Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: How does 'reloading' relate to other actions?

Tod uses a goat's foot to span a 500 lbs crossbow for one shot every ten seconds with results about correct for a light crossbow. The problem is that TFT armor is about half as effective as it ought to be.
https://todsworkshop.com/blogs/blog/...anning-methods
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Brazen Hussey

Yeah, but I really wouldn't want to mess with the armor rules cuz then it seems like everything would need to be recalibrated from scratch.

From the vids I've watched, the goat's foot does seem like maybe the fastest means of spanning a crossbow. I notice that Tod tends to toss it on the ground though, while in TFT you'd want to re-sling it in case you were going to move, and that might save him a couple seconds? But I agree that you can make the argument a light or medium crossbow could be fired every other turn by someone with good dexterity.

Of course, over the centuries you've got many different crossbow designs and tools for spanning them, while in the game most of us are only going to use a few. In your part of Cidri, there might be only three spanning methods available and goat's foot isn't one of them.

I've put together house rules for bows. Still tinkering, of course. I'm not trying to turn the game into a simulation, but I'd like the bow rules to be more intuitive and to emphasize the difference between choosing a bow or a crossbow. I don't know if hardly anyone else would be interested, but I seemed to need to do this.

When we're looking at real world use, that's typically for hunting or for military use. In a small unit game, like TFT, how much damage per second a character can produce is a huge factor. But in a military battle it makes sense to make a heavy crossbow that you can only fire twice in a minute. In battle you need range and you probably don't have enough quarrels to last through the whole battle anyway. Also, you may well have an assistant who is cocking one bow for you while you aim and fire with the other. You probably wouldn't be likely to bring a monster like that with you into a dungeon skirmish situation.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
KevinJ

Another video from Tod's Workshop. watch him cock the 350lb crossbow with a goat's foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC30A6noRmY

Keep in mind that Tod is not a professional "crossbowman" as expressed by the Crossbow Talent.