal for it to turn in place during its movement phase to face a figure attacking from behind. A figure which has already moved, of course, may not change facing again."
I cannot find this on page 111 of my copy, do I have the wrong version saved?

Ah found it on numbered (pdf content) page 112 - edit
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I cannot find this on page 111 of my copy, do I have the wrong version saved?

Ah found it on numbered (pdf content) page 112 - edit
Here is my fix to make the PDF page labels match to the printed page numbers:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Typos
Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
Skarg

Quote:
In addition to the rule from ITL others mentioned about standing still to be able to change facing after your opponents' movement...

In general when you move first, you want to think about where your foes could move, and try to deny them good moves like that, but it can be tricky if you don't know their MA. If you stood another hex or two further away, or near an obstacle of ally, they may not be able to get behind you.

Another option is to move up to them and face them directly, so they're engaged and can only shift one, which will still be a Front hex.

Quote:
Yes, there used to be exactly that rule in original Melee, and as recently discussed in another thread here, many of us still prefer to use that roll. I.e. when someone is forced to retreat but can't, roll 3 dice versus adjusted DX or fall down.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
Jeff Lord

The rule on pg. 111 of ITL reads ". . .during its movement phase. . " not "the" movement phase (i.e. not at the end of all movement).

My understanding would be that if you lost initiative and were forced to move first then you are out of luck if someone manages to get behind you, whether you stood still during your move or not.

Last edited by Jeff Lord; 04-14-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engaged, melee, rule questions