Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: question about the cabal and Merlin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
They wouldn't like it and would prefer to ignore it. Secrecy and monopoly are important to the Cabal; magic is too widely known and understood on Merlin-1, they don't have much of a competitive advantage there. If they became aware of the Merlin-1 CIA's worldhopping, some of the more aggressive Lodges might think it important (and easy) to snuff the place with a nuke before it becomes established across the multiverse.
Magic isn't a monolithic concept. Cabalists will still have a monopoly on mutiverse knowledge, gate magic, and extradimensional entities and dangers.
Merlin 1 may be officially off limits as too dangerous or just a hassle. But how often do cabalists obey rules they might profit from breaking?

Nukes could fracture the time line tossing chronoclasts across the multiverse having nightmarish effects on unrelated zones and planes.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's an alternative to Quick and Dirty or Slow and Sure, the magic items so produced WILL work. But for the industrial enchantment itself, it's an iffy question. Steampunk also included it, so presumably it does work on other timelines, but anything beyond THAT involves in-universe physics/meta-physics and is beyond the scope of this thread.
I can see that. It's been a while since I read the Technomancer material. Literally anything and everything is subject to change based on time line specifics, so by definition can't be defined in general terms. I agree.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's an alternative to Quick and Dirty or Slow and Sure, the magic items so produced WILL work. But for the industrial enchantment itself, it's an iffy question. Steampunk also included it, so presumably it does work on other timelines, .
There's a Merlin-2 and 3. Industrial Enchantment works there too.

Industrial enchantment is only one part of the magic on Merlin-1 anyway.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Magic isn't a monolithic concept. Cabalists will still have a monopoly on mutiverse knowledge, gate magic, and extradimensional entities and dangers.
Merlin 1 may be officially off limits as too dangerous or just a hassle. But how often do cabalists obey rules they might profit from breaking?
IW135 says other wise on most of that, the FBI knows about The Secret and likely has gate magic and the rest of that.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Erasmus Rooke's faction attempts to infiltrate and rip knowledge wholesale, devoting considerable effort as soon as the discovery is made. The rest stay away as groups, but a few individual tech-focused Lodges and rogue Taurus mages (who get a bonus for the decans Iudal and Ouare, if you're using that optional rule) go in hard, too. Some (probably poorly-coordinated) effort is made to prevent Merlin-1 from discovering the Cabal homeline, but the vast majority of Cabalists ignore it as low-priority unless and until there is an imminent threat from them.
What is the Cabal homeline again? IIRC it's the Roma Arcana worldline or several worldlines right?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #16
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
What is the Cabal homeline again? IIRC it's the Roma Arcana worldline or several worldlines right?
The Cabal's home timeline is unknown, if they even have one, but probably a low-mana world that outwardly resembles an echo.

While the prevalence of magic on Merlin dilutes the Cabal's biggest advantage when it comes to infiltration and control, I suspect there are several Cabalists who maintain a presence there nonetheless. Merlin is a great place to perform magical research, since you don't have to hide the fact that that's what you're doing, and you also have access to all the research that the Merliners are doing themselves. Kavanagh, in particular, almost certainly has opened an Aeon Laboratories research campus in the Opal Valley.

Last edited by Diomedes; 03-12-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Gold & Appel Inc

Oh yeah, I completed spaced Kavanagh / Aeon. They'd be all up in this too, with a quickness, possibly with an open PR campaign with his disembodied head stumping for funding. "Hi, I'm Al Kavanagh. Just a regular corporate head [live studio audience laughs] at home, but I've opened the borders between dimensions to bring exciting investment opportunities to you. Contact your broker to find out what possibilities we can open up to expand the dimensions of your stock portfolio today!"

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 03-12-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
There's no real indication they have. I think Cabals sprouted up independently in multiple wainscot settings and then made contact with each other. But they have no actual leaders and hence no headquarters.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
jovos

What about the world depicted in the Gurps Cabal book.
jovos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovos View Post
What about the world depicted in the Gurps Cabal book.
That's not in the Infinite Worlds setting: it assumes a single Earth, infested with a hidden Cabal. Reconciling it with the Infinite Worlds takes a bit of work, and the natural assumption tends to be that the Cabal was formed as a way to prevent wars between groups of mages from different worlds.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, technomancer