Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2017, 05:00 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Pyramid #3/94: You Gotta Get a Gimmick, expanded?

Greetings, all!

Steven Marsh has a worldbuilding-oriented article dedicated to facilitating diversity among different factions/civilizations. Alas, Random Thought Tables can't go in depth. But I do like the goals of the article, and am interested in better working through the ways of creating diversity among factions.

I do find that I'm gravitating away from some of them and towards others. Notably, the 'monstrous' one is IMHO of very narrow application, since usually most factions are meant to be playable in my games. The 'backnostril' one seems good when it can be used, but among many factions of a single species, it seems almost impossible to apply.
Finally, the 'bomb with thrusters' (doctrinal) one is one I find unsatisfying, as differences in factional abilities to shape the factions' doctrines.

That pushes me strongly towards What's a Turboencabulator, which is considered a more meh variant. But perhaps there are others? Or perhaps there are ways of making it a better one?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Pyramid #3/94: You Gotta Get a Gimmick, expanded?

Bomb with Thrusters is the one that actually appeals to me most. but not as extreme as the first presentation. Most factions will have innate advantages and disadvantages from a manufacturing standpoint. This is due to culture, which scientists and engineers they have, and which resources are plentiful.

I think GURB's brand loyalty article is a good place to go for ideas. The perks aren't overwhelming, but they are meaningful. If you feel one is too restrictive, create two or three "brands" that a faction has access to.

For example:

Poorly made, good ergonomics, Lighter.
Heavy, Energy Efficient.
Information Efficient, Harder maintenance.

All of these are good flavor pieces that don't change actual tactics that much, but do have a small impact.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
divergent tech, divergent technology, divergent tl, pyramid #3/94, pyramid 3/94, technology, technology level